Rockwell Automation

www.rockwellautomation.com
Profile Unclaimed

It all starts with culture...management sets the culture

Former Employee - Engineer in Richland Center, WI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Richland Center, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation is market value for job, but you earn your money. You can make progress if you are liked by management.

Cons

Situational ethics on many issues and the company changes their policies to reflect what management is doing vs. following their policies already written in the business code of conduct. If management doesn't like you, they use the PIP system to terminate you.

Productivity starts with you. Culture of valuing people and productivity is not present, that is where it starts.

They treat their contractors/consultants well.

Former Contractor - Mechanical Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Contractor - Mechanical Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for a 12 month contract. They have great people their and they treat people well.

Cons

They tend to be reluctant to keep contractors for much longer than a year.

It seems that you could use some improvement in implementing technologies such as GD&T and tolerance stackup since there seems to be reluctance on the part of some employees to take advantage of things they aren't familiar with.

Sales Driven Company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Rockwell Automation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent compensation for the work required. Focus on PMP certification and training support to obtain it. Management team is easily approachable.

Cons

Sales driven company, which is a con for someone interested in engineering. Opportunities for advancement limited without sales experience or willingness to relocate.

Consolidate business systems among the various groups.

Good place to work.

I have been working at Rockwell Automation

Pros

Great work environment at headquarters. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Good work life balance. Good ethics. Strong focus on personal development and moving up within the company. Very accommodating

Cons

Lots of empty space at HQ. Office areas are pretty outdated with old chairs, desks, etc.

Absolutely Phenomenal!

Current Contractor - Field Sales Administrator in Omaha, NE
    Current Contractor - Field Sales Administrator in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Rockwell Automation as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Management is wonderful and appreciative. They play on your strengths and make sure you are doing what you love and are passionate about. They give you the tools that you need to be successful. They have a method for open communication and excellent inclusive policies.

Cons

Going from contract to full-time employee is tricky business.

Continue to maintain a good work/family balance and keep investing in your employees.

Engineering Intern

Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Rockwell Automation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Management cares about your development.
    A lot of work to do.
    Good post graduation career programs.

Cons

Nothing as of yet, I've had a great experience.

Intern experience

Current Intern - Demand Planning Analyst
    Current Intern - Demand Planning Analyst

I have been working at Rockwell Automation as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great growth opportunities and upper management

Cons

Learning experience is all up to the employee themeselves, also need to be better at retaining interns.

Absolutely outstanding

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Twinsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Twinsburg, OH

I worked at Rockwell Automation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Customer and worker satisfaction, attention to Quality

Cons

1st line Managers focus should be Managing employees on the floor.

Be cautious when listening too much to employees on floor because of the tenure most have there, they have very selfish agendas. Need more Women and minorities in leadership roles.

Good company to start with

I have been working at Rockwell Automation part-time (less than a year)

Pros

easy to get involved in the group project works

Cons

slow path, not quite fit for young people

Happy to be Gone!!!

Former Employee - Operations in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Operations in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Rockwell Automation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing positive to say really....I could say the salary is decent, until you start calculating the hours you are expected to put in at work, at home and even on weekends

Cons

When I left my previous job to go to Rockwell, I had 3 employees, who were previous Rockwell employees, warn me about accepting a position there.....I unfortunately did not listen.
    I think it might depend on what department you get stuck in...that said, my short-lived experience within Rockwell was horrible. The environment is extremely depressing; no windows, no color, no natural light and no communication to anyone outside your own team. This is one place that should NOT have cubes. The cube walls are over 5 ft tall and completely cut you off from any communication or interaction with other people. You're just expected to sit in a cube for 9, 10, 11 hours or more and plug away at your laptop. Give 100%, they want 110%. Give 110%, they want 120%
    Direct management technique is micromanagement. I'm not talking about a little micromanaging...I mean, every single thing you do, is micromanaged. It's exhausting to be on the receiving end of it. I hate to be the one doing it. As an experienced manager, I would add that the reason my superior micromanaged, was because she didn't know the 1st thing about managing a team. She had no management skills and no business being a manager. Its sad for the team to have to deal with the major lack of leadership. In part, it is because upper management has vacancies in their team. Therefore, there is no visibility to the issues facing the staff. Furthermore, the direct supervisor was beyond controlling. She would ask for input and ideas, but should anyone provide thoughts, they would just be dismissed and shot down. Her mentality was that 'she knew best' (Her way or the highway). Continuous reviews are more of a micromanage check. There was no initiative for personal development. I honestly have nothing positive to say about being there, other than I don't have to be there anymore. That is the happiest I've been in the past 10 months.

Management needs to understand the employees. They need to stop sitting on top, thinking everything is great. In my case, there are plenty of complaints about mid level management but the team, myself included, hasn't anyone to go to and feel safe about expressing their issues. Employees need to have a voice. We were given a mandatory department questionnaire that consists of questions the supervisor felt were important to her. We had to sign our names to it! That kills the effectiveness of the questionnaire because no one wanted to say what they actually thought, in fear of having a grudge held against them.
    Management needs to drop the arrogance. Yes, the company is doing well but that is not the only driver for success in a company.
    Understand that people have families and life outside of work. Really take a look at mid level management. From my experiences, they are in need of a lot of work and change. If you ignore the problems, they'll never be fixed.

Rockwell Automation Photos