Rockwell Collins
www.rockwellcollins.com Cedar Rapids, IA 5000+ Employees

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

Pros:
  • "A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance"
    in 44 reviews
  • "The Cedar Rapids headquarters has some of the nicest people in the world working there"
    in 37 reviews
Cons:
  • "Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees"
    in 64 reviews
  • "No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Take this job if you desire stability

Portland, OR

Prosintegration of commercial and government systems helps prevent bubble and burst hiring cycles. Unlimited sick time. Above average pay. Excellent bonuses. Employee stock purchase program

Consthe good jobs go to the Rockwell lifers. No one seems to care about previous experience after hire date. Lack of exposure to parallel fields stunts technical growth. Cedar Rapids centric, even when the technology is being developed at a satellite location.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up a better new hire integration program. Think about adding a rotation program or leadership program on a cyclical basis to incorporate the strengths of external hires to the corporation.

Great People, Poor Software

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Wilsonville, OR

ProsThey have some nice folks and a great facility.

ConsDuring my 6 months with Rockwell Collins, I encountered the following:

- poor overall software development
    - poor grammar
    - poor documentation
    - poor requirements writing

I spent 4 years and 9 months at a competing Aerospace company prior to my Rockwell Collins contract-to-hire position and I had nothing to learn but bad habits.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonor your contract-to-HIRE agreements. Do not string along engineering talent because one of your accountants forgot to carry the 1.

Lots of project opportunities, but you may quickly feel caught in a rut.

Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsLots of good people to work with (at least in my group).
    Challenging technically, but not fast-paced engaging environment.

ConsDO-processes hinder creativity. Easy to feel underutilized.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline engineering processes. IT needs to be more flexible in meeting project needs.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall positive, certainly the ups and downs of any major corporation but a great place to work.

Principal Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsDoing something that matters was important to me (DoD focus), career progression and values aligned well with mine.

ConsCorporate "answer to the quarterly numbers" mentality was often very shortsighted. When times got tough, the first things to go was the funding for things that would set you up for success in follow on years (R&D, product line development, B&P, etc)

Overall good experience

Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsStable corporation with interesting technology. Generally good compensation/benefits.

ConsSame old story...executive level preaches about quality ("Do it right as fast as you can." vs. "Do it fast as right as you can")...but short term schedule always wins out over doing the right thing in the long run...but hey...I've never worked for a large company that was any different :-)

I worked here for two years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally friendly laid back engineering atmosphere.

ConsEmployment levels fluctuate with each contract.

Great company with good values

Manager (Current Employee)
    Richardson, TX

ProsGreat people, solid management, good ethics

ConsNo cons come to mind.

Do not accept a position at Rockwell Collins. Flip burgers, do ANYTHING but work here

Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsWell, it's a paycheck, benefits aren't horrible.

ConsRockwell Collins is a toxic work environment. It requires a very special kind of self hatred to actually like working in this place. There is only two valid reasons I can come up with why anyone would want to work here. You want to live in Iowa and you're an engineer. Cause there's not many other places to work except RC if you're an electrical engineer in Eastern Iowa.

80% of your time as an EE will be spent doing paperwork and if you're lucky, the other 20% might involve some design work, that's if you are VERY lucky.

The technology is outdated (think 1990s), the management is outdated (think 1980s), the company infrastructure is WAY outdated (think dial up internet; except dial up would be faster).

Rockwell brags about it's 'technology'. Truth is it's 7-10 years behind the technology curve that the rest of the world works in. You'll be working on old old stuff, especially if you're a software engineer. DO NOT COME HERE IF YOU ARE A SW ENGINEER. EVER. Deliver pizzas if you have to. Just don't come to Rockwell. Think 5 inch floppy drives. Yep. That's right.

If you like BS paperwork, you might fit in. Try DOORS, Microsoft Project, Subversion, Clear Quest, Clear Case, PREP, SAP, for starters. How about Lotus Notes for your e mail? And how about no SPICE simulation tool? How about no Sigrity, no HFSS, no net constrait tool, the crappiest layout tool you will ever see (Zuken CR5000). Would you like to spend most of your career linking requirements in DOORS? Well, maybe this place would be for you...but I doubt it.

Most of the engineers I worked with fit into several categories. Some want to live in Iowa and like RC, some have no marketable skills to offer any other employer and they are literally stuck at RC and don't like it, and the retired in place people whose only wish is to last long enough to get enough points to qualify for retirement. All versions are mediocre engineers. There are a few bright spots, but usually they leave for greener pastures. If you are eager to learn and grow your career, these engineers are not the ones you want to work with. You will learn NOTHING except the Rockwell process, good for only one thing; working at Rockwell. Trust me.

Now as for 'moving up the ladder' in engineering? Forget it. Only path up is management, usually program management. You'll spend 15 years toiling away as a grunt engineer before you are even considered for a promotion to principle. Yeah, 15 long years. And most admins get treated FAR better than grunt engineer types. Why? Supply and demand. Think about it. 1 place to work in Cedar as an engineer, 100 places to work as an admin. Supply and demand. They are comfortable hiring engineers to do admin work because it's so difficult to find admins to work at Rockwell, no lie friend.

My advice: there are so many other real companies in the country, even other avionics places, where you'll do far better than working at this dismal, depressing, soul crushing company. You have been warned. If you do choose to join, plan on 1 year then getting the heck out. You have to stay 1 year to not have to pay back the moving and bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement you know what the problems are, and you know how to fix them but you don't because that would be too 'risky'. Grow a pair Kelly, get this thing sorted out before the company is sold for scrap because that's about all you'll have left over if you don't turn this ship around and fast.

Great vision!

Customer Account Specialist (Current Employee)
    Wilsonville, OR

ProsGreat executive management with where the company is headed. I like the weekly communication that is sent to us from the new CEO.

ConsNot a lot of growth potential in my current location.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey could really look into smaller areas of the business for ethical, or unethical, decisions being made by certain management. There should be a better life/work balance.

I would do it again.

Contractor (Former Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsGood Pay - calm & measured work-pace, all the material and people resources to do my job and most surprising of all when the 9/11 attack hit six months into my project and all the contractors were laid off, my management convinced the finance folks to bring me back after 12 days so I ended up getting my 12 month PO(purchase order) that was originally promised after all.

ConsThe job I actually ended up doing was not exactly the same as the one my contract shop recruiter described and there is NOT enough parking for all the people in the main facility and management changed my team leader four times through my consulting project. Also my contract shop recruiter ended up changing its name and re-organizing from TechNet Staffing to Jade Consulting and bounced my last couple of payroll checks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTimes have changed since 2001-2002 - yet I note from my brokers S&P report of COL(Rockwell-Collins) that management continues to maintain profitability, and moreover, annual EPS has risen every year since 2008 with the exception of 2009 which was the depth of the last recession.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!

Rockwell Collins Videos

Rockwell Collins – Why Work for Us?

Big thinking. Big network. Big possibilities. Why does that describe working at Rockwell Collins? Because the first moon transmission was our achievement. So was the development of GPS. What about networked battlespaces… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockwell Collins reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rockwell Collins CEO Kelly Ortberg. All 594 reviews posted anonymously by Rockwell Collins employees.