Rockford College

Rockford College Reviews

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014

CEO

A good place to work next time

I have been working at Rockford College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tuition remission
    3 weeks of vacation
    A lot of holidays off
    Things are getting better (slowly)
    Depending on what office you're in the office culture is good

Cons

Tight budgets
    Raises are rare
    Understaffed
    Very silo-ed structure
    Don't always know what other areas are doing
    A lot of focus on quantity of students, not the quality of students
    Wages are low

Good People, Needs Better Vision.

I worked at Rockford College

Pros

There are a lot of good people working at the College that truly care about their institution and what is going on.

Cons

Salary is below market value, Leadership changes need to happen, A clearer & realistic visit of RU is needed.

Re-evaluate pay structure and recognize who/what the institution really is.

Not the place for forward thinking individuals

I have been working at Rockford College full-time

Pros

They have a great tuition remission program that allows full time employees to take classes for free or at a discounted rate if you are part time.

There are a lot of very dedicated individuals who work here and love this school and city.

Cons

The environment is very defensive to change or suggestions from those who have not been here for an exceedingly long time.

Office politics run deep and is not likely to change any time soon.

Taking advantage of the free tuition is largely dependent on your supervisor being flexible enough to allow you to take the classes since most classes are during normal working hours.

The mentality of much of the middle management and perhaps even upper management is flawed and rigid to views outside of their own. There is an attitude of classicism that I believe is actually at the core of their actions and the culture that they promote. I have been met with much resistance to the methods of improving the nature of my role and that of the people I have direct professional contact with. My efforts have not been viewed as being proactive in my role, something I am used to being praised for in other positions I have held, but rather "overstepping by bounds" which is frankly insulting. If you have a desire to genuinely improve the quality and caliber of this institution than you need to empower your employees to make decisions and effect change at the level that they are affected by and responsible for. As it stands employees are viewed as children who need permission rather than the professional adults that they are. If you want cowering children then hire them and stop wasting the time of proactive-minded people under the guise that this institution wants to change. I have been a working professional for over a decade and have held various positions throughout that time and this has been the worst working experience that I have had the displeasure of experiencing for these reasons.

Rockford College will be a fun place to work, in 5 years, it is still on the way back up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Rockford College

Pros

The flexible hours and quality of life that working on a College campus provides is evident at Rockford College. In lieu of providing additional compensation efforts are made in other ways to show appreciation and worth to the organization.

Cons

The level of politics on a college campus is immense. Decisions that should be made simply by discussing them openly can be hampered with the desire not to offend anyone. Management is disabled by a few key individuals that poison the atmosphere for progress.

Get rid of the bad apples and this place will continue to flourish. If the College waits for that to occur by attrition, we will die on the vine.

Slow to innovate and let employees try out and experiment with new ideas

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I worked at Rockford College

Pros

many great employees
    collegiate atmosphere
    many supervisors are caring and try to help employees in need
    tuition reimbursement and other benefits

Cons

the college is slow to innovate
    most departments allow little to no room for employees to try out new ideas
    little decision-making autonomy
    pay is pretty low compared to similar institutions, little opportunity for pay raises and promotions

create a more entrepreneurial culture
    allow employees to implement new ideas if they can find the means and resources themselves

Information Technology Specialist

I have been working at Rockford College

Pros

Not only is it a great place to work but free tuition is also included for full time employees to further their education while working and this includes flexible scheduling, and great benefits.

Cons

I have not had many cons other than you sometimes get some pretty rude encounters with people that you are only trying to help. That is a small issue to deal with though, because it is not every day that this occurs.