Rocket Fuel

www.rocketfuel.com

Rocket Fuel Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Rocket Fuel – Redwood City – “Water View”

Rocket Fuel CEO & Founder George John

George John

Pros
  • Free food, okay benefits (when HR finally decides to set you up)(in 11 reviews)

• Smart people, respect for engineers(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work-life balance and sub-standard compensation and benefits(in 3 reviews)

• There are some growing pains in terms of scaling, but I'm not too worried(in 4 reviews)

"Hyper-Growth = Lot's of Opportunity"

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros-- Love all of the amazing, talented people I get to work with and learn from
    -- Career opportunity - quickly promoted
    -- Amazing product
    -- Growth mode - fun, if you're flexible and ok with ambiguity
    -- Easy access to Execs
    -- Great benefits - free food - snacks - gym - unlimited vacation

Cons-- Commute
    -- All departments still building, scaling and maturing
    -- If you're not comfortable working at a company that's in hyper-growth mode, you need lots of attention, and a department, policy and procedure for everything (like you'd find at an older, bigger, more established organization) this probably isn't the place for you.

Great Atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis company has a really great work environment. You get to work with a diverse group of people who really enjoy their job and the company. The work provides a great challenge while providing the support you need to learn. This company provides great perks such as snacks and meals catered each day. The campus is right on the bay, and there are great amenities such as a gym, volleyball courts, walking tracks, etc.

ConsJust the normal cons that go along with any job

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Typical SV tech company

ProsCEO and other executives care about employees being happy. Flexible work schedules. Lots of perks like free lunch, food trucks, ping pong, gym. Great health benefits and 401k. Cool product. Growing company.

ConsEntitled attitude is prevalent. Poor leadership. Culture is too relaxed and unprofessional on many fronts.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to over please employees. Put the hammer down. It's like management are modern parents that are raising entitled millennials.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not so great place to work

Anonymous (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsFree food, okay benefits (when HR finally decides to set you up)! Fully stocked kitchens. Free parking. Can't really think of any more pros.

ConsTerrible HR department.
    Lack of support from management.
    Upper management are bottlenecks.
    Lack of training.
    Lack of policy and follow through.

The HR department is the most unprofessional, unorganized and truly dysfunctional department I have ever worked with. They can't get your benefits right. Then they blame you for their mistakes. My paychecks were never right and they won't take responsibility for their mistakes!
    That's just the HR department! This department is the worst but the others aren't much better!

This company can't get it together and set policy. They have no procedures in place. People just make crap up as they go. When a manager comes in and tries to remotely set policy, staff and HR make YOU look like the bad guy or bully of the department because your holding people accountable. God forbid we try to act like a real company and abide by rules and regulations! There is no accountability when employees make mistake after mistake. Upper management are bottlenecks and can't make decisions to help managers do their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together! Start supporting your managers. When your managers go to you for help, support them instead of reprimanding them for coming to ask for help to fix problems that THEY should of fixed in the first place!!! Set some damn policy and enforce it!

Weird place to work

ProsOverall, the Engineering team is super-smart. There is a lot of passion regarding code excellence, and world-class infrastructure.

ConsThe team seems to pull in different directions. Too many folks aren't sure how their efforts tie to the product strategy, whatever that may be. Many of the long-standing veterans are leaving which has led to a leaderhip gap. Communication overall is very erratic.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy do we need over 20 VPs? The company is too hierarchical.

Bad, could have been much more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros1. Free food
    2. Bunch of really smart people around
    3. Open culture

Cons1. Hideous management
    2. Absolutely horrible HR
    3. No accountability of the higher management
    4. Tough to grow, given the unidimensional nature of the product

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire some good people in HR dept. Hire people based on their qualifications, not based on connections to people in the company.

Good company, but not an easy place to work

ProsSmart people, free food and sincere efforts to make things 'fun' even if a bit superficial (no different than most other valley starts, I say perhaps cynically).

ConsInternal politics between teams is painful. The engineering vs. Ops vs. Products dynamic is painful to both watch and experience. Too much gossip and back-stabbing.

Also annoying is the company's pitch around adding value to marketing through our use of big data, artificial intelligence, etc. In the end, all we do is serve display ads. Not exactly world-changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify and coach the folks that create a culture of in-fighting.

Favortism and discrimination all over

Anonymous (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsI no longer work here.

ConsPolitics all around. Hard to get hired unless you are a friend. Unfair compensation practices and HR is a horrible mess. I found out that I make much less than my co-worker doing the same job. I'm pretty sure that it's because I didn't come in as a friend of the manager. They have these lazy HR parters that are useless on these things. They flake on meetings and take eternity to get anything done. It's so unorganized and no one seems to care.
    Doesn't anyone ever get fired around here? They need a new HR staff because you can't fix stupid.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes. You will lose many good employees if you allow this to continue. There's too many jobs available for this crap. Value your good employees and make people accountable for their mistakes.

growing

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

Proswork with smart people. chance to grow but will need to prove yourself

Conslack of management. need more resources

All of the 1 star ratings are giving Rocket Fuel too much credit!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsIt's a pay check. Easy parking.

ConsThere appears to be rampant sexual, age and racial discrimination. And, God help you if you complain to HR.

Complete and utter incompetence from HR in particular, but it extends across all disciplines at leadership level all the way to the top.

This is one of the most disrespectful work environments I've ever work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck with the class action law suit that will more than likely come from your bigotry and hostile work environment.

I am amazed at the number for reviews just like mine. Guess what? Your problem is not a single disgruntled employee. You have serious HR & Leadership issues.

Worked for Rocket Fuel? Contribute to the Community!