Rocket Gaming Systems

Add Photos

Ronnie W. Harris

Incompetence at its highest

I worked at Rocket Gaming Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome good people work here

ConsNo raises even when promised by the owner, management is uneducated, management only hires friends or family. Management has zero experience , zero people skills, even when temps are hired the temps openly mock management for incompetence. Ancient technology, no tools, no communication , no support or direction , don't ask for support , tools, or direction or you will be given the hardest job. Other manufacturer openly laugh at the Rocket games. The "solution " to any problem at Rocket is to micro manage and throw incompetent leadership in the way, this place is a joke.
They do not promote from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people! Better yet give it up, you have rode this pony to death.

Worst Job I've Ever Had

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Rocket Gaming Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsStudio folks work well together.
Excellent sales and support crew keep the company afloat.

ConsThe vast majority of mid- and upper-level management are incompetent and unqualified - with a few notable exceptions.

Exceptionally poor technical environment ("platform" software), making development cumbersome, problematic, and time-consuming. Buggy, no documentation, hit-or-miss support. Titles take 2-3 times longer than they should. Worst API I've ever seen.

Constant pressure for (unpaid) overtime.

Constantly changing, conflicting, and overlapping methodologies and processes.

Project management by crises - no forethought, planning, or support.

Outdated product hardware and design; little likelihood for improvement.

Almost no opportunity for career growth or development.

Constant turnover - more than 50% higher than industry average.

Company is financially unstable.

*** Rocket could be a case study for everything to do wrong with a company ***

Advice to Senior ManagementRealistically examine the true capabilities and performance of each member of the 'Executive Leadership Team'. Only one of them is an asset to the company (Product Strategy). All others "talk a good game" but consistently move the company backwards (higher cost, more time, lower quality, less employee satisfaction).

Abandon nonsensical "avant garde" methodologies that look good on paper, but are only partially implemented, continually changing, poorly understood by the workers, and would be totally ineffective even if they were used. Return to traditional, time-tested and effective strategies (perhaps including Agile).

Provide more cohesion between the various operating units of the company; e.g. input from sales and support should be fed back to studio / QA / ELT, input from studio should be fed back to platform.

Modernize the product as the highest priority - it's your only hope for survival.

*** Ron Harris is a GREAT CEO, but he's getting sold down the river by his senior staff ***

stay away from this place

I worked at Rocket Gaming Systems full-time

Prosnone..its a job if you are very desperate for one

Conseverything! raging from little pay, no raises, sexual harassers getting promoted.....horrible place to be..very unprofessional management..sexism! (they hire candidates based on sex and manager was never shy to admit that)... at least one employee quits per month...managers don't care about keeping their employees happy so everyone quits eventually

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement IS the BIG problem with this mess hole..

Good place to work and would have stayed if school weren't so important.

Customer Service (Former Employee)

I worked at Rocket Gaming Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsThere was a lot of new knowledge to learn. Increased my knowledge of computer systems and servers.

ConsBack/leg pains from sitting so much.

Lots of potential but not performing well

Frisco, TX

I worked at Rocket Gaming Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsThe casino industry is very lucrative, and an established company practically can't fail. They do seem to recognize technical talent, and competent engineers have plenty of job security.

ConsThey are stuck with old technology and unwilling to make the change to anything newer because it would cost money. A lot of fundamental problems are nearly impossible to fix because that might break some old software. Instead, they pile on workarounds that make the code base less stable and harder to maintain. Pay and benefits are substandard, and their policies are especially hard on new employees. The upper management is a tight group that reinforce themselves and outsiders are not allowed to make any changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is possible (I would claim that it is necessary) to bring out new hardware and new technology without breaking the existing lineup of products. It would also benefit employees if they were able to make recommendations, even small ones, and seem the company adopt them.

Awful management, but amazing colleagues

Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at Rocket Gaming Systems full-time

Pros1. - The lower tier worker bees are great people to work with. Everyone is fun, and creative, and quite talented. They all want to make good products (see below for continuation of this), but are severely held back and therefore leave

2. Working microwave?

Cons1. - (continued from Pros 1.) HOWEVER. The management stifles everyone's creativity so severely, these creative people are ignored anytime they try to contribute creative input. Any of us, from any position, including artists, who ever try to offer input to improve our games we are waved off like meddling, incompetent children. For a company that keeps promoting progress and innovation, they sure do recycle a lot of the same old tired, unoriginal ideas. And they all come from one source.

2. Lack of planning and time management in the studios, despite many efforts to revise the system for a more successful production pipeline. Products are shipped that look sloppy and inefficiently planned/produced.

3. Outdated software and hardware all around, or refusal to provide necessary equipment at all. They have enough money to constantly spoil their investors, clients, highest level of management, but the studios are working with broken/old/nonexistent tools.

4. Unqualified people in lead/management positions

5. No streamlining of any processes for more efficient production. Instead, new, complicated designs and processes keep getting introduced instead of fixing what's broken in all of the pre-existing products and processes. There is constant contradiction of management wanting studios to make games faster, but while demanding new functions and designs that are not given the proper time for planning/testing/implementation, and therefore break, and therefore delay the game. But of course they make it the studio's fault.

6. Highest level of management has no idea how miserable the lower tiers are. Even when told directly they avert their eyes and ears.

7. Insufficient compensation

8. Very political, petty hierarchy that shows extreme favoritism

9. Leads do not stick up for their art team, and push unrealistic deadlines and expectations on an already stressed and short-handed studio.

10. The smart people are leaving, because they know they deserve better and can get it elsewhere. Soon their staff will be limited to all people who need training but no veterans to do it.

11. Management forces studio personnel into very uncomfortable social situations. Forced, because they are social events scheduled during work days and presented to employees as mandatory. If you do not show up, they look for you.

12. Management/company expects the studios to improve their technical/software and broaden artistic knowledge/software expertise, yet doesn't provide the time for training and practice for
implementation. Yet management makes it out to reflect on employee reviews as their fault.

13. The art development is micromanaged to death, until all that remains is a tiny, shriveled, remnant of what the original design was, and could have been.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomehow the BC offices are totally fine. Notice how happy OK is? The Vegas office is miserable, and it's no mystery why if you start listening. For some reason, the company is too scared to do what is necessary and replace several key people of management and leadership positions. Management just needs to listen to their employees, and stop treating them like unruly toddlers.

If you don't like Rocket, wait 5 minutes, because it will change...

Game Production (Former Employee)

I worked at Rocket Gaming Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- SOME good people work there

- Good cash bonus for referring new employees (because they are desperate to hire new people, because of the large amount of current employees who quit)

- New Vegas office has room for expansion (which they may or may not ever do)

- Some of the mid-level managers actually care about their people

Cons- Low pay

- Employee contribution to health insurance is too high

- The employee review system is intentionally set-up to limit good reviews (so raises are kept to an absolute minimum)

- They regularly choose to promote from outside the company rather than promoting from within, even when qualified candidates exist within the company

- Management changes the company structure on a regular basis

- Management changes the game production pipeline on a regular basis

- New Vegas office is crowded and loud

- Low pay causes a huge amount of turnover in employees

- The game themes are largely unoriginal and boring... And they keep making the same basic gameplay over and over. Zero innovation. Behind-the-times in a major way in this area.

- Lack of flexible work hours (unlike the other gaming companies in town)

- The software and hardware you work on is laughably bad. Also a distinct lack of available gaming test cabinets causes in-fighting over who is allowed to use them at any given time.

- Huge lavish parties for clients, while employee parties are potlucks held in the meeting room

Advice to Senior ManagementEven my children know that when you make a plan, you stick to it! You really need to stop changing the company goals/structure, and especially the game production pipeline every 4 months. Spending as much time learning new pipelines as you spend actually working on games is frustrating.

Please take a serious look at the equipment your people are using. The workstations are largely laughably bad (far below industry standards). Do you realize people fight over use of gaming cabinets because there are so few in the office??

You need to take a good long look at your game themes and gameplay coming out of Vegas. They are as stagnant and out-of-touch with current standards and trends as games could possibly be. Why are the games coming out of that office largely designed by one person?

I'm sure you know this, but just in case you don't: If you pay your people more, they will stop quitting in droves.

Best of luck to you!

Worst Job Ever

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Rocket Gaming Systems full-time for more than a year

Prosmanagement is incompetent, allows you time to do your own stuff.
very chill.
all the "worker bee's" are great people to be friends with.
somewhat creative environment
no overtime.
"beer fridays"
"cake and beer"

Consthey don't understand anything about product development.
managers are people who worked at casinos, not software develpment.
they "try" random process to "speed up development" against advice from people who actually know how things work.
shitty pay.
they hire people straight out of school and try to lowball you.

Advice to Senior Managementfire and hire within.

My experience at Rocket has been a great one because of the relaxed yet professional atmosphere and the genuine support.

I have been working at Rocket Gaming Systems

ProsThe executive team is constantly striving to improve Rocket Gaming Systems. They are a very hard working team and are supportive of the employees. This is a family oriented business. Even though we all work hard to accomplish our goals, the executive team stresses the importance of family and well-being.

ConsThere are times when we work long hours, but we are usually rewarded. Other than that working with Rocket is very satisfying.

A Decent Easy Going Company to Work For

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rocket Gaming Systems

ProsMost of the people you work with are well rounded well tempered people. Rocket tries to find people who will be considered "Part of the Family" and fit in well with everyone else. Rocket has several company hosted events for their employees to show appreciation. Rocket builds some fairly cool games that have made them who they are and has put them in a class all their own.

ConsThere are some issues with communications in management but what place doesn't have that issue. This issue is more of some things getting misconstrued but it is usually corrected fairly quick. There are a few aggravations in the department with minor rudeness but nothing really exaggerating. I will admit though that some aspects of the job can be a bit stressful but it is normally short lived when it is there.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery young company has a few drawbacks but Rocket's aren't all that bad. With a little time who knows where Rocket Gaming will go. Keep on track in the forward progress you are heading and as I have stated in 10 to 15 years, Rocket Gaming will be a completely different company.

Worked for Rocket Gaming Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rocket Gaming Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rocket Gaming Systems CEO Ronnie W. Harris . All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Rocket Gaming Systems employees.