Rocket Fuel Reviews

Reset
3.5
Rocket Fuel Interim-CEO Monte Zweben
Monte Zweben

Pros
  • free food makes you fat and add pounds (in 12 reviews)

• Company is growing extremely fast (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains from going from a small to a large business in a short amount of time (in 6 reviews)

• If your in sales or ops, enjoy the work/life balance (or lack there-of) (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good company, navigating the waters of change with dignity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been here for about 6 months, and have seen some of the change happen first hand. I started as a contracted employee, and am now full time. The people here are kind, helpful, and friendly. Management has had to make some tough decisions, but they are turning things around very well. The interim CEO is so awesome. He is REAL, smart, approachable, and definitely knows what he is doing. I have heard many employees say they wish we could just keep him for the long haul. The new SVP of HR is also a breath of fresh air. They have brought in the leaders we need to help guide us through change and get us back to solid ground. They are excellent at communicating, which is a HUGE plus. I feel valued as a person and employee when we are told what is happening, and that makes people want to work harder because you trust your employer. I enjoy coming to work everyday, and respect those around me. Of course, things ebb and flow like with ANYTHING in life, but it's important to recognize an employer who is working hard to make things right after our explosive growth put us a little bit out of orbit. The CFO, and CRO are both very approachable as well. I have been at other companies where people at that level don't engage and connect with people throughout the organization, but they are honestly all welcoming of emails, meetings, and questions regardless of your position within the company. For me, that is a HUGE plus. When I see the CFO/CRO/CEO etc in the elevator it is nice to be acknowledged and see the "human" side that in other companies you don't always. The free lunches help too, and great benefits packages.

Cons

Many of the negative people have left, but there are definitely still some. A few people are holding on to negativity in a time where there just isn't space for that. At the end of the day, we ALL make the choice to work here, so be happy about it. Things won't always be incredible every day, all day, but if you are holding on to what's bad in a time when we are moving ahead, then perhaps some should consider other roles. On a side note, bring back lemons in the kitchens!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who are holding others back, and recognize that the people who are weathering the storm have been through a lot. We need to continue to team build, and have transparency. Secrets only fuel uncertainty, so continuing to communicate to us all helps build confidence, faith and trust.

Rocket Fuel Response

Jun 15, 2015 – Employer Representative

Thanks for the review. Good advice on transparency. We will continue to work on improving our communications and ensure we are authentic and real.

Collaborative, smart people, happy at work, company spirit to analyse areas of underperformance, open to testing ideas

Current Employee - Network Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Network Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) people work as a team, focused on benefits to company 2) very willing to help and share skills 3) welcome challenges to existing approaches when backed-up 4) most people seem happy at work, air of camaraderie

Cons

Mid-peninsula location means lengthy commutes

Advice to Management

as you grow, maintain the open atmosphere of the all-hands mtgs, the connection to employees on the lower rungs and the "excellence through self-examination and correction" which has been evident at all-hands.

Best career decision I've made.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Industry leading technology 2. Interesting and challenging work 3. Well communicated corporate vision 4. Bright, happy co-workers 5. Great corporate culture and perks 6. Hard work is recognized and rewarded 7. Constantly learning There is a real commitment to employee happiness and development. Yes, some teams have more opportunities than others, but the company is very strong and growing with new avenues for advancement opening constantly. Executive vision is very clear and well communicated. People are genuinely happy to work here.

Cons

1. Commute could be better 2. Rapid growth means balancing the chaos of a start-up with the need for more rigid corporate structure and dilutes the culture 3. Work/life balance tends to favor work

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize the people who make this company great and don't lose sight of the culture that makes this a special place to work.

Fun, growing company with rock solid performance

Current Employee - Not An Engineer Don't Play One On TV in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Not An Engineer Don't Play One On TV in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rocket Fuel is, in the words of the CEO, "nerdy but loveable". Fantastic product, great people, and good perks.

Cons

There are some growing pains in terms of scaling, but I'm not too worried. I see good progress.

Great company, fun place to work, good experience

Former Employee - Rocket Scientist in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Rocket Scientist in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hands on experience Really bright people, who really are nerdy but loveable Forefront of RTB advertising technology Great career growth opportunities outside of engineering Company is going places I did not see the politics some other reviewers complained of

Cons

Typical lots of hours startup, but not overly so

So far so good.

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time

Pros

free lunch every day. Also free snacks. company with great potential.

Cons

Haven't found so far. Maybe I can find more in the future....

Great company that is growing very fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great technology, management really cares about employees and keeping them engaged while growing very quickly. Management is very supportive of employees changing roles and trying new jobs to continue their growth and development. It is one of the best companies that I've ever worked at.

Cons

The company is growing so fast that roles can change quickly at times, and the culture is evolving as new employees are hired. I think biggest weakness is that management relies on informal communication and email too much and as we grow we need much more formal communication to ensure everyone is on the same page going forward.

Advice to Management

Hire someone to be in charge of internal corporate communications to publish a semi-monthly newsletter and communicate key hiring decisions or role changes internally quickly and efficiently. Limit emails sent across the company

Best career move ever...what a fun and crazy ride!

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time

Pros

Love the company, culture, growth opportunities, founders, crazy growth...oh, actual technology that WORKS!

Cons

Growth is really hard. You can't make everyone happy and some people can't cut it in this environment - need to assess those that are being brought on / new hires at this time that will continue to contribute to the culture in a positive way.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees, give growth structure and opportunities in all departments and bridge the gap between departments.

Once in a lifetime opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great career opportunity -Learning new skills almost daily -Supportive team and manager -Feels like a family -Fun environment -Lots of free food -Cool company-wide events

Cons

-Long daily commute -Not sure if this is a true Con - we all work a lot of hours, but there's always payoff and it feels worth it.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage a friendly, helpful environment.

11. Fast growth, great tech, fun people.

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, fun, well intentioned people. Fabulous AI based technology. Growth and opportunity abounding.

Cons

Growing pains. Some haven't adjusted to the larger company phase well (see sour grapes reviews for proof of same). Can be hard to get all the info you want/need. Takes more effort than is ideal.

Advice to Management

Keep optimizing, and don't be afraid to make changes when and where they're needed. Change doesn't favor the meek.

RSS Feed </> Embed