Rockwell Collins
www.rockwellcollins.com Cedar Rapids, IA 5000+ Employees

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

Pros:
  • "A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance"
    in 44 reviews
  • "The Cedar Rapids headquarters has some of the nicest people in the world working there"
    in 37 reviews
Cons:
  • "Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees"
    in 64 reviews
  • "No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Going downhill rather quickly

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsSmall town , nepotistic , pedantic leadership with limited vision and slow reaction to real world events. Stuck in the late 80's technology

ConsManagers , VP's and directors have all been with the company since birth so no one will ever get fired / laid off or given a demotion. The present leader was a bean counter

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your retirement before its all gone

top heavy limited mgmt engagement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosholiday shutdown time off is ok
    I cannot think of other pros as the company kept shuffling department heads every year

Conseverything else basically
    limited upward mobility
    reviews based on friendship with management not actual perofrmance
    good ol boy system for senior management
    bait and switch frequently to bring people to Iowa from across country

avoid....

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Prostime off in winter, good pay for city size

Consexpectations never set so performance impossible to achieve unless you are friend of manager, management carousel within departments provided no continuity, guidance, or defined plan. Benefits well below average for industry, good ol boy system sets who is shielded from work and who is set up to fail. Bait and switch to bring in people from around country and then change roles to fit newest idea for projects without regard for skill sets original hired to use. Training is a joke.

Advice to Senior Managementretire....

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The destruction of a once great company to work for.

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsEmployee Comradery is as good as most companies.

ConsMajority Government business. Poor Senior Management

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand Division Capabilities. Put more focus on employee experience and capabilities vs Ethinic background and Diversity.

Very let down by management styles

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsHad good benefits and salaries

ConsNo longer has good benefits. Management tends to be retroactive and likes to find a fall person when things go wrong

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are all one company no matter what. Solve problems as a team with your subordinates instead of escalating to the next level to cover yourself.

IGNORANT PLACE TO WORK

Melbourne, FL

ProsJUST THE EMPLOYEE JOB BENEFITS

ConsTo start off, I didn't pass assembly school which was soldering, I never in my life soldered before I didn't even know what was involved, so I didn't pass the test only by about 4 mistakes and they let me go, so I was lied to by the lady there she told me to reapply when the position opens back up this was in 2011, I have applied there to many positions that I qualify for since than, I now am an excellent solderer and and IPC certified and training as an engineer technician with another company, I have worked in electronics since they let me go and that's how I got the experience.
    Im graduating with a bachelor of science in computer science next year.

This is an ignorant and stupid company due to me not passing the test the first time I just found out I'm not eligible for rehire, so that's it no second chance what so ever. I'm sure people have not passed it the first time and afterwards picked up the skills needed like I have excelled beyond, this company needs people like me for the future, young, motivated and talented. But to be honest I wouldn't want to work for an A****** company like this that won't even consider new skills, I wish them nothing but failure,I hope they fail and that other companies are kicking their A** because what goes around comes around.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP BEING SO STUCK UP AND IGNORNAT A*******, YOU GIVE A PERSON A SOLDERING TEST AND LET THEM GO JUST BECAUSE THEY DON'T PASS SOMETHING THEY NEVER DID IN THEIR LIFE, THAN YOU BAN THEM AND THEY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO BE REHIRED JUST DUE TO THAT REASON.

Unethical Company

Principal Engineering Manager (Former Employee)
    Richardson, TX

ProsFlex time, Ipp and decent salary. Like my first boss

ConsYearly ratings are top directed. Doesn't matter what you did if they need some "1"s they at Diector level force you to thin the herd. Very unethical actions on the part of senior leadership. Don't be old or a person of color if you want a full career

Disappointing, Job not a career.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsUsually not micro managed. Flex time. The company has been working to upgrade the average employees computer and phone to allow more productivity. Most company hardware and facilities are being given a 'cleaner' look.

ConsNo rewards. Cut back on benefits every year. Middle Management full of politics. Career Opportunities limited to who you know. Salary will not keep up with industry average.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith 15% attrition and overwhelming negative employee moral...don't you think you're driving the company down?

Not a company anyone should join unless you are from cedar rapids or a U of Iowa grad

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsGood old boy network used to employ frieinds and family of employees

ConsBe ready to be put down by the good old Iowa managers. As one director put it "unless you go to our school and are a family member you are nothing but cheap labor to us. No one else understands how Rc works" they lay people off on a 10 year cycle then use that as an excuse to buy and ruin other companies. Cedar Rapids is the only place things get done at.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice they won't listen

Former contract employee

Melbourne, FL

Prosfree parking, coffee and donuts.

Consextremely poor culture/management with no backbone - only care about the numbers
    policies and procedures are laughable because very little is enforced
    very frustrating for contractors to work alongside full-time employees who abuse cell phone use, apparently its permissible if they are good friends with a lead or supervisor.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to employees who do give a sh*t!
    can the dead weight that keeps good contract workers from getting hired!
    do the right thing by hiring hard working contract workers and stop playing games.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!

Rockwell Collins Videos

Rockwell Collins – Why Work for Us?

Big thinking. Big network. Big possibilities. Why does that describe working at Rockwell Collins? Because the first moon transmission was our achievement. So was the development of GPS. What about networked battlespaces… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockwell Collins reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rockwell Collins CEO Kelly Ortberg. All 594 reviews posted anonymously by Rockwell Collins employees.