Rockstar San Diego

Updated Nov 3, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Terry Donovan

Best Game, but laid you off once they are done

Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at Rockstar San Diego

ProsThe chance to work on the biggest and possible game of the year. the location is in San Diego so you get all the weather and all that.

ConsLong working hours 1 year plus in order to ship the game. And they might just laid you off once the game is shipped even though they promised no one gets laid off....

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly if they could actually keep the hard working people around and manage the resource better, I think the company might just be the best one ever!

Worst studio ever.

Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Rockstar San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's in Carlsbad so the weather is amazing and if you like the beach, it's minutes away. The building is nice.

ConsMassive OT, zero work life balance, unreasonable demands on employees, and horrible upper management that will fire you with no warning. Basically, if there's any indication that you aren't a yes man, they'll get rid of you.

I've been in the industry for over 10 years and I can safely say that this studio is by far and away, the worst one I've ever had the misfortune of working at. Upper management treats everyone like cattle and there's no concern over the well being or happiness of the employees. Unfortunately, there's not much else in this area so you're trapped unless you're willing to move.

I had high hopes when I first started. All that is now gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease learn to accept criticism and treat your employees with respect. Don't work with the assumption that the New York headquarters will fire everyone just because you stand up for the team. Grow a backbone, and say "no" once in awhile.

Run away when you have a chance and save yourself.

Senior Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at Rockstar San Diego full-time for more than a year

ProsLocation- near beach- it was the best thing that i can remember.
AAA game title
there is decent compensation when game ships.
small but on-site company gym
paid OT( differs with people some people gets share of profit of the game later)
top tier of company managements seems decent and not a conceited people.

ConsFrom day one you will hear people questioning why you come here and how much OT they have done for past a few years and stories about how people got treated and got laid off after that crunch also about all the politics going on inside the studio. -Never seen that much hatred toward to middle, upper managements in other working environments.-
I wished that I ran off when I heard that early on.
At the end you will only realized that it is all very true, can be even worse than you can imagine.

People lose their health, lose their hair, get fat and depressed.
Even HR admit that they have bad reputation and difficult time hiring people.
There is no appreciation about hard work and any decent respect or positive encouragement to employees.

No work ethic to be found between colleges, very low morals, there are some really nice people there but the managements manipulate employees to go against each other and managements doesn’t care about employee’s well-being.

There is no sound direction, endless changes and endless crunches.The directions comes from everywhere and there is no way to filter it.

Another downside is there is no way you can get your work unless you capture from game when it's released.
There is no ownership. Same work will be cycled over a group of people so people learn to trash other’s work to make themselves shine. It is encouraged and it uses as the way to get advanced.

Probably highest security ever seen. Can’t send any personal e.mail or communication to outside (strictly prohibited)

HR exists not to protect employees but to protect who has power.

Please save yourself and run away. You will have NO life.
Even 10+ years veteran will tell you that it is the worst crunch they have ever experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementPipeline and management need major re-construction, it will save time, money and talents. The production pipeline is a gigantic sinkhole for time wasting. Please find a way to manage to be more productive and efficient so crunch doesn’t become a life style. -Someone needs to say no to certain things.- If making your employees happy is in your agenda of business by any chance, find a way to boost team moral and sound, professional work ethic and environment and please pick a leader who cares about team, not the person who is power hungered/ego-driven and use their team to make themself to anchor to the higher position.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Welcome to Hell!!

Senior Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at Rockstar San Diego full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAdd some big hits to your resume, if they decide to leave your name in the credits.

ConsHorrible bully management. Sweatshop work conditions. Endless overtime. Unkept promises. Low pay for the stature of the studio. Menial tasks that feel more like busy work than actual sense of accomplishment.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. Your ruining what was once a sacred name in the industry. The studio shouldn't be run like a college fraternity. Hire people who know what they are doing, not your friends. Stop paying yrself an enormous salary(buying 5k sq ft homes) and pay the employees who actually do all the work for you. You can only stand on the shoulders of talented artists for only so long until they all leave.

Worst Place to Work in all of gaming

Senior Artist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockstar San Diego full-time for more than a year

ProsNothing good to say about this place

ConsThis place is a Sweat Shot

great games. great coworkers, terrible management

Senior Programmer (Former Employee)
Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Rockstar San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork with some of the best people, on some of the best games, at a great location

ConsManagers thrive on wasting your time

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize, prioritize, realize that you can't have everything be an emergency

Poor management

I have been working at Rockstar San Diego

ProsWork on AAA Titles
Competitive compensation

ConsExtreme crunch time
Poor management who bully employees
Poor communication on direction of projects and company

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to run a business efficiently and value your talent

Worked for Rockstar San Diego? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockstar San Diego reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rockstar San Diego CEO Terry Donovan. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Rockstar San Diego employees.