Rocket Internet Reviews

140 reviews filtered by
3.5
Rocket Internet CEO Oliver Samwer
Oliver Samwer

Pros
  • Smart people, fast paced, a lot of responsibility and visibility (in 10 reviews)

• you are going to learn a lot, a lot of opportunity, very informal (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect long working hours and multi-tasking (in 7 reviews)

• High turnover rate, experience professionals are leaving or being fired (in 9 reviews)

1. Great company where to challenge yourself

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Rocket Internet as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

You have lots of responsability

Cons

You work a lot and sometimes with really small teams

2. Simple, easy interview

I have been working at Rocket Internet full-time

Pros

Very personal one-on-one skype interview
    Ask a lot of what if questions, whats the response if we do xyz

Cons

Not good at getting back to you

Fast&Furious...

Former Employee - Country Chief Executive Officer and Founder
    Former Employee - Country Chief Executive Officer and Founder

I worked at Rocket Internet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As Country-CEO for a Rocket Internet local portfolio company, I have had the best entrepreneurial training and experience of my life. The pace is super-fast, with incredibly long hours and a big load of pressure (a good pressure): I had to hire 20+ people in <1 month, build operations from scratch, and take on incredible responsibilities in very little time. The amount of trust Rocket Internet gives you is really empowering. It's probably one of the best "safe" arenas where you can have a true entrepreneurial training with limited risk (you have a competitive salary).
    Colleagues and management are smart and driven. Culture is a "no bollocks" one, which I appreciated, but may be intimidating to others.

Cons

The company can be brutal. If metrics don't live up to expectations, or fund raising (done centrally) does not go as expected, they are as quick at closing down operations as they are at spearheading them. Obviously, that's exactly what the start up risk is, but, given that your equity stake is nowhere near what you would have if you were a real founder, you end up sharing a lot of the downsides, but your upside is limited. Make sure you know what you sign up for, but overall I would do it again, if not for the incredible training received.

Keep doing what you are doing, but start doing some innovation also. Copying biz models worked out well until now, but US VCs are getting better at growing in international markets, so competition will heat up.

5. Well, its Rocket

Former Employee - Vice President Business Development
    Former Employee - Vice President Business Development

I worked at Rocket Internet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

tons of opportunity to advance, fast paced environment, get to work on the forefront of e-com (geographically)

Cons

male-dominated and ego-driven environment, unorganized management, experience is luck of the draw with your assignment

6. Great learning experience, tough skin required

Former Employee - Global Venture Development Manager
    Former Employee - Global Venture Development Manager

I worked at Rocket Internet full-time

Pros

A lot of independence is given to individuals
    For those coming from a consulting/investment banking background it is a great way to learn about how the 'real' world works and how to manage people

Cons

Relatively unstable
    Confusing organisational structure, unclear who manages what once outside the local opco

Retain employees better

Work hard with smart people, but beware of cutthroat lifestyle

I worked at Rocket Internet full-time

Pros

* Work with some of the smartest people out there. Rocket-Internet poaches some of the top talent from US and European Business Schools. Good place to learn from others.
    * Learn a lot on the job. It's start-up culture with a bit more stability.
    * Little bureaucracy. Every employee has a chance to work on whatever needs to be done. If you're passionate about some aspect of the work and see ways to improve it, you're encouraged to!

Cons

* Long work hours
    * Potential to be cut off at any time because of a failed venture

Wonderful colleagues but company is plagued with problems

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Rocket Internet as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very smart colleagues who are mostly former management consultants. The workplace is casual.

Cons

The HQ provides conflicting goals - metrics change all the time. This changing priority problem is probably due to investors' pressure. Work here will also consume you. No work/life balance to speak of, unless you want to be shown the door in three months. The company also fired a lot of employees as its preferred cost cutting measure. I interned there for three months and was asked to sign a full-time contract at the end of my internship, but I decided to leave because the work environment was too stressful and the company was too ruthless with its employees.

9. Rocket Internet Employee Review

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Rocket Internet as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-Geographically diverse staff
    -Autonomy
    -Open to ideas
    -Relaxed work environment

Cons

-No transparancy ('in club' vs. everyone else)
    -High Turn
    -Poor communication
    -Key business decisions are not thoroughly thought through

Communication, vision, team building and follow-through need to be the priority for this environment. They hire smart people who have diverse and established backgrounds that are usually under the age of 30. This can be good and bad. Although they hire interesting people, they don't look for leaders or team developers, often resulting in a small cohort of people who think they can make the best decisions. The same cohort makes decisions and does not place value in clearly communicating decisions with the team.

10. Great growth-potential and worldwide talented network

Former Employee - Product Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Rocket Internet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Rocket Internet can provide you with a professional network of talented people for life, if you take it all in.
    All companies are growing quickly (or failing fast), so there's a great opportunity to climb the ladder really quickly, it's all about taking initiative and working hard.

Cons

- Long working hours
    - Many people want to work in Rocket, so you can easily get replaced
    - Underpaid or at least extremely hard to negotiate up to market-salaries (you would be taking the job for the above mentioned pros)
    - If you're looking to sit in Aeron chairs and have a Macbook and Mac-screens provided in a funky 'wanna be Google-cool' office space with free lunches and espresso-bar, you will get very disappointed. There is close to zero employee-perks.

It is getting better than it was when I started, working-hour and 'perk'-wise. And I still have many friends working in Rocket, so I can hear it's getting increasingly better, also in terms of functioning like a concerned employer and not just a machine (which it sometimes could appear to be). It's good to hear. Keep on looking at what the rest of the world is doing, and you'll do great.

11. Cool Internship

I worked at Rocket Internet

Pros

Nice people, cool projects, free coffee and fruits, in the heart of Berlin. International atmosphere. Good for a start if you seek a startup career.

Cons

Communication between departments. Young company not so many structures. The office is not really nice. Not so many meeting rooms. More games etc. would have been cool.

More feedback to junior positions, for example what is good and what is not so good. More insights into the whole strategy of the company. More parties :). Else see above.