Rockport Reviews

1 Rating

1. Great Ideas but Poor Execution

Former Employee - Retail Trainer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Retail Trainer in Boston, MA

I worked at Rockport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great company to work for because the people were wonderful and attentive to you as a person.

Cons

Too many changes within the work environment to truly see where one idea could go before moving in an entirely different direction. They also undercut their own business by providing superior product to vendors over it's own corporate run stores.

Upper management needs to understand what it is like to run a retail store actually not just theoretically.

2. It was a decent experience.

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rockport as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People are very nice and caring.

Cons

Small company, not enough incentives for workers.

Create better internal structure.

3. Very Boring Internship

I worked at Rockport

Pros

It's the same building as adidas / reebok, so you can build relationships

Cons

It's a very mundane internship. They make it sound worth while to start, but you don't get paid and you just run copies.

5. Fun experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rockport

Pros

The discount was great. There was a lot of freedom for creativity with the visual displays with shoes and windows.

Cons

Most of the management team was unprofessional of incompetent. The general manager was the only one who seemed to have it together, but it wasn't consistent with the team.

There should be a greater evaluation of individuals applying for management positions. Most were irresponsible and didn't do their job, creating their associates to pick up most of the slack.

6. Management Played Favorites

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birch Run, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birch Run, MI

I worked at Rockport

Pros

-I was able to work independently without excessive management oversight.
    -Worked with friendly customers who loved talking
    -Gained skills in customer service, cash transactions, ect.

Cons

-I was hired at 16 and the company never requested a work permit
    -To be honest, another 16 year old girl and I were the hardest workers. We had the lowest pay (min. wage), had to do grunt work like scrubbing the bathroom and had to follow policy to the tee. Other employees could stay punched in during their lunches, could wander over to Reebok (connected to Rockport) leaving Rockport unattended and frequently left ALL of the work for me and the other girl.
    -Management did not follow protocol. I was often left in charge of watching both stores and cashing out my drawer.
    -Favoritism to the extreme! If you refused to go out with the management on cigarette breaks, they will treat you poorly and put your fellow employees on a pedestal.
    -Little to no training.

My advice would be to BE a manager; don't try to favor employees that you are friends with who don't do anything.

A great company with a visionary product but lack of leadership to take it to the next level.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Rockport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Honest company, provides it's employees with great benefits and livable wages, under the Adidas umbrella it should skyrocket.

Cons

Senior management (US--not German) is pretty clueless. They have a vision, but no implementation. They have shrunk rather than grown, and it does not seem to get any brighter in outlook.

You have to grow your markets. You have a world class product at a fantastic price point, but your lack of presence west of the Mississippi is appalling. Not every store will be a superstar , but every store increases exposure to your product.