Rocket Fuel
www.rocketfuel.com Redwood City, CA 500 to 999 Employees

Rocket Fuel Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
Rocket Fuel – Redwood City – “Water View”

Rocket Fuel CEO George John

George John

Good company, but not an easy place to work

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart people, free food and sincere efforts to make things 'fun' even if a bit superficial (no different than most other valley starts, I say perhaps cynically).

ConsInternal politics between teams is painful. The engineering vs. Ops vs. Products dynamic is painful to both watch and experience. Too much gossip and back-stabbing.

Also annoying is the company's pitch around adding value to marketing through our use of big data, artificial intelligence, etc. In the end, all we do is serve display ads. Not exactly world-changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify and coach the folks that create a culture of in-fighting.

Horrible starting!!!

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time

ProsFree food and drinking. Close drive to home.

ConsHR very not organized. All my paper forms are lost and no one know my salary. They tell me I have to give them information but I never receive anything. My benefit information is wrong after changing 3 times. I hope rest of company better!! So far, just headache!! Maybe I should go back to last company more happy :(

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach HR to be helpful, not blame me!!

All of the 1 star ratings are giving Rocket Fuel too much credit!

I worked at Rocket Fuel full-time

ProsIt's a pay check. Easy parking.

ConsThere appears to be rampant sexual, age and racial discrimination. And, God help you if you complain to HR.

Complete and utter incompetence from HR in particular, but it extends across all disciplines at leadership level all the way to the top.

This is one of the most disrespectful work environments I've ever work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck with the class action law suit that will more than likely come from your bigotry and hostile work environment.

I am amazed at the number for reviews just like mine. Guess what? Your problem is not a single disgruntled employee. You have serious HR & Leadership issues.

growing

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I worked at Rocket Fuel as a contractor for more than a year

Proswork with smart people. chance to grow but will need to prove yourself

Conslack of management. need more resources

Best place I've ever worked

Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is full of intelligent people who I am constantly learning from, but because everyone sees each other as an equal the culture is great. Everyone works hard, but Rocket Fuel acknowledges that and gives back to their employees.

ConsGrowing pains from going from a small to a large business in a short amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to sit down and talk to employees about what can be done better.

Best of the many places I have worked

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time

ProsStill has small company feel while growing like a teenager.
Always trying to find better ways to treat employees.
CEO is always willing to spend time with employees on a one-on-one level.
Trying hard to NOT be IBM or anyone else, just Rocket Fuel.

ConsEmployees having to live through the company transition from small to big. This is good and bad. Some will feel like the train is running them over. Others will embrace this.
Lack of systems can cause the appearance of confusion (part of rapid growth)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on top of the changes and don't let it get away from you. Keeping the "Feel" of the company you started is crucial from the employee standpoint.

Toxic culture beats you down - good luck lasting a year

Chicago, IL

I worked at Rocket Fuel full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat product - consistent renewals, which is wonderful if you're in sales

ConsConstant office gossip, managers don't trust their staff, salespeople fight for books of business and throw each other under the bus, constant drama - absolutely toxic work environment. HR is a hot mess and doesn't have policies in place to manage issues in the workplace, so you are stuck putting up with it. This is the kind of place where you'd email HR and they'd forward it directly to your manager.

It's a popularity contest and those who are favored can get away with just about anything (A $15K/month expense budget? Sure!). Or if you're just a regular sales guy doing what sales people do and you go a bit over budget for a client dinner, good luck getting it paid for.

and finally:

-Management has no regard for actual culture - they just care about revenue.
-If your in sales or ops, enjoy the work/life balance (or lack there-of). Get ready to drop everything for a manager you can't stand.

For the love of God, Don't.Work.At.Rocketfuel

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and honest. Set clear expectations, and stick to them. Quit picking favorites and using that as your basis for who to respect.

It was great! Always free lunch, happy hour, game days, super great culture.

I worked at Rocket Fuel part-time

ProsGreat place to work and enjoyed my co workers

ConsThere wasn't much to improve. I had a great experience!

Growing pains, wild rides, lots of learning, super fun and still going strong.

Senior Rocket Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time for more than a year

ProsContext: I am in the engineering team.

1. Learning opportunities are huge in most major areas of computer science (AI, Big Data and Big Systems).

2. Feels like a small company even after going public. I have to take big decisions and I have to take them responsibly.

3. Ability to make a difference: from mentoring new engineers to enabling new features for customers, my work seems to make a direct impact in the current and future well being of the company.

4. A very high percentage of people are super-competent and a pleasure to work with/learn from.

5. Free food, game room, talk sessions, and most importantly a lot of cool work still left to do.

ConsPackage/benefits are ok - not super great. Management needs to get better at "more wood behind fewer arrows". This manifests itself in many symptoms all over the company - from milestone planning, deliverables prioritization etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe popular solution to many problems is "hire someone to solve it". Maybe we need to introspect a little more and work more efficiently to get it done.

Great work, great people

Senior Rocket Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rocket Fuel full-time for less than a year

Pros* Work is very exciting, diverse and flexible. Its spans a wide range of areas.
* People are excellent, knowledgeable and helpful (great backgrounds)
* Compensation and benefits are very nice
* The company is growing very fast and has great potential. Lots of customers and exchange integrations
* Opportunities to contribute to community (food drive etc.)
* Great work/life balance
* Great office space and location
* Founders / management is very good and accessible

Cons* No cons (its a great company)

Worked for Rocket Fuel? Contribute to the Community!

Rocket Fuel – Why Work for Us?

​ ​​​Work for us. Launch your career into orbit.​​ Rocket Fuel is the fast-growing digital advertising technology company in Silicon Valley that has grown quickly from its founding in 2008. The company is a leader in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rocket Fuel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rocket Fuel CEO George John. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by Rocket Fuel employees.