Rockwell Automation

Rockwell Automation Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Rockwell Automation Chairman, President, and CEO Keith D. Nosbusch

Keith D. Nosbusch

Pros
  • The culture, people and work life balance is something that excites me to come into work everyday(in 30 reviews)

• The work environment was very driven by ITIL documentation(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be out of whack - hours can be demanding(in 12 reviews)

• Senior management seems to be intentionally ignorant of the situation(in 7 reviews)

Great First Work Place

Hardware Development Engineer (Former Employee) Mequon, WI

ProsHealthy Competition within the team
    Experienced people who encourage younger new employees to learn and move ahead.

ConsNeeds higher ratio of younger crowd to bring in new ideas and update the system.
    Can do better with allowing innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the Engineers for realistic schedules. Take the risk for newer ideas.

Rockwell ... a good place to work?

Product Manager (Current Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsIn general, the pay scales are good. The technology and diversity of what you do can keep you challenged and motivated. There are opportunities to travel or to re-locate in a wide variety of global locations. They are also fairly flexible with work schedule. Though not as cool as an apple or a google, Automation still has a pretty high coolness factor. We control almost everything from linear accelerators to automotive assembly and hog processing.

ConsUpper management has a great tendency to steer off from the focused path of specific products or direction which can be frustrating. Too many managers driving product lines. They do not typically promote in group or team .. which means you need to change job functions and often locations for real promotions. If you want to manage your group .. you have to leave it and come back 3 years later. They put a huge emphasis on sales experience for higher management jobs where sales people tend to get overwhelmed by the technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly. I understand the motivation to diversify employees and cross train in multiple disciplines. But if an employee excels at his job and is really good at it, moving him up in the same organization should be possible. The common experience I believe is you need to leave your job that you have become exceptionally skilled at to get promoted. This is not an isolated incident or a single employee gripe.

Also, people with experience are often not consulted on big picture decisions. Nothing is more frustrating than to see my product line decisions being made above me without at least consultation. After all, the people in the trenches are the ones feeling the pain and understand why some of the subtle decisions are being made.

Flexible

Marketing Communications (Current Employee)

ProsWork for a small offsite division. Verify flexible for working parents with schedules. Very close office and personable.

ConsDue to being in a smaller division, there isn't any room to move into upper management or opportunities to improve ones career. Unless you move to Milwaukee. Salary compensation does not equal to job duties. Very hard to get a substantial raise.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Data Analyst

ProsFlexible hours and mostly good management.

ConsThere are not many jobs available to advance.

Good people, good engineering, lousy benefits

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mayfield Heights, OH

ProsRockwell offers a good work/life balance & flexible hours. My coworkers are helpful and a pleasure to work with. Projects are interesting engineering challenges and Rockwell has the culture of an engineering firm. Management is decent and has a (reasonable) understanding of engineering.

ConsHR has been clawing back benefits every chance they can get. The last decent health insurance option was killed in 2014. Dental insurance is being cut back. Vision insurance doesn't exist. The pension was killed several years back for new employees.
    Rockwell says it pays for performance, but salary increases now barely keep up with inflation even if you're a "top performer". It seems that Rockwell is trying to drive away its greatest talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementI used to highly recommend Rockwell to anyone who would listen. No more. Management needs to stop thinking of employees as an expense to be reluctantly borne and start thinking of them again as Rockwell's greatest asset.

A True Culture of Inclusion

ProsI have worked for Rockwell Automation for more than 15 years. Throughout my employment I have been afforded opportunities at every turn to advance my career and make choices based on my interests, skills and work/life balance. I believe strongly in the solid leadership of this company and the decisions they make for our business. Communication, transparency (relative to strategy) and ethics are huge at Rockwell - all things that make you feel confident you are working for the right kind of company.

ConsRelocation (often international) becomes increasingly important if you want to advance to the senior leadership team.

stable company

Manufacturing Test Engineer (Current Employee) Chelmsford, MA

Prosstable, job security, very nice smart people to work with, flexible, tuition reimbursement plan, ability to work from home, pleasant work environment

Consyearly salary increases are tiny, less than inflation rate;

Great place to work one job or grow a full career within the company.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsMany opportunities for International exposure depending on your position, cool products that are cutting edge in the industry, many leadership opportunities if you can figure out what your department and boss really needs.

ConsFurther self development and training opportunities could be expanded and promoted further. Office culture pros/cons really comes down to the department you are in, I have seen good and bad cultures.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep continuously providing different avenues of training and self development for employees.

Generally good, people are professional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood working relationship with peers

ConsOverwhelming layers of management, changing direction

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the Talk

Always be part of the solutions, customerss are waiting for the answers.

Senior Buyer (Current Employee)

ProsA company with greats ethis values.

ConsNo one is perfect, but woking on the continuos improvement process.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working hard, to achive the goals!!!

Worked for Rockwell Automation? Contribute to the Community!