Rockwell Collins Reviews in Iowa

Updated August 16, 2014
Updated August 16, 2014

3.2

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 65 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

318 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at Rockwell Collins is absolutely wonderful. For anyone entering the financial and accounting world, recommend.

Current Employee - Finance Rotate  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Finance Rotate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive networking, company wants to build you from ground up, lots of promotions and moveability

Cons

Cedar Rapids is a growing city, but may be small for someone who is from a bigger city.

Good company to work for. Major player in avionics industry.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very well balanced work load. Most of the software development process is automated. Competitive benefits. Unlimited sick leaves. Flexible schedules. Easy to choose from several different career paths.

Cons

compensation is average could do better.

Many changes recently with good results. Keep talking to the employers through surveys and keep improving.

Mediocre now, used to be great

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Rockwell Collins is large enough to offer opportunities to move around within the company.
    Cedar Rapids is a great place to raise a family. It is calm and safe, and the people are really nice.
    Cost of living in Iowa is low, so even with a salary lower than the national average, it is better than a higher salary elsewhere.
    There are some really cool projects and programs within the company, with cutting-edge technology.

Cons

RC has been declining in multiple aspects. Competitiveness, quality, culture, work-ethic, benefits, you name it.
    Benefits have been getting getting dramatically worse over the past 5 years, worse healthcare, declining 401K matching. Outsourcing has hurt the quality of the products and caused constant rework and frustration amongst engineers. Middle management is unable to make any changes for fix the solutions. Upper management is clueless and out of touch with what is going on. Engineers and employees in general are treated as "bodies" without regard to the specific skillsets. Management promises customers things that they can't meet with current staffing. Corners consistently get cut to meet schedule at the expense of quality.
    Mediocre engineers often get turned into managers, resulting in disasters later.
    Talented engineers usually get frustrated enough and leave the company, or simply give up and stop caring all-together. The general attitude and culture is negative or "dont-care", and can be toxic, frustrating and counter-productive.

Get a clue. If you want to keep talented engineers to produce better products, especially in a city like Cedar Rapids Iowa, consider making this company worth staying at. In this improving economy, the grass will always be greener outside of Rockwell Collins, and people eventually figure that out and leave.
    Rockwell Collins is a great company to start out at and gain some experience, but for those engineers who want to love their job and work hard because they enjoy that, this is not the place to be.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ok to work here for sometime

Cons

You will not develop as a software engineer here.

Loved the work but company moved out of the business

Former Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with talented people.
    Engineering focus.

Cons

Little room for innovation.
    Very conservative about technology.

Innovation can happen here

Great people to work with

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everybody is very friendly and willing to work with you to get the job done. Great online university through the company that helps better you as a person and makes you a more valuable asset for the company.

Cons

Manufacturing floor seems outdated and could use some capital investment. I still see a lot of "fire fighting" when it comes to engineer work but I've seen that industry wide.

Update facilities, If you bring in new technologies and modern devices that the newer generation is using in school and at home, you will see an increase in the amount of people that want to work for you and the quality of the people that want to work for you.

Great Company

Former Employee - Material Handler  in  Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun place to work. Had to move to another town or I'd have stayed there.

Cons

None. Overall it was a good experience.

None

Small-minded middle management just gets in the way

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a large company, so odds are pretty good that there's a project somewhere you'll find interesting. And they've got some really good talent operating there. I came away with some great friends, and a few stories that are fun to tell now that I'm not there.

Cons

Mostly, it's suffering from growing too big. I worked with no less than 5 project managers who started meetings by asking what everyone was working on. Not what their status was, literally didn't bother to prepare enough to know what project the meeting was for. I had one manager that was misusing company funds to perform work that wasn't approved, and for some reason the whole team was given a bad perf review for that. And another that actually threatened to hit me with his car if I didn't sign off on a proposal.

Don't expect to be working with the latest technology, the primary customers are military and aviation and they go for proven reliability over improved performance. I'd say something about office politics, but honestly it wasn't worse here than anywhere else and I never felt like there was much of an old-boy network in place.

I know we can't get away from kingdom building, but If I have to have 4 project managers at a time, either try to recruit some that have some technical knowledge or create some decent system for employees to report gross ineptitude or abuses up the line.

All depends on your manager..

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities to work on electronics installed in the world's leading fighter and military aircraft.
    Challenging military requirements

Cons

Defense contracting is up and down and layoffs are part of the territory

Remember your employees are people, don't treat them like machines. When they give you 10 extra hours of their personal time, give them 10 minutes of your time to find out what the problems are that require the extra time. Instead of just accepting it as the new standard.

High tech operation.

Current Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Challenging work. Good work/life balance. Fair compensation package overall. Honesty and integrity are highly valued. Technologies are advancing, offering new work opportunities.

Cons

Insurance costs much more than prior years, negating raises. Stagnant work force; need new grads. Certain programs are at risk of loss to other, lower-cost companies.

Commit to your people and do as you say regarding employment opportunities, promotions, etc..

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!