Rockwell Collins

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.3

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • work life balance, upper management focused on improving things for employees (in 54 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 73 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

terrible experience last 2 years

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time

Pros

small pockets of success may make work enjoyable

Cons

corporate in-bread culture from central Iowa, very little outside view points or experience; myoptic

Not the job for anyone with a long-term career in mind.

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is interesting and fun. Benefits and pay seem to be competitive.

Cons

The volume of work is all too inconsistent and lead to annual layoff season around late November. Even long established employees that played key roles were fair game. Prepare for lots of survivors guilt, low morale, and keep your resume current for what is almost inevitable.

This could be a great place to work and even retire with. Fix the revolving door for the people that actually make the company money.

Do not accept a position at Rockwell Collins. Flip burgers, do ANYTHING but work here

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well, it's a paycheck, benefits aren't horrible.

Cons

Rockwell Collins is a toxic work environment. It requires a very special kind of self hatred to actually like working in this place. There is only two valid reasons I can come up with why anyone would want to work here. You want to live in Iowa and you're an engineer. Cause there's not many other places to work except RC if you're an electrical engineer in Eastern Iowa.

80% of your time as an EE will be spent doing paperwork and if you're lucky, the other 20% might involve some design work, that's if you are VERY lucky.

The technology is outdated (think 1990s), the management is outdated (think 1980s), the company infrastructure is WAY outdated (think dial up internet; except dial up would be faster).

Rockwell brags about it's 'technology'. Truth is it's 7-10 years behind the technology curve that the rest of the world works in. You'll be working on old old stuff, especially if you're a software engineer. DO NOT COME HERE IF YOU ARE A SW ENGINEER. EVER. Deliver pizzas if you have to. Just don't come to Rockwell. Think 5 inch floppy drives. Yep. That's right.

If you like BS paperwork, you might fit in. Try DOORS, Microsoft Project, Subversion, Clear Quest, Clear Case, PREP, SAP, for starters. How about Lotus Notes for your e mail? And how about no SPICE simulation tool? How about no Sigrity, no HFSS, no net constrait tool, the crappiest layout tool you will ever see (Zuken CR5000). Would you like to spend most of your career linking requirements in DOORS? Well, maybe this place would be for you...but I doubt it.

Most of the engineers I worked with fit into several categories. Some want to live in Iowa and like RC, some have no marketable skills to offer any other employer and they are literally stuck at RC and don't like it, and the retired in place people whose only wish is to last long enough to get enough points to qualify for retirement. All versions are mediocre engineers. There are a few bright spots, but usually they leave for greener pastures. If you are eager to learn and grow your career, these engineers are not the ones you want to work with. You will learn NOTHING except the Rockwell process, good for only one thing; working at Rockwell. Trust me.

Now as for 'moving up the ladder' in engineering? Forget it. Only path up is management, usually program management. You'll spend 15 years toiling away as a grunt engineer before you are even considered for a promotion to principle. Yeah, 15 long years. And most admins get treated FAR better than grunt engineer types. Why? Supply and demand. Think about it. 1 place to work in Cedar as an engineer, 100 places to work as an admin. Supply and demand. They are comfortable hiring engineers to do admin work because it's so difficult to find admins to work at Rockwell, no lie friend.

My advice: there are so many other real companies in the country, even other avionics places, where you'll do far better than working at this dismal, depressing, soul crushing company. You have been warned. If you do choose to join, plan on 1 year then getting the heck out. You have to stay 1 year to not have to pay back the moving and bonuses.

Management you know what the problems are, and you know how to fix them but you don't because that would be too 'risky'. Grow a pair Kelly, get this thing sorted out before the company is sold for scrap because that's about all you'll have left over if you don't turn this ship around and fast.

Same stuff, different day

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Keep your head down and don't rock the boat and you can work your 40 hours for 40 years with no problem

Cons

All changes are driven from top management. Even when employees give feedback, top management puts their spin on it to make it what they want it to be. Then, when good engineers leave, they scratch their head wondering what happened.

Quit asking for feedback if you are just going to do what you want to do anyway.

top heavy limited mgmt engagement

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

holiday shutdown time off is ok
    I cannot think of other pros as the company kept shuffling department heads every year

Cons

everything else basically
    limited upward mobility
    reviews based on friendship with management not actual perofrmance
    good ol boy system for senior management
    bait and switch frequently to bring people to Iowa from across country

avoid....

Former Employee - Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than a year)

Pros

time off in winter, good pay for city size

Cons

expectations never set so performance impossible to achieve unless you are friend of manager, management carousel within departments provided no continuity, guidance, or defined plan. Benefits well below average for industry, good ol boy system sets who is shielded from work and who is set up to fail. Bait and switch to bring in people from around country and then change roles to fit newest idea for projects without regard for skill sets original hired to use. Training is a joke.

retire....

The destruction of a once great company to work for.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Duluth, GA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee Comradery is as good as most companies.

Cons

Majority Government business. Poor Senior Management

Understand Division Capabilities. Put more focus on employee experience and capabilities vs Ethinic background and Diversity.

Very let down by management styles

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Had good benefits and salaries

Cons

No longer has good benefits. Management tends to be retroactive and likes to find a fall person when things go wrong

You are all one company no matter what. Solve problems as a team with your subordinates instead of escalating to the next level to cover yourself.

IGNORANT PLACE TO WORK

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (less than a year)

Pros

JUST THE EMPLOYEE JOB BENEFITS

Cons

To start off, I didn't pass assembly school which was soldering, I never in my life soldered before I didn't even know what was involved, so I didn't pass the test only by about 4 mistakes and they let me go, so I was lied to by the lady there she told me to reapply when the position opens back up this was in 2011, I have applied there to many positions that I qualify for since than, I now am an excellent solderer and and IPC certified and training as an engineer technician with another company, I have worked in electronics since they let me go and that's how I got the experience.
    Im graduating with a bachelor of science in computer science next year.

This is an ignorant and stupid company due to me not passing the test the first time I just found out I'm not eligible for rehire, so that's it no second chance what so ever. I'm sure people have not passed it the first time and afterwards picked up the skills needed like I have excelled beyond, this company needs people like me for the future, young, motivated and talented. But to be honest I wouldn't want to work for an A****** company like this that won't even consider new skills, I wish them nothing but failure,I hope they fail and that other companies are kicking their A** because what goes around comes around.

STOP BEING SO STUCK UP AND IGNORNAT A*******, YOU GIVE A PERSON A SOLDERING TEST AND LET THEM GO JUST BECAUSE THEY DON'T PASS SOMETHING THEY NEVER DID IN THEIR LIFE, THAN YOU BAN THEM AND THEY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO BE REHIRED JUST DUE TO THAT REASON.

Unethical Company

Former Employee - Principal Engineering Manager in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Principal Engineering Manager in Richardson, TX

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flex time, Ipp and decent salary. Like my first boss

Cons

Yearly ratings are top directed. Doesn't matter what you did if they need some "1"s they at Diector level force you to thin the herd. Very unethical actions on the part of senior leadership. Don't be old or a person of color if you want a full career