Rockwell Collins

Rockwell Collins Reviews in Iowa

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

265 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Loved the work but company moved out of the business

Principal Engineer (Former Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsWorking with talented people.
    Engineering focus.

ConsLittle room for innovation.
    Very conservative about technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation can happen here

Once Great, Now Just OK

Principal Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros* By and large a lot of smart engineers.
    * I like the Mid-Western values,,,,Iowa is an easy place to live

Cons* Significant lack of senior and mid-level leadership. We need senior leaders with a skill set that goes beyond by-name tracking of who took their 20 min training video before the end of the month.
    * Very much a Good Old Boys club for Senior Leadership
    * Not a clue what Lean really means. Just cut Budget even more =/= Lean. But we are very good at tracking who read the lean book.
    * Old, out-dated office environment.

Advice to Senior Management* Need new Senior Level Leadership. Why keep same Senior VPs in the same job for 10+ years?
    * Pick Leaders because of their Demonstrated Accomplishments and Leadership skills....not how nice their hair cuts are and their skill at networking at after work events. Need more Capability and less Ego.
    * Become more Customer focused (like it used to be). "Just Good Enough" should not be good enough.
    * Spend some money on carpet and paint.....and cleaner restrooms...ewwww gross :(
    * OMG please bring in new IT dept leadership and technology.

Management lacking, poor planning and starting to be a non-customer focused company

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsAt the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time). There are some really good coworkers. The company isn't headquartered in California, Texas or Florida so the midwest values and friendly people are here. The company is really trying to make things better when they can.

ConsThe benefits are steadily going away or getting worse. I joined Rockwell Collins in 2004 for 3 reasons, the Christmas Holiday Break, paid overtime and the company was customer focused instead of "shareholder" focused. But since I have been here, the paid overtime has gone away and the company is continually becoming a "shareholder" based company and all but two of my years here, I've been required to work the Christmas holiday due to unbelievable poor management and poor scheduling. I mentioned that there are some really good coworkers, but on the other hand there are some really bad ones as well. The company definitely plays favorites and if you aren't a favorite, even if you would like to remain here, the management really makes it difficult to stay motivated and happy with your job. The company is trying to improve processes and business culture, but there are so many people that think things should stay the way that they are, that improvements are nearly impossible. The company seems to think that by barely squeaking by in getting a certification or approval that absolutely nothing should change, which in turn causes the continual use of a bad ideas or processes just because it "worked" in the past, when in all reality, it kinda worked, but just barely. The poor planning requires people to really step it up in order to meet deadlines, and everyone really tries to do that, but management seems to think that everyone should keep up that pace all the time which is really hard to stay motivated and happy when everyone knows that there is going to massive hours ahead when the schedules come out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to being a customer focused company. Try to recognize people that do a great job, even though they might not be the ones who continually brag about how good a job they do. Try to get management and people who do planning on the same page, so the employees don't have to continually pull off miracles to meet really bad deadlines.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Five years of experience at Rockwell Collins...

Senior Training Specialist (Current Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros- A leader in the industry
    - Strong history
    - Continuing to build, expand world-wide
    - Dedicated financial resources to innovation/research-development
    - Global company
    - Multi-business diversity (Ex. Government, Commercial, Service)
    - Community - easy to get around, good education systems, low cost of living

Cons- If you are not from an engineering or IT background, career advancement & development is limited
    - Somewhat reliant upon government contracts, that has caused financial stress in years past
    - Midwest/Iowa based headquarters, not favored by those not native to cold winters & rural environments etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more educational & development opportunities outside of engineering focus.

Satellite Factories play politics, uneducated supervisors

Manchester, IA

ProsBenefits good, interesting work, good resources for doing your job.

ConsSome work centers are pushed too hard, too much volume, time pressure, management acts oblivious, especially in factories outside of Cedar Rapids

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to whats happening on the floor, morale is lower in some areas than you might think. Some supervisors cover themselves as opposed to trying to correct the situation.Consider re-organizing/splitting up some centers.

Wonderful company

Manucturing Engineer (Former Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsThe Cedar Rapids headquarters has some of the nicest people in the world working there. The company shows good regard for its employees and hard work is expected and rewarded.

ConsVery hard to get a job at Rockwell Collins unless you know someone on the inside. Long hours of hard work can be expected. There's a right way and wrong way to do things but the only right way is the way Rockwell Collins has always done it (new ideas not accepted here).

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the communications problems with your HR department. All the HR effort seems to be on existing employees to the detriment of recruiting new blood.

Good company

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood people
    Great work life balance
    Recent policy changes have made career growth opportunities better
    Lots of opportunity for bonuses

ConsLarge company with a lot of policy changes with unclear reasons.

Post Military Disaster

Publications (Current Employee)

ProsNice location in Cedar Rapids

ConsConfused managers in various forms that are completely UN-knowledgeable in areas they are in place to manage. They are in charge but have no clue. No one can make decisions and when they do it's usually wrong. Program Managers have very little experience in dealing with the actual development areas. If your a Hawkeye Graduate Your in, otherwise, it's a long climb to get anywhere. People hired or moved into positions because they are friends of friends or family and not even qualified. A complete and total disaster. Upper Management has no clue as to what is going on 2 levels below them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip on what is going on in your company. You can't keep hiring YES men and Women. Eventually that will bite you in the butt. Needless to say people are leaving the company on their own accord in a bad way.

Comfortable Job with little promise for future

Software Engineer E1 (Former Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsOverall, my employment here was a decent experience. As long as you can manage yourself to an extent, you will be able to find something to do to keep yourself busy. It may be just testing software, but its something to get going. Overall, the technology tends to lag behind industry but sometimes makes sense for reliability reasons. If you are looking for a comfortable job in a laid back city, this is it.

ConsThere are certainly some managers here that should have never left their desk as an engineer. When it comes to writing code or designing a project, they are fantastic. But when it comes to management style, well, there is no management style. Over my year of full-time employment here, I was going onto my third manager due to reorgs, people leaving, etc. Also, the work given to entry level engineers, most of the time the most code you will write is some Python to automate a test.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on getting better managers in place, and I think the employees will be happier.

Outstanding company that cares about there employees.

ProsDiversified company
    Strong upper level leadership
    Opportunities for growth
    Values individual performance

ConsIndustry and customers requests drive challenges not faced in other markets. Avionics does not have the benefit of using unproven tools or technologies which one becomes accustomed to in school leading to bigger challenges then most new grads are willing to to tackle.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to put an emphasis on the employees. Need to ensure this mentality is driven throughout all levels of leadership, especially the lowest level.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!

Rockwell Collins Videos

Rockwell Collins – Why Work for Us?

Big thinking. Big network. Big possibilities. Why does that describe working at Rockwell Collins? Because the first moon transmission was our achievement. So was the development of GPS. What about networked battlespaces… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockwell Collins reviews and ratings in Iowa — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rockwell Collins CEO Kelly Ortberg. All 265 reviews posted anonymously by Rockwell Collins employees.