Rockwell Collins
www.rockwellcollins.com Cedar Rapids, IA 5000+ Employees

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

Pros:
  • "A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance"
    in 42 reviews
  • "the cost of living in cedar rapids in iowa is very less so its a advantage"
    in 34 reviews
Cons:
  • "Cedar Rapids centric, even when the technology is being developed at a satellite location"
    in 62 reviews
  • "No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Rockwell Collins is focused on ethics and diversity.

Customer Service Engineer (Former Employee)
Duluth, GA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDiversity focus, ethics in all they do. Communication within the organization is open and leadership is constantly updating the business units on the state of the business.

ConsThey have a big business mentality when it comes to policies and procedures. Flexibility and ability to react to smaller opportunities are lost within the big picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain a close eye on the government and commercial balance within Rockwell. Be ready to transition to more commercial as the DOD budgets are being reduced.

Good, solid company trying to grow internationally in a slow market

Principal Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStrong corporate values, new CEO vision and energy
Well positioned for future growth once market rebounds
Taking a much more proactive approach to keep employees engaged

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement due to very low leadership attrition
Slow progress in growing internationally
Services disconnected from CS and GS business units

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities to move within the company
Incorporate services for true LCVSM model

I would do it again.

Contractor (Former Employee)
Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGood Pay - calm & measured work-pace, all the material and people resources to do my job and most surprising of all when the 9/11 attack hit six months into my project and all the contractors were laid off, my management convinced the finance folks to bring me back after 12 days so I ended up getting my 12 month PO(purchase order) that was originally promised after all.

ConsThe job I actually ended up doing was not exactly the same as the one my contract shop recruiter described and there is NOT enough parking for all the people in the main facility and management changed my team leader four times through my consulting project. Also my contract shop recruiter ended up changing its name and re-organizing from TechNet Staffing to Jade Consulting and bounced my last couple of payroll checks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTimes have changed since 2001-2002 - yet I note from my brokers S&P report of COL(Rockwell-Collins) that management continues to maintain profitability, and moreover, annual EPS has risen every year since 2008 with the exception of 2009 which was the depth of the last recession.

Rockwell Collins, Houston, TX

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rockwell Collins

ProsSmall work environment, friendly users and a great location off of the Beltway and Westheimer.

ConsNo cons come to mind at the moment

Least dysfunctional company I've worked for

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDecent pay, good benefits, excellent opportunities for education / training if you take advantage of them; Actively trying to improve based on employee feedback

ConsInconsistent; some departments ride employees until they die; Others have great leadership; Primarily leadership needs some training and resources to improve; Afraid to admit when make bad choice on who to put in those positions

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you treat engineers like statistics or factory workers they will either eventually behave like that or leave

Do not accept a position at Rockwell Collins. Flip burgers, do ANYTHING but work here

Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWell, it's a paycheck, benefits aren't horrible.

ConsRockwell Collins is a toxic work environment. It requires a very special kind of self hatred to actually like working in this place. There is only two valid reasons I can come up with why anyone would want to work here. You want to live in Iowa and you're an engineer. Cause there's not many other places to work except RC if you're an electrical engineer in Eastern Iowa.

80% of your time as an EE will be spent doing paperwork and if you're lucky, the other 20% might involve some design work, that's if you are VERY lucky.

The technology is outdated (think 1990s), the management is outdated (think 1980s), the company infrastructure is WAY outdated (think dial up internet; except dial up would be faster).

Rockwell brags about it's 'technology'. Truth is it's 7-10 years behind the technology curve that the rest of the world works in. You'll be working on old old stuff, especially if you're a software engineer. DO NOT COME HERE IF YOU ARE A SW ENGINEER. EVER. Deliver pizzas if you have to. Just don't come to Rockwell. Think 5 inch floppy drives. Yep. That's right.

If you like BS paperwork, you might fit in. Try DOORS, Microsoft Project, Subversion, Clear Quest, Clear Case, PREP, SAP, for starters. How about Lotus Notes for your e mail? And how about no SPICE simulation tool? How about no Sigrity, no HFSS, no net constrait tool, the crappiest layout tool you will ever see (Zuken CR5000). Would you like to spend most of your career linking requirements in DOORS? Well, maybe this place would be for you...but I doubt it.

Most of the engineers I worked with fit into several categories. Some want to live in Iowa and like RC, some have no marketable skills to offer any other employer and they are literally stuck at RC and don't like it, and the retired in place people whose only wish is to last long enough to get enough points to qualify for retirement. All versions are mediocre engineers. There are a few bright spots, but usually they leave for greener pastures. If you are eager to learn and grow your career, these engineers are not the ones you want to work with. You will learn NOTHING except the Rockwell process, good for only one thing; working at Rockwell. Trust me.

Now as for 'moving up the ladder' in engineering? Forget it. Only path up is management, usually program management. You'll spend 15 years toiling away as a grunt engineer before you are even considered for a promotion to principle. Yeah, 15 long years. And most admins get treated FAR better than grunt engineer types. Why? Supply and demand. Think about it. 1 place to work in Cedar as an engineer, 100 places to work as an admin. Supply and demand. They are comfortable hiring engineers to do admin work because it's so difficult to find admins to work at Rockwell, no lie friend.

My advice: there are so many other real companies in the country, even other avionics places, where you'll do far better than working at this dismal, depressing, soul crushing company. You have been warned. If you do choose to join, plan on 1 year then getting the heck out. You have to stay 1 year to not have to pay back the moving and bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement you know what the problems are, and you know how to fix them but you don't because that would be too 'risky'. Grow a pair Kelly, get this thing sorted out before the company is sold for scrap because that's about all you'll have left over if you don't turn this ship around and fast.

Great Place to work

Program Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery successful and ethical company. You can have multiple careers without leaving the company.

ConsHigh ROS limits growth and acquisition opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKelly has been a breathe of fresh air, and will make the country grow!

Director

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you work hard good things happen

ConsLiving in Cedar Rapids should move headquarters to St Louis....

Advice to Senior ManagementLike Ortberg's new direction....keep it up

Same stuff, different day

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

ProsKeep your head down and don't rock the boat and you can work your 40 hours for 40 years with no problem

ConsAll changes are driven from top management. Even when employees give feedback, top management puts their spin on it to make it what they want it to be. Then, when good engineers leave, they scratch their head wondering what happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit asking for feedback if you are just going to do what you want to do anyway.

Lots of exciting things happening at Rockwell Collins - cool products and positive energy

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsChallenging work, good culture in most areas of the company, highly skilled employees, dedicated leadership, good personal and career development opportunities, recent efforts to improve engagement of engineering workforce are positive

ConsStill a lot of stovepipes, some organizations and managers do not work well together, declining benefits a concern

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue communicating reasons behind decisions not to pursue or invest in some areas

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!

Rockwell Collins Videos

Rockwell Collins – Why Work for Us?

Big thinking. Big network. Big possibilities. Why does that describe working at Rockwell Collins? Because the first moon transmission was our achievement. So was the development of GPS. What about networked battlespaces… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockwell Collins reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rockwell Collins CEO Kelly Ortberg. All 564 reviews posted anonymously by Rockwell Collins employees.