Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

1. front office

Current Employee - Front Desk in Highland, NY
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Highland, NY

I have been working at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

Pros

manager and GM made it very clear from the beginning what the expectations of the job are. decent pay with OT!

Cons

yes Steve Turk can def be intense at times, but he is an owner who cares and doesn't run and hide every time there is a problem that needs attention (like my previous employer at my last job)
    sometimes there's long hours but OT worth it, and this was discussed at interview.

Advice to Management

look into new uniforms for summer season

2. My Work Experience

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Highland, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Highland, NY

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

Pros

Hospitality is not the industry for everyone - you need to commit to your career and the people you serve in order to succeed and be the best, and I don't think everyone that comes to work here truly understands that. For me, it was beyond rewarding for guests to pass my name to management in regards to top service received. I worked at the ranch throughout high school and into college while on break, and was able to advance from babysitting and lifeguarding to being a part of the marketing team. It's evident how passionate Steve is about his business, and he inspires and motivates his team to feel the same way. This isn't a Holiday Inn or a fast food joint; it's a family-owned and run business that has been around for over the past 50 years. If you make sure to enter your work with that mindset, your hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Hospitality means being available to guests when and how they need, and sometimes work life balance can suffer. I think that in being aware of this and knowing when you need a break, you can do well here.

Advice to Management

Steve is a hard worker, and very fair. There's not one task he wouldn't do that he asks of his employees, whether its picking up straw wrappers in the dirt or putting on a character costume and walking through the dining room. While yes, Steve can be tough at times, it is reflective of his passion for the business and Rocking Horse's outstanding reputation. There's a reason that Rocking Horse, a small family-owned resort, competes with Disney World, and that it's been rated second only to Cape Cod as the best family destination for NYC families. I'm beyond proud to have worked here. Keep up the good work.

3. Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Highland, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Highland, NY

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

Pros

· Great benefits
    · Fellow staff feels more like family
    · Fun, fast-paced environment
    · Opportunities for advancement

Cons

There weren't any - the only reason I left was so that I could move closer to family.

5. hard work and good pay

Former Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Director in Highland, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Director in Highland, NY

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

Pros

Great pay, medical, dental, 401k, meals are included, free passes to splash down, every employee gets a year end bonus

Cons

You do put in long hours and have to work some holidays.

Advice to Management

I had a great work experience. The bottom line is if you work hard you will get promoted and paid well. Your hard work will get recognized and rewarded with bonuses. This job is challenging because it is so busy but rewarding because your meet really nice families and work with talented hard working professionals.

6. Don't do it!

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free meals, health benefits... That's all this place has to offer

Cons

Where to begin? Long hours, refused to give breaks when we were in "turnover", rude management that never encouraged us to strive for excellence, owner who was happy one minute and then flew off the handle, eating in a linen room and unfair practices.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep employees you need to treat them a certain way. Follow by example and then maybe people will want to stay at their job. Don't get annoyed if we need to take a day off and then when you take off it's all good. Word to Steve Jerk keep an eye out for your management team because this is why you are losing valuable employees.

7. Owners kind of rude and wounded tight, but employees there are awesome. Worked there as a server for a year.

Former Employee - Server in Highland, NY
    Former Employee - Server in Highland, NY

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every meal you work, you get for free ( at least in the servers, idk about everywhere else), the co-workers and managers are really nice and really do want to help their employees

Cons

The pay isn't that great, customers usually do not tip since the food is included, and they often schedule you split shifts so it makes it hard to do anything else that day except work.

Advice to Management

Consider a pay raise for your employees and stop scheduling split shifts!

8. Depressing

I have been working at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

Pros

Pay isn't awful, some folks are nicer than others

Cons

Hours are awful 10-12 hour shifts without breaks, made to eat in a linen closet when you do get breaks, its dirty and there are chemicals. Some employees have terrible attitudes and no one does anything about it when something happens they tell you to let it go. No discipline. You're treated very second class even when you have first class hospitality for the guests its never good enough. There's so much more..

Advice to Management

Management should really listed. to their employees as well as take in to consideration the fact we too have families and can't dedicate our entire lives to a place where we make just above minimum wage. Don't treat people like they don't matter because then to them their job won't matter. Happy employees make for a happy healthy and profitable business....use common sense and gain some people skills, stop hiding in your office constantly and barking out orders...she. something is wrong FIX it...don't make people feel guilty for life getting in the way of your millions...be compassionate and you will gain loyalty rather than turn over!

9. Food and Bev

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort part-time

Pros

Many of the other employees are great, people are generally nice. The work is pretty basic and not overly difficult if you put some effort in

Cons

The hours can vary due to it being a shift schedule position. Call also be very stressful at times when it gets busy and guests are unpleasant. Not many chances for a raise

Advice to Management

Few promotions or recognition if you go above and beyond for guests by the upper management. There is also the unpredictable nature of the owner, he can go from happy and helpful, to extremely intense in minutes

If you don't have to, don't!

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff (non management) are some of the most kind hearted genuine people who really do care about the success and pleasure of guests

Cons

Executive management and owner steve Turk are absolutely terrible to work for. Steve is a bi-polar head case one moment he is a pleasure and the next he is screaming in your face for a reason set up by himself. He will tell you a specific way to do something and the next day you get in trouble for doing it the way he told you. Great business and successful only because of the staff that cares not the management.

Advice to Management

Let managers manage. You try to dictate everything and that is why your turnover is so high.

Fired For No Reason

Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent

I worked at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Meals
    Clean Environment
    Benefits Offered (medical, dental)
    Some Flexibility in Work Schedules
    Staff Can Be Pleasant To Work With

Cons

From the moment you work here, you'll realize quickly that there is a super high turnover rate. Most of the staff is hired temporary for the seasonal summer. Sept-Oct is very slow (senior guests) as is Jan-Mar (Girl Scouts, family groups). No one is valued or appreciated for their work, and as an employee you feel disposable. It is a super busy place during the peak summer months. During this time, the office is extremely crazy, people in and out and the phones ringing off the hook.

Steve Turk, the owner, is on property almost every day; unless he is on vacation or pursuing other business ventures. This is good, because he genuinely wants to be part of his business. However, he strives too hard to be 'perfect'. He is always highly stressed, and it shows sometimes in his decisions and his actions. He does nothing to take a deep breath and mentor his staff and make new employees feel welcome and appreciated. This is very important! Instead, he will go to his operations manager to fix issues, and then they are responsible to handle it and that decision may not always be the best one, or something is lost in the translation.

In the end, I was fired for no reason. They wouldn't consider a demotion, a decrease in pay, or even working in a different department. I exceeded sales goals in reservations and came up with new ideas!

Advice to Management

Overall this can be an excellent place to work, if only you take a step back and size up each situation and look at the big picture. Surely staff will come and go, but consider retaining your employees who have exceeded performance standards. Keep them! Mentor each one and tell them face-to-face how much you appreciate them working for you. Stop nitpicking; train, coach, develop, and mold each employee how you need them to be. Value, respect, and show them you care about their success for the betterment of your business.

RSS Feed </> Embed