Rockwell Collins

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • work life balance, upper management focused on improving things for employees (in 54 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 73 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Principal Subcontract Program Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Principal Subcontract Program Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance career in any role, great Values, tenured employees (Lifers) to learn from, Best Aviation Company

Cons

Benefits are up to standard, but Compensation lags, Better get it through negotiations before you start, the Formal Mentoring tools are unused and needs to be scrapped; if you need good mentoring, do so by seeking individuals out and requesting directly, Great Senior Leadership team, but most of the Entry and Mid Level Leadership have no Leadership skills when it comes to mentoring and empowering team

Work on empowering individual contributors by accountability metrics for Entry-Level and Mid-Level Managers. The Company has great potentials to unleash energy, but the Mid and entry Level Leadership needs serious reform, otherwise you loose the talents you so seek to develop

Great company to work for overall

Current Employee - Engineering in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with lots of room to grow for advancement in different career fields. Great place to gain experience at all career levels.

Cons

Company seems to be overly managed in many areas. Manager to employee ratio is higher than what is typically seen at other companies, which at times they seem not to be on the same page in providing direction or goals that are consistent.

Great company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Relaxed, easy going
    -Cool programs
    -Great community
    -Understanding management

Cons

-Rockwell has a lot of different programs, some are better then others. I worked on a huge program (100+ engineers, huuge govn't contract) and it was poorly manage. I've worked on several programs since, all have been much better
    -Management not very good at career development.
    -Medical/Dental coverage has become more costly and not as good in the past 5 years

Management needs to work closer with engineers to determine career paths and basically how to make more money / figure out where you want to be in 10 years. I've always worked on the government side, so it seems like management is mostly concerned with meeting deadlines (i.e. the short term picture).

Lost the luster

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Nice coworkers,ample time off good working conditions

Cons

Leadership has lost its way

Major shakeup needed

Good benefits, difficult upward mobility

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time

Pros

Benefits and work atmosphere. Education reimbursement program.

Cons

Repetitive engineering work, only a choice few got chances to design new products. Raises were not even consistent with cost of living.

Keep up the good work!

Not really standing for quality.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very friendly people work here. Most of my best friends are people I've worked with.

Cons

Rockwell Collins has Incompetent Managment. There are constant constant reorgs. Very difficult to stay on one project for very long once you start getting bounced around. Pressure to work over 40 hour weeks without overtime compensation.

Good place to work for an experienced engineer

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you're competent, then job security is good. Total compensation is pretty good. I've enjoyed many of the programs I've worked on and people I've worked with but there have been a couple of times I just wanted out. Luckily, RC is a fairly large company and lateral moves are fairly easy. For the most part, management does want to keep the employee happy and is willing to move people.

Cons

For me, there's too many people not concerned enough about quality during a design and development program. And there's your typical 10% that are apathetic and are just here for the paycheck. RC is fairly good, though, and identifying them and they are the first to go during RIFs, of which there have only been a few in the last 10 years. There's a big shift going on right now in the engineering tools RC uses for things like change management and requirements management. The new tools are web-centric and "collaborative" but sometimes we're on the edge of chaos when too programs are moved too quickly.

Summer Intern |S|AP BW 2014

Former Employee - Graduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Graduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent leadership, very encouraging environment. Team-members love to help you out. My direct Manager and the above him were both really helpful and patient. They make sure to provide you with enough training and support so that you can perform successfully.

Cons

Slow growth as compared to other companies
    The work pace is very slow

Excellent office culture. They shouldn't change it. More SAP led training should be provided

Beware of old school mentality

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Short term work good benefits

Cons

This is an old established company. It is run like a old family business . There are insiders and outsiders. The insiders will have jobs for life, the are from Iowa primarily and have long family employment at RC . If you graduated from UofI then you may become one. Otherwise you are treated like horse chutle . You get laid off every 4 to 5 years no real raise and no promotion .

Get more outside help , you've grown stale and the world has passed you by.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to learn and grow for engineers

Cons

Location - Cedar Rapids may not attract people to stay long term