Rockwell Automation

Rockwell Automation Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Rockwell Automation Chairman, President, and CEO Keith D. Nosbusch

Keith D. Nosbusch

Pros:
  • "The culture, people and work life balance is something that excites me to come into work everyday"
    in 30 reviews
  • "The work environment was very driven by ITIL documentation"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance within the functions are rocky due to certain business units being somewhat unorganized"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Senior management seems to be intentionally ignorant of the situation"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Strong Company, Great Values

ProsExcellent coworkers. Great work environment. Highly Ethical.

ConsBenefits are not the strong point.

Anonymous-RA

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsNice working environment, quality of work!

Consmicro managing! need to improve on employee trainings and benefits...

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee training in their area of work every year to cop with market trends and new demands!

Opportunity with challenges

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Mequon, WI

ProsGood job with opprotunity to gain knowlwege in customer servise and project management in Highly matrix organisation

ConsNo clear directions from immidiate supervisory stuff, no backing from seniour management,

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood teamwork environment, take good care of its employees

ConsLack of top down information sharing

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more with employees

The best of the best!

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe culture, people and work life balance is something that excites me to come into work everyday!

ConsLike any other company, it is difficult to gain headcount. The Milwaukee Headquarters building seems out of date.

Great First Work Place

Hardware Development Engineer (Former Employee)
    Mequon, WI

ProsHealthy Competition within the team
    Experienced people who encourage younger new employees to learn and move ahead.

ConsNeeds higher ratio of younger crowd to bring in new ideas and update the system.
    Can do better with allowing innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the Engineers for realistic schedules. Take the risk for newer ideas.

Rockwell ... a good place to work?

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsIn general, the pay scales are good. The technology and diversity of what you do can keep you challenged and motivated. There are opportunities to travel or to re-locate in a wide variety of global locations. They are also fairly flexible with work schedule. Though not as cool as an apple or a google, Automation still has a pretty high coolness factor. We control almost everything from linear accelerators to automotive assembly and hog processing.

ConsUpper management has a great tendency to steer off from the focused path of specific products or direction which can be frustrating. Too many managers driving product lines. They do not typically promote in group or team .. which means you need to change job functions and often locations for real promotions. If you want to manage your group .. you have to leave it and come back 3 years later. They put a huge emphasis on sales experience for higher management jobs where sales people tend to get overwhelmed by the technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly. I understand the motivation to diversify employees and cross train in multiple disciplines. But if an employee excels at his job and is really good at it, moving him up in the same organization should be possible. The common experience I believe is you need to leave your job that you have become exceptionally skilled at to get promoted. This is not an isolated incident or a single employee gripe.

Also, people with experience are often not consulted on big picture decisions. Nothing is more frustrating than to see my product line decisions being made above me without at least consultation. After all, the people in the trenches are the ones feeling the pain and understand why some of the subtle decisions are being made.

Flexible

Marketing Communications (Current Employee)

ProsWork for a small offsite division. Verify flexible for working parents with schedules. Very close office and personable.

ConsDue to being in a smaller division, there isn't any room to move into upper management or opportunities to improve ones career. Unless you move to Milwaukee. Salary compensation does not equal to job duties. Very hard to get a substantial raise.

Good people, good engineering, lousy benefits

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mayfield Heights, OH

ProsRockwell offers a good work/life balance & flexible hours. My coworkers are helpful and a pleasure to work with. Projects are interesting engineering challenges and Rockwell has the culture of an engineering firm. Management is decent and has a (reasonable) understanding of engineering.

ConsHR has been clawing back benefits every chance they can get. The last decent health insurance option was killed in 2014. Dental insurance is being cut back. Vision insurance doesn't exist. The pension was killed several years back for new employees.
    Rockwell says it pays for performance, but salary increases now barely keep up with inflation even if you're a "top performer". It seems that Rockwell is trying to drive away its greatest talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementI used to highly recommend Rockwell to anyone who would listen. No more. Management needs to stop thinking of employees as an expense to be reluctantly borne and start thinking of them again as Rockwell's greatest asset.

A True Culture of Inclusion

ProsI have worked for Rockwell Automation for more than 15 years. Throughout my employment I have been afforded opportunities at every turn to advance my career and make choices based on my interests, skills and work/life balance. I believe strongly in the solid leadership of this company and the decisions they make for our business. Communication, transparency (relative to strategy) and ethics are huge at Rockwell - all things that make you feel confident you are working for the right kind of company.

ConsRelocation (often international) becomes increasingly important if you want to advance to the senior leadership team.

Worked for Rockwell Automation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockwell Automation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rockwell Automation CEO Keith D. Nosbusch. All 323 reviews posted anonymously by Rockwell Automation employees.