Rocketship Education
www.rsed.org San Jose, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Rocketship Education Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
Rocketship Education – San Jose – “learning lab”

Not yet rated.

Preston Smith

Be ready to deal with constant change

I have been working at Rocketship Education full-time for less than a year

Pros-awesome kids
-mission driven company
-most of your coworkers are awesome, innovative people who genuinely want to create change in a community
-really excellent benefits packages, even for hourly employees

Cons-really high turnover in teachers since most are hired from Teach for America
-things are CONSTANTLY changing
-hourly employees are not well compensated for what they are expected to do
-many problems that occur are embedded in the model of Rocketship, and sometimes it feels like you're either with them, or not...trying to address critical problems to management is difficult because it is often taken as "Anti-Rocketship" culture

Advice to Senior Management-allow a safe space for employees to address their issues
-if possible, double the outdoor space of each site (or consider building on larger sites when opening new schools). this would seriously solve so many unnecessary issues.

Great learning experience but burnout quickly.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at Rocketship Education

ProsStaff itself is great! Intelligent and hardworking people

ConsUnrealistic expectations and demands.

Insulted that students from communities I identify with are stripped out of their identity and forced to conform.

I worked at Rocketship Education full-time

ProsNice budget for classroom supplies.

ConsLack of multicultural pedagogy.
Lack of creativity or free thinking.
History and science are excluded from the curriculum because it is not tested.
Parents do most of the housekeeping work to fulfill their "volunteer hours."
Inexperienced leadership team. (most have not taught for more than 2-3 years)
Lack of diversity within the staff.
Overworked teachers. (80-90) hour weeks.
They critique bilingual education, this is from a current employee in a leadership position- "Spanish will hinder their performance."
Dehumanizing to both teachers and students- only one way of doing things.
Retention rate looks okay because Teach for America employees have a 2 year contract, therefore it's harder for them to quit, but most leave after 2 years.
Parents don't like a number of things, but seems to be a better option than the school next door.
Unhealthy working conditions.- you are expected to work through lunch before and after school.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't dismantle the masters house using the
masters tools. Read pedagogy of the oppressed. Listen to parents, take care of your teachers. Yes, you are saving money in ways, but throwing a lot of talent in the garbage and most schools lose a lot more from having a low teacher retention rate.

Very busy work that will keep you on your feet

Individualized Learning Specialist (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Rocketship Education full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat vision that this non-profit organization has in ending the achievement gap and consistently involving parents.

ConsVery stressful job that consists of managing childrens' behavior, making sure that the Learning Lab is consistently up-to-date and clean (you deal with the whole school and many kids will do things that are unsanitizing), constant multitasking in making sure the kids are cooperative and quiet, and making sure the kids are doing their computer programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease acknowledge that the ILS can only do so much in making sure the kids are on task with their programs and that we are doing our best to manage their behavior. Sometimes it gets hard and having us doing lesson plans during our scheduled work time is very difficult as so many things can get out of hand in the learning lab.

Also, please do not say that the Learning Lab ALWAYS needs improvement but is still a wonderful and important place. We are doing our best to make it important and pristine for all the parents to see.

Great mission, some very committed employees. High turnover

I worked at Rocketship Education

ProsSome very talented people. Great opportunity to learn from them.

ConsLimited resource in the national office.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the new hires are equally committed to the goal

Rollercoaster Ride

Individualised Learning Specialist (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Rocketship Education full-time for more than a year

ProsPassion for improvement and quality, dedicated staff, resilient children. Benefits. Experience and training.

ConsClaustrophobic computer lab space - you will catch germs since you see the whole population of the school rotates through the lab (every 50 minutes). Stressful demands: high expectations of ILS for multitasking while maintaining discipline at the same level as established teachers - which means superficial monitoring detracts from small tutoring time. If your not from the Teach For America culture, you might not have the necessary smile-and-bear-it startup mentality they seek. Even the students are worked so hard that they don't have time to have fun and be kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe high turnover rate of staff at all levels unsettling. ILSs are at the receiving end of upholding the school culture. The mixed-message received was "the lab is not good enough but this place is AMAZING and IMPORTANT."

If you're looking for work-life balance, this is not the place for you.

I worked at Rocketship Education

ProsThe kids and parents were delightful! Everyone was very hard working and cared about the kids. The teachers, for the most part, were also good.

ConsNo room for creativity - you must operate within the box. Leadership staff need more training. Differentiated instruction, especially for ELL and special needs children, needs to happen much more effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should talk to your teachers and parents more often. There are many concerns that are not being addressed.

Easy street once you get past officer level.

Operations Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rocketship Education

ProsEasy street once you get past officer level. Some nice flexible work arrangementst if your job qualifies.

ConsPay for senior associate and junior associate is practically the same and starting salaries have been going down for the last few years. It is an employers market but it has been frustrating to many and upper level belt tightening has not been as evident.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the global inclusion BS. This is doublespeak for communism. Focus on the core business and improving products and services to blow the competition out of the water.

Worked for Rocketship Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rocketship Education reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rocketship Education CEO Preston Smith. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Rocketship Education employees.