Rockwell Collins

www.rockwellcollins.com

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance(in 46 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time)(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees(in 65 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs(in 17 reviews)

Wonderful company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits - lots of PTO. Employees are fun and pleasant to work with. Tuition reimbursement. Management is flexible and understanding.

ConsNo cons from when I was there

Not a bad place to work, not great but not bad

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros- Big company in a small town
    - Good work life balance
    - Onsite cafeteria
    - Workout facility and
    - Child care close by
    - Tuition reimbursement

Cons- Chances for advancement are slim
    - The facilities are very old and need repaired
    - Benefits have been decreased in the past couple of years
    - Very political place to work, be prepared to play the game.
    - Too many layers of leadership and not enough empowerment to individual contributors.

Advice to Senior Management- Uniforms for the bargaining unit, Embarrassing to take suppliers and customers down to the manufacturing floor and see some of the outfits people wear to work, in my previous experience most production members wear jeans without holes, work boots and customer logo t-shirts / polos.

- Get rid of assigned parking except for directors and above,

- Post a guard during business hours for the 108 entrance - This is listed as the visitor entrance, too often visitors are stuck standing outside in the tunnel waiting for their sponsor, this is Iowa where it is really cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer, visitors should not be stuck outside in the elements.

-Police the smokers on Blairsferry & Collins Road, if you want a smoke free campus police it or allow smokers to smoke in the courtyard where no-one can see them, having employees stand on the street corner smoking is very tacky.

Need's more Perks

ProsI enjoy the Holiday shut down and have long thought of it as a huge perk, until recently- when I found out that almost all engineering companies offer that same holiday shutdown to their employee's as well. Rockwell needs to not settle for "meeting market standards" but instead, be above the standards- we need more perks, otherwise, what is going to draw in a competitive workforce?

ConsI don't have a whole lot of negative comments, but the one thing I do notice, is that there aren't very many "Entry Level" positions that become available. As a recent graduate, I would like the opportunity to move within the company, but can't due to lack of experience.

I see my current position as a "Job" not a career.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Take this job if you desire stability

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Prosintegration of commercial and government systems helps prevent bubble and burst hiring cycles. Unlimited sick time. Above average pay. Excellent bonuses. Employee stock purchase program

Consthe good jobs go to the Rockwell lifers. No one seems to care about previous experience after hire date. Lack of exposure to parallel fields stunts technical growth. Cedar Rapids centric, even when the technology is being developed at a satellite location.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up a better new hire integration program. Think about adding a rotation program or leadership program on a cyclical basis to incorporate the strengths of external hires to the corporation.

Great place to work and grow

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsI love what I do and the people I work with everyday. Great work/life balance and excellent leadership support

ConsCompensation tends to drag behind the competitive average and promotions are slow unless you fight HR every step.

Advice to Senior ManagementOver-communicate your view of the future of the company. Many engineers struggle with the direction of the company and their place in that future.

Not the job for anyone with a long-term career in mind.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work is interesting and fun. Benefits and pay seem to be competitive.

ConsThe volume of work is all too inconsistent and lead to annual layoff season around late November. Even long established employees that played key roles were fair game. Prepare for lots of survivors guilt, low morale, and keep your resume current for what is almost inevitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis could be a great place to work and even retire with. Fix the revolving door for the people that actually make the company money.

terrible experience last 2 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossmall pockets of success may make work enjoyable

Conscorporate in-bread culture from central Iowa, very little outside view points or experience; myoptic

Lots of project opportunities, but you may quickly feel caught in a rut.

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsLots of good people to work with (at least in my group).
    Challenging technically, but not fast-paced engaging environment.

ConsDO-processes hinder creativity. Easy to feel underutilized.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline engineering processes. IT needs to be more flexible in meeting project needs.

I worked here for two years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally friendly laid back engineering atmosphere.

ConsEmployment levels fluctuate with each contract.

Great company with good values

Manager (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsGreat people, solid management, good ethics

ConsNo cons come to mind.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!