Rocket Lawyer

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Dan Nye

Challenging but rewarding.

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company has a good commission structure and very reasonable quota. I've never been in another sales team where so many of the people exceed quota. I really like the team and culture on the sales team, it's a huge part of what has kept me here. There are also opportunities to move into other upper positions at the company if you are a top performer.

ConsSelling to small business owners is rewarding, but also challenging at times. You have to be very consistent in your effort levels to be successful in the long run.

Decent place in 2013, Horrendous in 2014

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Great office location
    - Mid Level Management has great rapport with their teams
    - With the amount of effort it takes to be successful at Rocket Lawyer and the training you get, most people do extremely well when they leave the company

Cons-Zero transparency, its actually really pathetic how little they communicate or explain their decisions.
    -The executive team is completely tuned out when it comes to culture and having an actual pulse on how everyone is feeling at the company.
    -The founder and CEO will completely ignore you when you reach out to him or say hello to him just passing in the hall. This guy needs a huge reality check and it couldn't be more evident he isn't capable of leading a mid stage start-up.
    -MASSIVE turn over among sales, engineering, marketing.
    -They don't hire strong enough talent and the interview process is way to easy, a few of their hires were mind boggling.
    -The compensation was very below market value.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually deliver what you promise. No one wants to work at Rocket Lawyer in reality, some people have gotten content, its safe for them to stick around and it pays their bills. You have allowed essentially all of your top talent leave, how can you expect to turn things around with bottom of the barrel talent.

Disorganized and Unfocused Organization

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFairly flat organization
    Small teams with direct contact with Marketing, development and QA
    Strong efforts to be Agile
    Some good talent

ConsNo such thing as a Product Roadmap
    Upper management controls EVERYTHING, including constantly changing priorities
    No opportunities for autonomy or owning decisions
    Founder micro-manages all Product and product decisions
    Founder is unprofessional, in many ways, including how he communicates to his staff

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust that the smart people you hire are smart enough to do their jobs without being micro-managed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great engineering culture that promotes innovation!

Sr. Director of Engineering (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI was a Rocket Lawyer customer for a couple of years before I started working here. Knowing the quality of the product and how it had helped me in the past, I jumped at the opportunity to fill an engineering position. I was not disappointed. This company is truly innovative in the area of online legal services!

Here are some highlights:
       + The founder is passionate and highly involved in the product.
       + Leadership is quite mature and knows to do the right thing.
       + People who perform well are rewarded and promoted accordingly.
       + Engineers often have a choice which projects to work on.
       + Leadership encourages technology driven innovation.
       + Employees take ownership of improving the culture.

ConsGiven that it's not a large company, resources can sometimes be tight.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue hiring people who not only fit the technical requirements, but also exhibit passion for Rocket Lawyer's vision.

Rocket Lawyer: Nobel mission. Great people.

Administrative (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI have worked at Rocket Lawyer for quite a many years.

My journey to Rocket Lawyer was after a bitter relationship ended with an SF based Wedding Photography company that devalued their employee's, their skills and was very hostile. To say I had been burnt and was on the "rebound" was an understatement.

What started as "just a job" at company I knew very little about, quickly became a lot more. I understood they had a very interesting and noble company mission, but coming off the steaming "hot-mess" train that was my former company; I really just wanted to work at nice place. A friendly place.

Meeting with my to-be manager in the interview stage was pivotal in my decision to proceed with accepting the job. She was gracious, smart and had the right amount of humility. I felt really good about the company and what kind of mobility I might have in (at the time) a tiny start-up.

It became quite clear soon after I started working here that my first impressions were actually true of the company culture. The staff largely was "gracious, smart and had the right amount of humility."

I'm quite happy with the community here at Rocket Lawyer.

Cons- Benefits are always an area companies could improve. We are no exception. (Gym comp., better PTO policy, etc.)
    - Still a scrappy "Start-up" at heart. A tad more infrastructure could only streamline internal process(s).

Good people, but few opportunities

ProsI was really drawn to their product line. The people are great. They work are very motivated and work very hard.

ConsI interned there for almost a year and was not given a offer. I also noticed there were a lot of contract employees at the company many of them had to go through a very difficult and long process before they were brought to full time positions at the end. This makes employees feel undervalued and overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider bringing more qualified individuals on when they have demonstrated their ability. Otherwise, no one would want to stay.

Dedicated team members

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsManagement works hard to make employees feel valued. It seems like the company is growing and becoming more successful. Since it is a relatively new company, there was still reorganization taking place, which caused a feeling of instability. There was an open and enjoyable workplace atmosphere.

ConsPay was low, but as an intern this was to be expected. Large turn-over rate since most of the people I know from the company have since left.

Overbearing founder

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe team of people I worked with was great. Smart and a lot of fun to be around.

ConsFounder is an egomaniac with a 10 second attention span.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick one area and stick with it.

Was great when I started, now they're driving away good talent.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat location in San Francisco, snacks and drinks provided including an espresso machine and tea assortment. Decent salary. Decent hours without a huge amount of expected OT.

ConsIncreasingly political environment! Terrible benefits, upper management is disinclined to hear either complaints or good ideas. They have not offered positions to some highly qualified people because they said those people were too motivated and wouldn't be happy there.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop driving away talent and work on retaining the good people you have left.

Great Product, Great People, Great company!

Director of Sales (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros1. Well Funded & strong support from investors.

2. Experienced & respected leadership team. Founder, CEO, VP's all have a proven track record of success. This isn't a dorm room startup.

3. Product is something everyone needs.

4. Like any great startup you get to wear many hats, see how all departments operate and your ideas are always heard.

5. The company is made up of truly great people, which makes coming to work every day enjoyable.

6. Strong sales training program with continued education.

7. Salary is on par, if not higher than many SF Tech sales organizations. And commission structures are uncapped, meaning the higher you perform the more money you make. Can't ask for a better system when you are in sales.

8. Good benefits & team building activities like happy hours, team dinners and sporting events. Chairmans club trips for the top performers.

9. Great location, within steps of BART + tons of restaurants & bars.

10. You get to help individuals & businesses do great things every day.

ConsReally no cons to mention.
    Only risks I see for potential candidates, is if you are looking for an easy job where there are no expectations then this isn't the company for you. In any great company, individual & team results matter. If you want to be just a number, go find a big company to work for and no one will notice your successes or failures. If you want everyone up to the CEO to know your name and recognize your contribution then come to Rocket Lawyer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring and developing great talent.

Worked for Rocket Lawyer? Contribute to the Community!