Rockwell Automation

Rockwell Automation Reviews in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Updated May 20, 2014

Rockwell Automation Chairman, President, and CEO Keith D. Nosbusch

Keith D. Nosbusch

Pros
  • The culture, people and work life balance is something that excites me to come into work everyday (in 30 reviews)

• The work environment was very driven by ITIL documentation (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be out of whack - hours can be demanding (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management seems to be intentionally ignorant of the situation (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights
20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Rockwell ... a good place to work?

Product Manager (Current Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsIn general, the pay scales are good. The technology and diversity of what you do can keep you challenged and motivated. There are opportunities to travel or to re-locate in a wide variety of global locations. They are also fairly flexible with work schedule. Though not as cool as an apple or a google, Automation still has a pretty high coolness factor. We control almost everything from linear accelerators to automotive assembly and hog processing.

ConsUpper management has a great tendency to steer off from the focused path of specific products or direction which can be frustrating. Too many managers driving product lines. They do not typically promote in group or team .. which means you need to change job functions and often locations for real promotions. If you want to manage your group .. you have to leave it and come back 3 years later. They put a huge emphasis on sales experience for higher management jobs where sales people tend to get overwhelmed by the technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly. I understand the motivation to diversify employees and cross train in multiple disciplines. But if an employee excels at his job and is really good at it, moving him up in the same organization should be possible. The common experience I believe is you need to leave your job that you have become exceptionally skilled at to get promoted. This is not an isolated incident or a single employee gripe.

Also, people with experience are often not consulted on big picture decisions. Nothing is more frustrating than to see my product line decisions being made above me without at least consultation. After all, the people in the trenches are the ones feeling the pain and understand why some of the subtle decisions are being made.

Great place to work if you're not a contractor

Embedded Software Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsReally great forward thinking atmosphere. Often performs community outreach, charity events, and continuing education presentations to break up the work day. At the same time challenges employees to perform at a high level.

ConsAs a Co-op there, I received lots of help to learn the Rockwell Automation development process. Full time hires receive similar treatment. Contractors on the other hand, seemed to get much less help learning the development process and were expected to just slowly figure it out.

Solid company with many opportunities for advancement.

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsI was provided with everything needed to complete my job. There is lots of room in the company to move around and change your career path as desired.

ConsComing out of college, I had to accept the job without knowing where I would be located after training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

7 month co-op, would go back in a heartbeat.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsHands on coding opportunities. Completed ~3 major projects during my 7 month co-op. Learned new programming languages. Had a senior software engineer as a mentor. Many other co-ops to interact with both at work professionally and through extracurricular activities socially. Received a housing stipend. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. I always was treated as a regular employee and not just as some co-op. Awesome company.

ConsSome things such as coordination between HR and financial department were confusing and non uniform.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide co-ops with subsidized housing.

Lots of opportunities

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsGet to work for a leader in automation

ConsNever a dull moment, always having to keep up

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing a great job

A good company with professional, flexible work environment.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Opportunities for travel
    Opportunities for career growth
    Support for local communities

ConsWeak benefits
    Lack of diveristy (age, gender, race)
    Rockwell Automation is a very good company to work for

Contractor

Controls Engineer (Former Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsGreat way to learn more how Rockwell Automation products are created.

ConsAs a contractor it is not a good place to work since we are only treated as an item, not a person who is eager to help the company. No interaction with the manager and feel like you don't belong.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat contractors as being part of a team not just a thing. Acknowledge that they exist.

Demonstration of DO NOT CARE attitude

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsBig company with potential to develop the software solutions based on the accumulated experience in industrial control. Huge depository of the legacy code.
    The position is good for the full time if you already work for several years.

ConsUnclear software design.
    "You do NOT want to know it" attitude.
    Huge corporate culture :(

Advice to Senior ManagementAsses the existed code and values.
    Create clear software design.

A great atmosphere to learn and excel in your field.

Intern (Former Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsRelaxed, but professional environment involved in the exciting world of automation. A long history makes this company stable and full of experts, while it embraces innovation and opportunities to move forward.

ConsDue to size of the company, several employee work needs were not met in a convenient amount of time, especially when first hired, but overall, I think the benefits of the company outweigh this understandable con.

An experience

Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsPeople are friendly. Decent cafeteria

ConsSome supervisor are very not knowledgeable of their task at hand. Positions available depending on who you are and who you know, not on what you know. I guess supervisor learn on the job. A little bullying in the department. Poor tools on hand to do a decent job. No upper support vs customer issues. It was time to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet informed qualified people in key positions not the son of an ex boss who may not be qualified.

Worked for Rockwell Automation? Contribute to the Community!