Rockwell Collins

Updated Nov 7, 2013

Kelly Ortberg

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company to work for

Principal Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTakes care of the employees
Stable company to work for
Good compensation if you do really well

ConsBig corporation atmosphere
Sometimes you can get lost in the big company
Lots of bureaucracy

IGNORANT PLACE TO WORK

Melbourne, FL

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for less than a year

ProsJUST THE EMPLOYEE JOB BENEFITS

ConsTo start off, I didn't pass assembly school which was soldering, I never in my life soldered before I didn't even know what was involved, so I didn't pass the test only by about 4 mistakes and they let me go, so I was lied to by the lady there she told me to reapply when the position opens back up this was in 2011, I have applied there to many positions that I qualify for since than, I now am an excellent solderer and and IPC certified and training as an engineer technician with another company, I have worked in electronics since they let me go and that's how I got the experience.
Im graduating with a bachelor of science in computer science next year.

This is an ignorant and stupid company due to me not passing the test the first time I just found out I'm not eligible for rehire, so that's it no second chance what so ever. I'm sure people have not passed it the first time and afterwards picked up the skills needed like I have excelled beyond, this company needs people like me for the future, young, motivated and talented. But to be honest I wouldn't want to work for an A****** company like this that won't even consider new skills, I wish them nothing but failure,I hope they fail and that other companies are kicking their A** because what goes around comes around.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP BEING SO STUCK UP AND IGNORNAT A*******, YOU GIVE A PERSON A SOLDERING TEST AND LET THEM GO JUST BECAUSE THEY DON'T PASS SOMETHING THEY NEVER DID IN THEIR LIFE, THAN YOU BAN THEM AND THEY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO BE REHIRED JUST DUE TO THAT REASON.

Former contract employee

Melbourne, FL

I worked at Rockwell Collins as a contractor for more than a year

Prosfree parking, coffee and donuts.

Consextremely poor culture/management with no backbone - only care about the numbers
policies and procedures are laughable because very little is enforced
very frustrating for contractors to work alongside full-time employees who abuse cell phone use, apparently its permissible if they are good friends with a lead or supervisor.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to employees who do give a sh*t!
can the dead weight that keeps good contract workers from getting hired!
do the right thing by hiring hard working contract workers and stop playing games.

Poor leadership

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis company is a leader in avionics. It has a wealth of knowledge as well as very capable engineers working here. The avionics are high quality and reliable.

ConsProjects are poorly managed and bid. It would seem that when every project slips schedule and runs over budget that the bidding process needs revision. Poor planning becomes the burden of the employee.

The review system is set up to be easy to rate employees down, not up. The common theme was a person's 'perception' rather than work output. You can see this radiating from upper management in the Melbourne location.

~3% raise is the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on positive reinforcement of your employees rather than breathing down their neck asking daily when they will be done. A simple 'thank you,' or 'good job,' goes a long way toward not creating such a negative environment.

Create realistic project deadlines and quit allowing scope creep every time a customer bats an eye.

Good people, great benefits

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people, great benefits, interesting projects and products in exciting industries such as aviation and military. Opportunities to work in a number of locations.

ConsSalaries are seemingly low. Advancement is slow and bogged down by policies. Company strategy also at times is overly conservative, leading to loss of contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up the strategy - be more willing to invest in new technologies and markets without guaranteed return up front. Recognize up and coming employees for their accomplishments.

Where is the future at Rockwell Collins?

Senior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHealth benefits with HMO is best in class. Coworkers are great people to work with. Interesting work with aviation products. Ability to move up through roles.

ConsBecoming just another place to work for. No incentive to keep younger employees. Reducing 401k match and vacation accrual policy. Overall the company has had 5 layoffs in the last year.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour younger generation is leaving because they are not being paid what your competitors are. You are not showing them that you have a commitment to growing through your youth. What happens when all the 40_ year olds are laid off or retire?

It's a good company...

Assembler (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than a year

ProsThey go their way out to retain you as an employee so lay offs are not frequent unlike other companies.

ConsIt's hard to go up if you make a mistake.

Can't figure why this company has any customers

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAs another reviewer said, free parking.

ConsThey will preach ethics to you until you choke, then routinely pressure you to falsify data, mislead customers and overlook non-compliance with company policy and government regulations. A very abusive environment for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your act. Eventually, you're going to get caught.

A Great to get started

Production Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat leadership development program and focus on applying Lean Manufacturing concepts. Open door policy and access to upper managment unequal.

ConsEmployees feel entitled and spoiled. Many are willing to lie to get their way. The Ombudsmen process gets abused because employees are not trained to use it properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue down the path toward employee engagement, but focus on encouraging employees to develop personal accountability. Many don't believe they should be held accountable for their actions.

Very Frustrating Place to Work: Long hours, low pay, no management support, with little chance of advancement.

I worked at Rockwell Collins

ProsThe benefits and co-workers are the best.

ConsMid level Management competancy, lack of communication, and slow corrective/preventive action, nepotism, no support of any kind from other areas. LOW PAY! Virtually No chance of advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting/ Hiring relatives, stop promoting interns to department heads, they don't have any experience. More accountability in all areas, but espeacially in engineering.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!

Rockwell Collins Videos

Rockwell Collins – Why Work for Us?

Big thinking. Big network. Big possibilities. Why does that describe working at Rockwell Collins? Because the first moon transmission was our achievement. So was the development of GPS. What about networked battlespaces… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockwell Collins reviews and ratings in Melbourne, FL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rockwell Collins CEO Kelly Ortberg. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Rockwell Collins employees.