Rockwell Collins

www.rockwellcollins.com

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance(in 46 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time)(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees(in 65 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs(in 17 reviews)

Horrible working for them in Kuwait.

Satcom Engineering (Current Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsNothing that I can think of.

ConsTrying to stay ahead because of the low over sea salary that they pay us.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of the hard working employees before they consider themselves

Abusive Politically Charged Environment w/Inept & Vicious Management

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Tustin, CA

ProsEngineering team lovely, decent coworkers. The culture is highly professional but tainted with the viciousness of the administrative staff and their manager.

ConsMiddle & senior management turn blind eye to low level managers that inflict abuse & manage by bullying. Administrative staff report to small minded & vicious manager that demonstrates partiality to pets & has created smoke screen to disguise inept ability. Exemplary work ethic nor outstanding caliber of work make any difference should you defend yourself against false accusations or bullying. Admins BEWARE. If you can take abuse & vicious females who are allowed to wield their power over everyone, you may be able to survive. If you do not tolerate high level stress & abuse then this is not the environment for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake action to eliminate inept management team that show no regard for employees that are forced to tolerate this toxic, unhealthy & unprofessional work environment! Make it politically "correct" to defend employees against false allegations & bullying! Admins should report directly to management they are supporting NOT a low level manager that is inept. Senior Admins that report to Senior Directors should be stripped of their power and educated on interpersonal skills & taught the true definition of a harmonious team environment.

Most Corrupt Management in Industry

Senior Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) Warrenton, VA

ProsIf you are female, you can get away with murder.

ConsIf you did not start out at Athena Technologies, you might as well be dead.
    There is no work on the books and few prospects
    All the best and most talented people have left
    Only the hangers-on from Athena are left and they are just there to bilk the mothership
    Technology is aging and not being refreshed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your dead wood and part time managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mixed

ProsGreat opportunities if you want to work in Cedar Rapids, IA

ConsPoor opportunities and poor potential for growth at any of the remote locations in the U.S.

Un-trustworthy upper management

ProsGood Benefits

Only work for this company as a last resort because you need a job. Use it as an experience builder while you look for better employment with a company that actually knows what it is doing within the satellite communications industry.

ConsUpper management is not straight with employees bordering on incompetent within certain divisions of the company especially satellite communications. Inefficient operating procedures company wide.

Pay is extraordinarily non competitive resulting in a high turnover rate, dissatisfaction with the company, and constant low morale for traveling and employees assigned to work overseas. No further employment opportunities within the division other than working overseas.

Most Ethical? I hope not!

ProsGenerous time off for a private company. That's it.

ConsUnethical business practices, lack of leadership support for programs, leadership doesn't seem to care that our buildings are unsafe, there's no fire alarm syst at my place. No recognition for hard work and good ol' boys are promoted based upon who they know or sleep with. Buildings are old, dirty and poorly kept. I can't believe the company has been awarded a "most ethical" prize two years in a row.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending to care about ethics and your employees - put your money where your mouth is. You've managed to bamboozle some outside groups, but you're not fooling your employees.

terrible experience last 2 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossmall pockets of success may make work enjoyable

Conscorporate in-bread culture from central Iowa, very little outside view points or experience; myoptic

Not the job for anyone with a long-term career in mind.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work is interesting and fun. Benefits and pay seem to be competitive.

ConsThe volume of work is all too inconsistent and lead to annual layoff season around late November. Even long established employees that played key roles were fair game. Prepare for lots of survivors guilt, low morale, and keep your resume current for what is almost inevitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis could be a great place to work and even retire with. Fix the revolving door for the people that actually make the company money.

Do not accept a position at Rockwell Collins. Flip burgers, do ANYTHING but work here

Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsWell, it's a paycheck, benefits aren't horrible.

ConsRockwell Collins is a toxic work environment. It requires a very special kind of self hatred to actually like working in this place. There is only two valid reasons I can come up with why anyone would want to work here. You want to live in Iowa and you're an engineer. Cause there's not many other places to work except RC if you're an electrical engineer in Eastern Iowa.

80% of your time as an EE will be spent doing paperwork and if you're lucky, the other 20% might involve some design work, that's if you are VERY lucky.

The technology is outdated (think 1990s), the management is outdated (think 1980s), the company infrastructure is WAY outdated (think dial up internet; except dial up would be faster).

Rockwell brags about it's 'technology'. Truth is it's 7-10 years behind the technology curve that the rest of the world works in. You'll be working on old old stuff, especially if you're a software engineer. DO NOT COME HERE IF YOU ARE A SW ENGINEER. EVER. Deliver pizzas if you have to. Just don't come to Rockwell. Think 5 inch floppy drives. Yep. That's right.

If you like BS paperwork, you might fit in. Try DOORS, Microsoft Project, Subversion, Clear Quest, Clear Case, PREP, SAP, for starters. How about Lotus Notes for your e mail? And how about no SPICE simulation tool? How about no Sigrity, no HFSS, no net constrait tool, the crappiest layout tool you will ever see (Zuken CR5000). Would you like to spend most of your career linking requirements in DOORS? Well, maybe this place would be for you...but I doubt it.

Most of the engineers I worked with fit into several categories. Some want to live in Iowa and like RC, some have no marketable skills to offer any other employer and they are literally stuck at RC and don't like it, and the retired in place people whose only wish is to last long enough to get enough points to qualify for retirement. All versions are mediocre engineers. There are a few bright spots, but usually they leave for greener pastures. If you are eager to learn and grow your career, these engineers are not the ones you want to work with. You will learn NOTHING except the Rockwell process, good for only one thing; working at Rockwell. Trust me.

Now as for 'moving up the ladder' in engineering? Forget it. Only path up is management, usually program management. You'll spend 15 years toiling away as a grunt engineer before you are even considered for a promotion to principle. Yeah, 15 long years. And most admins get treated FAR better than grunt engineer types. Why? Supply and demand. Think about it. 1 place to work in Cedar as an engineer, 100 places to work as an admin. Supply and demand. They are comfortable hiring engineers to do admin work because it's so difficult to find admins to work at Rockwell, no lie friend.

My advice: there are so many other real companies in the country, even other avionics places, where you'll do far better than working at this dismal, depressing, soul crushing company. You have been warned. If you do choose to join, plan on 1 year then getting the heck out. You have to stay 1 year to not have to pay back the moving and bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement you know what the problems are, and you know how to fix them but you don't because that would be too 'risky'. Grow a pair Kelly, get this thing sorted out before the company is sold for scrap because that's about all you'll have left over if you don't turn this ship around and fast.

Same stuff, different day

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsKeep your head down and don't rock the boat and you can work your 40 hours for 40 years with no problem

ConsAll changes are driven from top management. Even when employees give feedback, top management puts their spin on it to make it what they want it to be. Then, when good engineers leave, they scratch their head wondering what happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit asking for feedback if you are just going to do what you want to do anyway.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!