Rockwell Automation

Rockwell Automation Reviews in Mequon, WI

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Rockwell Automation Chairman, President, and CEO Keith D. Nosbusch

Keith D. Nosbusch

Pros
  • The culture, people and work life balance is something that excites me to come into work everyday(in 30 reviews)

• The work environment was very driven by ITIL documentation(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be out of whack - hours can be demanding(in 12 reviews)

• Senior management seems to be intentionally ignorant of the situation(in 7 reviews)

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great First Work Place

Hardware Development Engineer (Former Employee) Mequon, WI

ProsHealthy Competition within the team
    Experienced people who encourage younger new employees to learn and move ahead.

ConsNeeds higher ratio of younger crowd to bring in new ideas and update the system.
    Can do better with allowing innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the Engineers for realistic schedules. Take the risk for newer ideas.

Opportunity with challenges

Project Manager (Current Employee) Mequon, WI

ProsGood job with opprotunity to gain knowlwege in customer servise and project management in Highly matrix organisation

ConsNo clear directions from immidiate supervisory stuff, no backing from seniour management,

Great Company to Start In

Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Mequon, WI

ProsRockwell was a solid company to work for in Milwaukee. Great people. Great products. Great Research and Development. I worked in the R&D Dept and it was a cool contract opportunity. If your job is done well and you want more than they will gladly give it to you. Poking ones head up above the cubicles can give fantastic career results!

and as a side note...awesome cafeteria.

ConsToo much contract work. This left a fractured dynamic between full-time, contractors, and foreign hired engineers.

Ambiguity in the future. Because this company heavily hires contractors, it leaves all involved with less of a stake to have a vested interest in future success of the company and it shows.

People who have worked there for decades can be soured to building relationships and new contractors/hires quickly loose steam due to high turnovers.

Heath care needs improvement (astronomically high)

Energy at corporate is not high. All the empty space in the vast AB building is not very promising.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management at Rockwell is very solid but its commitment to the employees depends on "the market". I would recommend plucking the brightest from contractors and adding them to full time status more quickly. I have never had so much job satisfaction as I had in Mequon, WI working with the fine team of engineers and PM team on the Rhino project, but it was very stressful to try to maintain the concentration needed to add value to my position knowing that on the end of completion I would be terminated or my contract would end. I'm not sure if upper management even pays attention to all the griping and that can happen on here, but one thing is clear: Rockwell is definitely training great talent for other companies rather than retaining great talent for itself. This new trend of hiring great techs cheap and on contract is not good long-term for their products, customers, or long-term full-time employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So far, so good

Electrical Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Mequon, WI

ProsPlenty of opportunities, room to move around, competitive pay/benefits, knowledgeable HR, thorough coverage of future possibilities at Rockwell through Career Week

ConsNone that I've encountered (I know, shocking)

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, the two training programs put in place by both managers that I've worked under are excellent

Opportunity Abounds

Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Mequon, WI

ProsGreat People
    Interested Management
    Opportunity to advance and be mentored

ConsThere is a rising culture of contracted work. The contractors are great capable people who are looking for opportunity and Rockwell exploits them in order to keep appearances of stability. After all laying off or getting rid of temp staff never looks as bad as having massive full time layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to the workforce that is available and hire on contractors with great potential. Do not look over the gold that is in your yard for the change that is in anothers

Great Company and Great People

Project Manager (Current Employee) Mequon, WI

ProsThe Company prides itself on Ethical dealings and doing the best for it's customers and suppliers. All round looks after their employees and has great career planning.

ConsThe Health Care benefits are not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecision making needs to be more concise and then stick.

Great Company!

College Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Mequon, WI

ProsLots of opportunities for starting a career.

ConsDealing with IT is a pain

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Stone Age Rockwell - Don't Let Common Sense Get in the Way of Growth

Project Manager (Former Employee) Mequon, WI

ProsGood people, good product., good values.

ConsArchaic, still using many legacy software products, cannot see the forest through the trees, resulting in HUGE inefficiencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping looking for how to improve; don't just keep repeating old and bad operational and management mistakes.

A Bitter Sweet Experience

Tester, Assembly, Material Handler (Former Employee) Mequon, WI

Prossome of the people really tried to work and encourage me. I learned alot about variious aspects of Material Handling,Shipping,Assembly, and Testing. The Engineers were very helpful,and taught me alot about the company,and the Manufacturing process.

ConsWas not able to connect with the right people to get placed permanently. Could have used more guidance in finding the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more clues as to what direction would be best for job candidates.

A good place to start your career - but a bad place to grow

Production Control Analyst (Current Employee) Mequon, WI

Pros1. Scope for learning.
    2. Fairly unstructured management structure.
    3. You can work indipendently.

Cons1. Relationship based company. Your career growth depends more on who you know that your accomplishments.
    2. Recognition of work is not based on actual work, but more on perceptions.
    3. No career growth plan for individuals. You have to kind of make your own plans.
    4. Too frequent mid management moves.

Advice to Senior ManagementRockwell needs to aggresively promote people based on actual performance, than more on relationships. We need to bring some real experience and process into our operations.

Worked for Rockwell Automation? Contribute to the Community!