Rockefeller University

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Rockefeller University President Marc Tessier-Lavigne

Marc Tessier-Lavigne

Excellent place to work

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsExcellent benefits, better pay than the average academic institution. Good starting point for any scientific career.

ConsA bit difficult to get to being four avenues from the nearest subway stop. This salary combined with student loans (if you have them) makes finding affordable housing in range on the university a challenge.

Great place to work!

Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosworking with very talented scientists and researchers
    affordable housing with subsidy and benefits

Consit's a relatively small research-oriented institute, so there are not well-organized programs for career development for postdocs and students after RU

Great Internship!

Animal Technician (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAmazing facility. Loved it all. Really got my hands in everything and everywhere. I would maybe return.

ConsDidn't foster a team environment but great if you prefer to work independently. Maybe it was because I was an intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much direction but I figured it out and I guess I impressed them because each department offered me a job. So pay more attention.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, very smart scientists, excellent learning environment

New York, NY

ProsGreat people, very friendly. Beautiful campus environment. The work life balance is wonderful, because it's a university. The reputation is amazing, especially among the rest of the NY institutions.

ConsPay was not up to par, especially to be located in NYC. The work in my particular department was repetitive. Not much transparency or room to move upwards.

Postdoc at Rockefeller University

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAt cutting edge of science

ConsNo work/life balance at all.

Great Science

Research Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsWorld class scientists make it an excellent research enviroment

Consunprofessional HR ,lab mangers and technicians

Advice to Senior Managementlab assistants need to be closely managed...they are being paid to do nothing

Well meaning administration committed to excellence

ProsGreat benefits, excellent facilities, smart coworkers, cooperative culture. People at Rockefeller are dedicated and capable, and do their part to support the university's mission and its students and faculty.

ConsLow turnover means little room for advancement, experience will vary depending on the personality of your supervisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementPreserve the academic culture.

Great place to start if you don't know what career to pursue after and undergraduate degree in the life sciences.

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros-Great place to get lab experience if you are deciding between medical school or a Ph.D program
    -Great benefits such as reimbursement for classes taken outside of the university and good health benefits

ConsThe types of lab skills you will learn will vary depending on which lab you end up in.

Great, if not the best, environment to work in but overall salary for an RA position low

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe Rockefeller Univ. is an amazing place to work at. There are, as many people know, a number of excellent scientists here. Core facilities and their availabilities are nothing compared to any other academic institutions I have ever worked at. The campus is very small, and everyone works "together." If you want something, you'll get it, whether that be on campus or outside the campus (cornell, columbia, Mt. Sinai, NYU to name a few that collaborate with many at RU). The HR is on top of everything. Again, it's a small place; things are well taken care of (this include the landscape, too!). Oh, the benefits are second to none. 20days of vacation time?? I have never heard of it. Are we in Europe?? Actually, it's VERY diverse, too. Most likely, a lab consists of less than 50% Americans and the rest from all over the world.

ConsThe only cons:
    1. The salary is not realistic (for RA) for living in and around NYC. One would typically get 3%-3.5% raise annually, which is NOT even enough to cover annually rising rent. Starting salary for undergrad is 38000, masters 40000. It's still better than (i hear) other academic institutions, but it's hard to get by without spending your saving (if one has ANY) or relying on one's parents (again, if you have any).
    2. Depending on which lab, I think, but RAs are pretty much treated as "technicians." NOT research assistants. Most postdocs whom we work with would only expect you to do bench tasks. You would probably have to really demand you want to participate more. In such a case, you'd be working much longer hours than full time in order to attain more intellectual independence. BUT you would never get paid more. the max salary for RAs is 50000 or so.

Probably one of the best places to work in academic biomedical research science.

Research Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood salary (for academia - obviously does not compare well to industry), great benefits / insurance plans etc., amazing housing provisions. World class core facilities and scientific environment. Tolerable level of bureaucracy.

ConsNo complaints that are not common to academia at large.

Worked for Rockefeller University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockefeller University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rockefeller University CEO Marc Tessier-Lavigne. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Rockefeller University employees.