Rocket Fuel Reviews

Reset
3.5
Rocket Fuel Interim-CEO Monte Zweben
Monte Zweben

Pros
  • free food makes you fat and add pounds (in 12 reviews)

• Company is growing extremely fast (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains from going from a small to a large business in a short amount of time (in 6 reviews)

• If your in sales or ops, enjoy the work/life balance (or lack there-of) (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good company, navigating the waters of change with dignity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been here for about 6 months, and have seen some of the change happen first hand. I started as a contracted employee, and am now full time. The people here are kind, helpful, and friendly. Management has had to make some tough decisions, but they are turning things around very well. The interim CEO is so awesome. He is REAL, smart, approachable, and definitely knows what he is doing. I have heard many employees say they wish we could just keep him for the long haul. The new SVP of HR is also a breath of fresh air. They have brought in the leaders we need to help guide us through change and get us back to solid ground. They are excellent at communicating, which is a HUGE plus. I feel valued as a person and employee when we are told what is happening, and that makes people want to work harder because you trust your employer. I enjoy coming to work everyday, and respect those around me. Of course, things ebb and flow like with ANYTHING in life, but it's important to recognize an employer who is working hard to make things right after our explosive growth put us a little bit out of orbit. The CFO, and CRO are both very approachable as well. I have been at other companies where people at that level don't engage and connect with people throughout the organization, but they are honestly all welcoming of emails, meetings, and questions regardless of your position within the company. For me, that is a HUGE plus. When I see the CFO/CRO/CEO etc in the elevator it is nice to be acknowledged and see the "human" side that in other companies you don't always. The free lunches help too, and great benefits packages.

Cons

Many of the negative people have left, but there are definitely still some. A few people are holding on to negativity in a time where there just isn't space for that. At the end of the day, we ALL make the choice to work here, so be happy about it. Things won't always be incredible every day, all day, but if you are holding on to what's bad in a time when we are moving ahead, then perhaps some should consider other roles. On a side note, bring back lemons in the kitchens!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who are holding others back, and recognize that the people who are weathering the storm have been through a lot. We need to continue to team build, and have transparency. Secrets only fuel uncertainty, so continuing to communicate to us all helps build confidence, faith and trust.

Jun 15, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thanks for the review. Good advice on transparency. We will continue to work on improving our communications and ensure we are authentic and real.

2. Love my Job!

Current Employee - Enterprise AE in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise AE in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rocket Fuel (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company that has incredible technology. We IPO'd and changes were made with management like any company that goes public. My campaigns perform exceptionally and I love the people I work with at Rocket Fuel. We really have some incredible talent from HQ down to small markets. Work/life balance is pretty good and I enjoy working here. I actually have had a couple recruiters/ companies try and get me to leave but, why leave when I'm completely satisfied with my work life. We are ever changing with technology and new advances and it's a state of the art company and culture.

Cons

I don't really have any cons to report.

Advice to Management

We are still in the process of figuring out work flows with new management but, have updates and visibility into what HQ execs are thinking and they come to the Chicago office often to visit in person. Although we are public, employees still have access to the execs out of Cali.

Jul 10, 2015 – Employer Representative

So glad to hear you love your job and are proud to be a Rocket Fueler. E-staff has enjoyed visiting the Chicago office, that has strong talent, resilience and is leading a critical project for our ... More

3. Growing Pains

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time

Pros

Smart folks Great team Truly a powerhouse in the programmatic space

Cons

Grew horizontally, not vertically with no clear message Quick shift to being more corporate to course correct Many changes made for the good of the company are hurting dedicated long term employees

Advice to Management

Take client feedback into consideration; empower middle management to make decisions

5. Opportunities for growth and to make a positive difference

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is going through some growing pains but now that the smoke has cleared, what we are seeing are Sr. Leaders in key positions with the right level of experience needed to take Rocket Fuel to the next level. There are tons of opportunities for folks who want to work hard and make a real difference. Change equals more opportunities and that is a great thing to have. Some of the people who are leaving aren't the right fit for Rocket Fuel as of today and have been on cruise control by not doing much for the past couple of years. The ones that are still passionate and are on board will have plenty of changes to be involved in this positive momentum we are building.

Cons

This is a fast paced environment with a lot of change. Someone once told me, there are three types of people in life: 1) Those that make things happen 2) Those that watch people make things happen and 3) Those that are trying to figure out what just happened. We need more of the #1 folks here and of course some #2's. This might not be the best environment for the third group.

Advice to Management

Keep on being transparent, continue to share the key wins and the areas of improvement. We need to honestly reassess ourselves and continue to challenge that company to reach new heights.

Jul 10, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thanks for your feedback and having a positive attitude during our transition. I agree, with change comes opportunity and Rocket Fuel is creating many opportunities for those that are embracing the ... More

6. Account Executive

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time

Pros

Excellent company culture - very "Googley" with a nap room, snack closet, lunch catered in, game room, happy hours, and generally very FUN environment. People are amazing to work with, very collaborative, and the product blows away the competition in the marketplace.

Cons

New processes for new products aren't smooth right off the bat internally.

Advice to Management

Ensure accountability for who is doing what when new products are being rolled out. Not only so sales has a good handle, but also sales engineering and make sure the client understands the process through thorough sales materials.

Jul 10, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thank you for your input. Good advice. With the various products and features being rolled out, getting tighter around our launch for sales and our clients to be prepared is critical.

7. Great people and opportunities for growth as the company develops its offering.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing, which creates a great culture. The performance of the technology is unmatched with great support teams.

Cons

Career development needs to be emphasized more to retain talent. Training and documentation as well from the merger and brand new products.

Advice to Management

Set goals with employees that align with the company vision.

Jul 10, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thanks. We soft launched an OKR system for the 1H, but are formalizing it more broadly for the entire company for 2H. You should see goals aligned to our overall strategy through a new collaboration ... More

8. Great place to work, learn, and grow.

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Been in the digital ad world for last 8 years with half that time spent at Rocket Fuel. Best part about being part of the sales org is having a great product to share and a support team to execute and maintain. Great benefits, daily lunch, good work life balance and some great friendships made here - its a great team. Company has a strong vision and hope we do get there.

Cons

FUD from negative press that lacks truth.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

Jul 24, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thanks for your feedback. We can understand your frustration when you see coverage that creates FUD in the market and with our teams. There is a lot of good things happening at Rocket Fuel these ... More

Don't discount Rocket Fuel. We're winning.

Current Employee - Analytics in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analytics in New York, NY

I have been working at Rocket Fuel (More than a year)

Pros

Truly fantastic individuals. Impressive and varied backgrounds, genuinely intelligent, personable, and passionate. Makes most of the typical job stresses of a startup turned public + acquisition + layoffs almost ok. Also, awesome office space, free food and snacks, decent health, actual unlimited pto, flexible work from home, oh, and seriously unparalleled tech.

Cons

Some serious snags from post IPO. Grew too quickly, stock price, bonuses on hold, morale absolutely dropped in Q1, we still have lowish morale, bonuses/raises/promotions should be addressed and soon. And some minor whining: Food was not great but we got a new caterer. Wish we had some kind of rotation in snacks (or maybe not - Rocket Fuel 15 is a real thing) Finally figure out career progressions. There are people who are leaving who are perfectly happy but have no where to go. Don't lose these people.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. But please, please, please do not lose our nerdy but loveable focus in hiring new employees. If it ain't broke. Most people who are staying at Rocket Fuel are staying because we know it will be darn hard to find the same impressive collection of people - what you did worked. Don't drop the ball now that we're hiring again. Keep the Nerdy but Loveable. People who are passionate, care about what they do, will always step up, who will volunteer to help out a fellow employee, to stay late to work with their pod to get a job done not just to get it done but to actually do the best job possible. Keep finding those people. Stay Nerdy but Loveable.

Jun 29, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We want to make sure it is really clear: Bonuses are not on hold. When Rocket Fuel kicked off the new year, we changed our company-wide bonus program from quarterly to ... More

Happy Rocket Fueler - and there are many of us

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great to work with lots of smart people. Whether you deal with analysts, engineers, salespeople, or product managers, these are definitely some of the most talented people in their field. In addition, the company has good benefits, a cutting-edge unlimited PTO policy, free food and snacks, happy hours, and encourages celebrating small team victories. Highest levels of management have really upped their game in terms of communicating with employees recently. Individual Rocket Fuelers who have great managers (and there are many of them) will have a great experience. Challenging work. Opportunities for growth. I feel lucky to be here and work for my manager. The company recently had a reduction in force. If you are still here, it's because you were deemed to be essential. If you're recently hired, you can be assured of the same thing. I'm sorry for those who got caught in the reduction as we corrected some previous hiring excesses.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to determine exactly where the buck stops. Some blurred lines of responsibility. Some more formal processes needed. Nothing one wouldn't expect in a company learning to manage a workforce twice the size it had two years ago. And none of these "cons" prevent me from saying I'm very happy to be here, and enjoy coming to work every day.

Advice to Management

Working with an interim CEO and an e-staff who are trying to effect changes can be challenging. There are numerous requests for data and analysis (and sometimes even features) which are being funneled down and require fast turnaround. Suggestions: 1. Acknowledge and appreciate what you are asking from middle management and individual contributors. 2. Remember their efforts when we come out on the other side of this transformation. 3. Lead by example when it comes to our "spend it like its yours" cost-control philosophy. 4. Champion and further a culture of excellence which takes pride in quality with as much fervor as the Rocket Fuel of 2013 and 2014 relished speed and growth.

Jun 22, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thank you for your review and the great advice. There is a lot of passion to win and It is a good reminder to slow down to recognize and appreciate as we go along.

Turning Things Around

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interim CEO is making a difference. New CRO has a lot of energy and is driving a lot of change that was sorely needed in the sales organization. The caliber of talent is very strong, the product is very strong and we deliver amazing results for our customers, with strong repeat business. The x+1 integration is finally starting to make solid traction and the energy in some of our major locations are very positive.

Cons

Our Chicago and NY offices are bitter and have bad energy right now - lots of skeptics on the team that should just leave versus bringing us down Turnover is increasing as a result of those that didn't believe a few months ago - short term this is creating a burden on the current team, but longer term we are better off The way we operate internally is fragmented, manual and dysfunctional - chalking it up to growing pains, but we need to see changes soon, as it isn't sustainable.

Advice to Management

You had to make some hard decisions for the company. Keep communicating, sharing context and being transparent.

Jun 15, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thanks for your feedback. It is understandable how certain Rocket Fuel locations could be in different stages of engagement. We have a cool Lean Initiative that is helping with getting our process ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed