Rockwell Automation

Updated May 20, 2014
3.7

Rockwell Automation Chairman, President, and CEO Keith D. Nosbusch
Keith D. Nosbusch

Pros
  • The culture, people and work life balance is something that excites me to come into work everyday (in 30 reviews)

• The work environment was very driven by ITIL documentation (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be out of whack - hours can be demanding (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management seems to be intentionally ignorant of the situation (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Rockwell ... a good place to work?

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In general, the pay scales are good. The technology and diversity of what you do can keep you challenged and motivated. There are opportunities to travel or to re-locate in a wide variety of global locations. They are also fairly flexible with work schedule. Though not as cool as an apple or a google, Automation still has a pretty high coolness factor. We control almost everything from linear accelerators to automotive assembly and hog processing.

Cons

Upper management has a great tendency to steer off from the focused path of specific products or direction which can be frustrating. Too many managers driving product lines. They do not typically promote in group or team .. which means you need to change job functions and often locations for real promotions. If you want to manage your group .. you have to leave it and come back 3 years later. They put a huge emphasis on sales experience for higher management jobs where sales people tend to get overwhelmed by the technology.

Honestly. I understand the motivation to diversify employees and cross train in multiple disciplines. But if an employee excels at his job and is really good at it, moving him up in the same organization should be possible. The common experience I believe is you need to leave your job that you have become exceptionally skilled at to get promoted. This is not an isolated incident or a single employee gripe.

Also, people with experience are often not consulted on big picture decisions. Nothing is more frustrating than to see my product line decisions being made above me without at least consultation. After all, the people in the trenches are the ones feeling the pain and understand why some of the subtle decisions are being made.

Great place to work if you're not a contractor

Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineering Co-op  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineering Co-op in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Rockwell Automation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Really great forward thinking atmosphere. Often performs community outreach, charity events, and continuing education presentations to break up the work day. At the same time challenges employees to perform at a high level.

Cons

As a Co-op there, I received lots of help to learn the Rockwell Automation development process. Full time hires receive similar treatment. Contractors on the other hand, seemed to get much less help learning the development process and were expected to just slowly figure it out.

Solid company with many opportunities for advancement.

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was provided with everything needed to complete my job. There is lots of room in the company to move around and change your career path as desired.

Cons

Coming out of college, I had to accept the job without knowing where I would be located after training.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

7 month co-op, would go back in a heartbeat.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Rockwell Automation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Hands on coding opportunities. Completed ~3 major projects during my 7 month co-op. Learned new programming languages. Had a senior software engineer as a mentor. Many other co-ops to interact with both at work professionally and through extracurricular activities socially. Received a housing stipend. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. I always was treated as a regular employee and not just as some co-op. Awesome company.

Cons

Some things such as coordination between HR and financial department were confusing and non uniform.

Provide co-ops with subsidized housing.

Lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get to work for a leader in automation

Cons

Never a dull moment, always having to keep up

They are doing a great job

A good company with professional, flexible work environment.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Good work/life balance
    Commitment to Quality
    Fair Performance Evaluation Process
    Great Facilities
    Good Cross-Functional Interaction
    Opportunities for travel
    Opportunities for career growth
    Support for local communities

Cons

Weak benefits
    Lack of diveristy (age, gender, race)
    Rockwell Automation is a very good company to work for

Contractor

Former Employee - Controls Engineer  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Rockwell Automation as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great way to learn more how Rockwell Automation products are created.

Cons

As a contractor it is not a good place to work since we are only treated as an item, not a person who is eager to help the company. No interaction with the manager and feel like you don't belong.

Treat contractors as being part of a team not just a thing. Acknowledge that they exist.

Demonstration of DO NOT CARE attitude

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Rockwell Automation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Big company with potential to develop the software solutions based on the accumulated experience in industrial control. Huge depository of the legacy code.
    The position is good for the full time if you already work for several years.

Cons

Unclear software design.
    "You do NOT want to know it" attitude.
    Huge corporate culture :(

Asses the existed code and values.
    Create clear software design.

A great atmosphere to learn and excel in your field.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Rockwell Automation as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed, but professional environment involved in the exciting world of automation. A long history makes this company stable and full of experts, while it embraces innovation and opportunities to move forward.

Cons

Due to size of the company, several employee work needs were not met in a convenient amount of time, especially when first hired, but overall, I think the benefits of the company outweigh this understandable con.

An experience

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Rockwell Automation full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are friendly. Decent cafeteria

Cons

Some supervisor are very not knowledgeable of their task at hand. Positions available depending on who you are and who you know, not on what you know. I guess supervisor learn on the job. A little bullying in the department. Poor tools on hand to do a decent job. No upper support vs customer issues. It was time to go.

Get informed qualified people in key positions not the son of an ex boss who may not be qualified.

Worked for Rockwell Automation? Contribute to the Community!