Rockwell Automation

Updated December 20, 2014
3.7

Rockwell Automation Chairman, President, and CEO Keith D. Nosbusch
Keith D. Nosbusch

Pros
  • The culture, people and work life balance is something that excites me to come into work everyday (in 32 reviews)

• The work environment was very driven by ITIL documentation (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be out of whack - hours can be demanding (in 13 reviews)

• Slow to change due to size of the organization (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

94 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on your manager it can be pretty laid back. It was a great opportunity for me to get my foot in the door. Co workers were a blast to work with. Great work life balance. Like their culture of inclusion

Cons

Slow to change but that's because of the size of the org. Lots of people retire here so not much opportunity for growth. HR realized I was being underpaid after working there for over a year. Even after I showed my salary should've been higher.

Listen to your employees, but also keep up the good work you've been doing so far.

Great place to work by a great lake!

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Rockwell Automation

Pros

Awesome place for your entire professional career. Vast opportunities (career paths, professional career rotations, business units, and locations globally). Many company sponsored social events for young and old employees including their families. Company really develops employee from day one with rotational training through various career path options. Diversity, inclusion, and respect is the norm. Great senior management team that you can actually meet and talk to (skip level lunches, networking events, etc...). Good managers that also do really help grow your career and skill set. Well above average pay, bonuses, and stock gifts.

Cons

Not many! Too many career options!

Keep doing what we are doing now! Keep creating benefits to compete with companies like Google.

Great Company

Current Employee - Lean Intern in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Lean Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Rockwell Automation as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

lots of movement
    great management
    big company

Cons

hard to get in
    hiring process is slow

One of the best places to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Work Environment, excellent culture and values, talented people and leaders. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow with the company.

Cons

current HR leadership is weak--although programs, benefits, practices are sound.

Great Company to start a career

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Rockwell Automation as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, great corporate culture and an awesome opportunity to move around in the organization as well as advance.

Cons

Terminology. Rockwell uses a ton of its own terminology and acronyms, which is fine, however coming aboard as an intern was a bit overwhelming as its almost like another language at first. Academia doesnt properly teach the daily terminology used in some businesses

Overall great experience

Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and develop

Cons

Lacks culture of inclusion and diversity in the management/leadership level

Every management should be educated on the importance of creating a creating of inclusion

R&D Electrical Engineer

Current Employee - Intern in Mequon, WI
    Current Employee - Intern in Mequon, WI

I have been working at Rockwell Automation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

RA is a lead company with professional employees.

Cons

It is hard to get in.

They treat their contractors/consultants well.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work for a 12 month contract. They have great people their and they treat people well.

Cons

They tend to be reluctant to keep contractors for much longer than a year.

It seems that you could use some improvement in implementing technologies such as GD&T and tolerance stackup since there seems to be reluctance on the part of some employees to take advantage of things they aren't familiar with.

Engineering Intern

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Rockwell Automation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Management cares about your development.
    A lot of work to do.
    Good post graduation career programs.

Cons

Nothing as of yet, I've had a great experience.

Happy to be Gone!!!

Former Employee - Operations in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Operations in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing positive to say really....I could say the salary is decent, until you start calculating the hours you are expected to put in at work, at home and even on weekends

Cons

When I left my previous job to go to Rockwell, I had 3 employees, who were previous Rockwell employees, warn me about accepting a position there.....I unfortunately did not listen.
    I think it might depend on what department you get stuck in...that said, my short-lived experience within Rockwell was horrible. The environment is extremely depressing; no windows, no color, no natural light and no communication to anyone outside your own team. This is one place that should NOT have cubes. The cube walls are over 5 ft tall and completely cut you off from any communication or interaction with other people. You're just expected to sit in a cube for 9, 10, 11 hours or more and plug away at your laptop. Give 100%, they want 110%. Give 110%, they want 120%
    Direct management technique is micromanagement. I'm not talking about a little micromanaging...I mean, every single thing you do, is micromanaged. It's exhausting to be on the receiving end of it. I hate to be the one doing it. As an experienced manager, I would add that the reason my superior micromanaged, was because she didn't know the 1st thing about managing a team. She had no management skills and no business being a manager. Its sad for the team to have to deal with the major lack of leadership. In part, it is because upper management has vacancies in their team. Therefore, there is no visibility to the issues facing the staff. Furthermore, the direct supervisor was beyond controlling. She would ask for input and ideas, but should anyone provide thoughts, they would just be dismissed and shot down. Her mentality was that 'she knew best' (Her way or the highway). Continuous reviews are more of a micromanage check. There was no initiative for personal development. I honestly have nothing positive to say about being there, other than I don't have to be there anymore. That is the happiest I've been in the past 10 months.

Management needs to understand the employees. They need to stop sitting on top, thinking everything is great. In my case, there are plenty of complaints about mid level management but the team, myself included, hasn't anyone to go to and feel safe about expressing their issues. Employees need to have a voice. We were given a mandatory department questionnaire that consists of questions the supervisor felt were important to her. We had to sign our names to it! That kills the effectiveness of the questionnaire because no one wanted to say what they actually thought, in fear of having a grudge held against them.
    Management needs to drop the arrogance. Yes, the company is doing well but that is not the only driver for success in a company.
    Understand that people have families and life outside of work. Really take a look at mid level management. From my experiences, they are in need of a lot of work and change. If you ignore the problems, they'll never be fixed.

Rockwell Automation Photos