Rockwell Collins Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

50 -60 hours work weeks required, no balance of life.

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

- New exec jet - Free Parking - Easy commute to work

Cons

- HR and management is very bad - Required 50-60 hour work weeks - No job security, your manager has all the power - Poor pay

Advice to Management

Clean house in HR and engineering management. Get rid of the good old boys network. It is really getting old. HR needs a major reform. It has been rank low in employees surveys for years, but no action has been taken.

Nothing to say

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Nothing There is really nothing good. Afew fun people to work with but no career

Cons

Bad Weather, No promotions raises or bounus

Advice to Management

Make this a carreer not a deadend place to work

no career development

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Free food during extra work hours Recreation center

Cons

management not providing opportunities to advance career. low salary increments. cold winters extra work hours with no recognition not many opportunities for engineers in Iowa

Advice to Management

improve the morale of employees. People are leaving. Try to retain your employees.

Just ok, good vacation, not much else

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Tustin, CA

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Great vacation. Holiday shutdown, and fifteen vacation days up front after you work your 30 days probation period. Can't beat that!

Cons

You'll run into some interesting characters here. Definitely some backstabbers. Some managers have it in for you and you will never get promoted. Might even get laid off. Until the economy improves and people are flying private jets, not the place to work. Standard benefits, with the exception of vacation being very good. Nothing cutting edge.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites. Go on technical skills, not on how well you can BS. Maybe you will actually make money as a company.

Not a great place to work but during hard economic times who has a choice

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Most people are on site and the people are fairly friendly. They have some good social events. Decent work equipment

Cons

Long hours 6AM meetings Pay is not good Contractors are treated bad Management has no clue what is going on

Advice to Management

I would recommend management be retrained or let go Good old boy network is killing this company Bottom line focus

Rethink your decision twice before accepting an offer here

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

You get to live in a place where parking is free, you never pay any parking fees in any commercial or residential areas. The relocation benefits offered are often good enough to lure you into this hell.

Cons

Poor management. Pathetic HR, please change the name of HR to MG (Management's Guards) Unprofessional behavior goes unchecked If you are a person of color, you will face challenges at work and outside... look forward to faces in the grocery-stores and car-mechanic shops. You will be blamed for small and big things. If you are a person of color and take pride in your work, look elsewhere. Diversity here is a sham. It is a fake lip-service. It is a dead-end for careers... you will be lost in a black hole with no future. Most young people leave within 4-5 yrs as this place is not for young Engineers. Find employment on the coasts, build a career and move to Cedar Rapids in your 40's. Till then, don't wish for a punishment like this.

Advice to Management

Please understand that your job is to facilitate, not to scape-goat a foot-soldier every time your unreasonable goals are not met. Lean thinking is when you reward the players who automate and reduce work. I have seen enough incidences where talented engineers are punished for reducing or eliminating work through better solutions and automation. You need to show the number of people reporting to you and find pride in that, you are not smart enough to identify the savings you bring to the enterprise through automation. Hence you hire the C-grade Engineers who fail to google for a simple answer before they make a fuss about things. It is a demoralizing environment for talented Engineers.

Unhappy place to work

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Sweet people as co-workers 401K match, hope its not the next benefit they cut free parking if there are any spots left within the one-mile radius of the site

Cons

Demoralizing environment. Middle management is doing everything possible to save their positions, including shielding the real problems from the upper management, hiring a lot of below average engineers, supporting the defensive PEs who would manipulate any report to make the manager look good, etc. The talented engineers are punished for speaking up or reporting issues... are often treated like whistle-blowers in a war situation... reprimanded for trying to make things better. A highly political environment. Lean is used as a good buzz word... but, middle managers use that word as a punishment to the good engineers to reject their vacation requests or travels to seminars and workshops. Lean is used as a punishment to the folks who actually think and work towards lean solutions.

Advice to Management

Educate yourself on how to keep employees motivated and reduce some politics in favor of open environment. Clay, your management is losing credibility... what you preach is not reaching the ears of middle management. PEs, TPMs and their project plans are a big joke. Want Lean? Start with your ability to plan.... most of them don't plan. Instead, they torture the Engineers to meet their ridiculous deadlines.

just another aerospace company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

good 401k match able to move horizontally throughout different areas of the company good work ethic by employees for the most part

Cons

mediocre training (at best) management is COMPLETELY an old boys network the iowa mothership tends to be unfriendly and unrealistically demanding co workers are not very computer savvy or intelligent for that matter

Advice to Management

good place to work for 2-3 years to get a big name on your resume. then leave to a better company with more upward potential

Changing times, depreciating manners.

Current Employee - Engineering Project Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Engineering Project Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Benefits 401K A desk, a chair and a computer with monitor. Privacy and peace are too much to ask for. (Cubes are shared by EPS and interns, expect click-clack from your neighbor all day.)

Cons

Bad weather that makes you depressed for at least 6 months every year. Lot to say about HR... but, this little comment I read elsewhere gives an excellent count on HR at the company: This is the HR of the new millenium. However, HR is a misnomer, especially in a down economy. True "Human Resources" is dead. It is now Corporate Resources or "CR". In effect, the human or employee element is reduced to "can I fill the role I am hiring for when I want you." No communication, no negotiating, just be at my beck and call on my (company's) schedule, not your own. We don't take calls, we make very few calls, we don't answer questions, we don't protect the rights of employees, or potential new hires, we merely recruit. We recruit when told, we fire when told, and spend as little of the company's money as possible in the process. The resources part is outsourced to some other Asia-based location, or in some cases watered-down to a handbook that is updated regularly and supplied to you on an automated scheduled email. HR is a coin-op machine in the lobby. Look for every opportunity to circumvent HR when you can. My deepest sympathies to anyone that needs to communicate with HR, because I'd rather have a root canal. Senior leadership is not in touch with the ground realities. Voice of Employee is not being taken seriously. many middle managers are damaging the environment with their selfish agendas (They are experts of sleeping through problems and finding scapegoats). INACTION is NOT LEADERSHIP. POSTMORTEM is NOT LEADERSHIP. FAULT-FINDING is NOT LEADERSHIP. TACTICAL MICROMANAGEMENT is NOT LEADERSHIP. Unfortunately, all the managers I worked with here in the company fail to act, find faults 'after the failure', fail to take responsibility for the results of their micromanagement and basically drive employees out.

Advice to Management

Close the HR department. They are a big waste of company's money... hire recruiters... and call them recruiters. With great power comes great responsibility, try to live up to it and stand up to the challenges. Management stopped trying and went into a default "Saving my a** everyday" mode. Your jobs are meaningless when you fail to deliver "leadership". Senior management needs to be tough on the middle management. Too much of "Saving my a**" leads to poor employee morale... I hope you are seeing it.

A Company on the Decline due to Management and Human Resources

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

- Free Parking - Rec Center (not free) - Fast commutes - Small city, but it has been dying quickly due to the floods in 2008.

Cons

- Company is on a down turn, loses contracts to other companies like Garmin. - Not a great location. Pretty boring town. - Human Resources is pretty much live in their own world and out of touch with the rest of the company. - Upper management gave themselves golden parachutes while cutting benefits right and left. - Did not meet their diveristy quota last year, so they are taking their foreign contractors (which they pay less) and getting them their green cards. Alot of the really good engineers have been leaving due to managements miscues and HRs fire anybody for no reason. - Lean is used to blame the engineering staff. - Re-orgs every a couple weeks (sign of weak leadership) - Upper leadership are just collecting thier paychecks, stock options, perks, while making poor business decisions. Hmmm, lets move people into a flood zone just for a tax break. - The Board of Directors is not independent. The CEO should not be the Chairperson of the board also.

Advice to Management

You are losing engineers right and left due to your own poor decisions. Human Resources needs to be revamped. The CEO makes poor decision on his choices for senior leadership positions.

RSS Feed </> Embed