Rockford School District 205

Updated August 23, 2014
2.9

Chris Saletta

Busy, busy, busy

I have been working at Rockford School District 205 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, benefits, and never a dull moment. There are a lot of grew things being done to help educate and prepare the students for the future.

Cons

Always busy, maybe a little to busy. You are so busy putting out fires and being reactive instead of proactive.

More office staff with better training

Treated badly

Current Employee - Para in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Para in Rockford, IL

Pros

Working with the children and the benefits. I Have always loved working with the kids, they have brought me such joy over the years

Cons

I always loved working for the dist but they do not treat you very well, You can never count on whether you have a job or not.

It would be nice if they would learn how to treat the paras and they would learn that we matter too.

Special Education Teacher

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Rockford School District 205 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The students and seeing that they understand the concept.

Cons

Some students are disrespectful and don't want to learn at times.

Listen to your staff and really understand what they are saying and wanting.

The Rockford School District is a nice place to work and has great people to work for and with!

Former Employee - Teacher in Rockford, IL

I worked at Rockford School District 205 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great kids and great people!

Cons

I felt there were too many assessments for preschool children and expectations were too high!

Talk with the teachers about assessments and testing; the kids are getting burnt out too early!

I am a Special Education Teacher

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Rockford School District 205 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When working with the students, it is such a joy to see that they are participating in the discussion and they are understanding the lesson.

Cons

There is no support from the administration team.

Treat your employers as you would want to be treated. Employers will work harder when they know they are respected.

????

Former Employee - Teacher in Rockford, IL

I worked at Rockford School District 205 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

children keep the job fun

Cons

adults ruin the job possibilities

be fair and consistent

Good for parents with little ones in school

Former Employee - Food Service in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Food Service in Rockford, IL

I worked at Rockford School District 205

Pros

-Couple hours a day during school hours! Great when you have children in school!
    -Pretty easy to get time off when needed

Cons

-Not much room for advancement
    -Pay is just minium wage
    -Work with some pretty gross food (makes you want to make lunch for your children at home!)

I don't really have any advice. School lunches are pretty gross when I worked there. The district seems to be doing better at making better lunches, but it's a work in progress. Takes lots of money to serve better food! AND the lunch prices for students are horrid expensive in my opinion!

It has been a good experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Rockford School District 205

Pros

A good work environment with good benefits.

Cons

Upper level Adminstrative changes sometimes put people in positions they should not be in. Lack of experience in upper level positions.

Communicate, communicate, communicate.

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Current Employee - Teacher/Coach in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher/Coach in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Rockford School District 205

Pros

The good - the kids are the best reason to work there. While there are exceptions most times they make it fun. They keep you young and make you feel old. While almost all full-time teaching positions are filled in Rockford that's probably more of a reflection on the job situation than quality of work environment. Salary and benefits package is good for seasoned teachers and just adequate for new teachers. Co-curriculum stipends are dismal, but getting better.

Cons

The bad - this country talks a lot of smack about democracy but the reality is we really have utterly no respect for citizen competence in the workplace. Management and administrative models taught in our colleges and the me-first and only product turned out speak volumes. Management thinks workers are expenses at best, enemies at worst. Upper level management won't listen to mid-level management. Like almost all other workplaces upper level management style in District 205 is strictly top-down and totally numbers driven.

The ugly - the district's leadership runs the spectrum from a retired colonel whose most notable trait was extreme arrogance and a pronounced Napoleonic complex to vapid enablers. Grudging lip-service is paid to teacher opinion and there's not much of that. School administrators are micromanaged and routinely pulled out of their schools for "meetings" by upper level administrators. We haven't had a workable discipline policy for years. Students openly ridicule our tardy and attendance policy. We have a policy of "no coats in class" but can't define a coat. We've had an interim superintendent for over a year and her approach to the job has been essentially a campaign to make the arrangement permanent.

Resign now.

Major restructure changes at the district causing lack of job security.

I worked at Rockford School District 205

Pros

The benefits are excellent. The reitirement plan is great. The 4 weeks vacation per year given to new employees. 18 sick days per year is a nice touch.

Cons

Lack of job security. Major restructure is causing job eliminations and 22% cuts in salary for many of those that survive the job cuts. Performance evaluations are not used in determining job cuts.

Stop the process of making changes just for the sake of making changes. All changes should have a justification. Try creating loyalty from employees instead of ruling through fear.