Rockwell Collins

www.rockwellcollins.com

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance(in 46 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time)(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees(in 65 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs(in 17 reviews)

Loved the work but company moved out of the business

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsWorking with talented people.
    Engineering focus.

ConsLittle room for innovation.
    Very conservative about technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation can happen here

Great Company

Material Handler (Former Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsFun place to work. Had to move to another town or I'd have stayed there.

ConsNone. Overall it was a good experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

great experience so far

ProsThe work style here is casual. And the teammates are willing to help. The managers are nice over here.

ConsThe process here are sometimes over complicated. You spend too much time just to do little change.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The largest company that you've never heard of.

ProsThe amazing benefits are excellent

ConsThe bureaucracy and red tape that have to be navigated to accomplish anything

Great place to work, management is less than desirable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and pay. Low stress.

ConsOld boys network - there are people in leadership positions that shouldn't be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out PMs that are not performing.

Employment at Rockwell Collins, Inc.

Senior Customer Service Engineer (Current Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsGood Benefits, Basic Compensation and Bonuses.

ConsNo personal/professional growth. If you work outside of Cedar Rapids, IA or for a RC subsidiary career progression is none existent. You are treated like "temp" employees.

Highly structured environment

ProsOpportunities to participate on cross-functional teams and projects enterprise-wide.

ConsStructured much like the military, a key client. Layers of bureaucracy, focus on rank, moves very slowly on employee initiatives, lots of self-aggrandizement at the higher levels, promotions based more on time in rank and "who you know" than performance.

High tech operation.

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsChallenging work. Good work/life balance. Fair compensation package overall. Honesty and integrity are highly valued. Technologies are advancing, offering new work opportunities.

ConsInsurance costs much more than prior years, negating raises. Stagnant work force; need new grads. Certain programs are at risk of loss to other, lower-cost companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit to your people and do as you say regarding employment opportunities, promotions, etc..

All depends on your manager..

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsOpportunities to work on electronics installed in the world's leading fighter and military aircraft.
    Challenging military requirements

ConsDefense contracting is up and down and layoffs are part of the territory

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your employees are people, don't treat them like machines. When they give you 10 extra hours of their personal time, give them 10 minutes of your time to find out what the problems are that require the extra time. Instead of just accepting it as the new standard.

Five years of experience at Rockwell Collins...

Senior Training Specialist (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros- A leader in the industry
    - Strong history
    - Continuing to build, expand world-wide
    - Dedicated financial resources to innovation/research-development
    - Global company
    - Multi-business diversity (Ex. Government, Commercial, Service)
    - Community - easy to get around, good education systems, low cost of living

Cons- If you are not from an engineering or IT background, career advancement & development is limited
    - Somewhat reliant upon government contracts, that has caused financial stress in years past
    - Midwest/Iowa based headquarters, not favored by those not native to cold winters & rural environments etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more educational & development opportunities outside of engineering focus.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!