Rockwell Collins

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
3.2

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 65 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Avionics Company

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Ability to relocate to various facilities

Cons

Inadequate training for junior engineers

A whole lot of back stabbing!

Former Employee - Conformal Coater, Was Hired to BE An Electral-mechanical Technician  in  Wilsonville, OR
    Former Employee - Conformal Coater, Was Hired to BE An Electral-mechanical Technician in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a cafeteria!

Cons

The lead person has been making a serious mistake for over 15 years. She got pissed when i went over her head and had an engineer look at the problem. They immediately farmed out that circuit board to be worked on outside if this company. They also pulled 98 airplanes out of the air to fix the problem. I was wrongfully discharged when I got sick from working with and breathing toxic chemicals. I will deal with breathing issues the rest of my life because of it. But she still has a job.

Don’t put your employees at risk with bad ventilation with toxic chemicals. Amazing how you moved the chemical station and bought new ventilation when I had to go to the Emergency room. If someone is coughing and coughing give them something else to do so they can breathe clearly again. When there is a question on conformal coating that doesn't match the drawing. Listen to the employee. Stop trying to cover up mistakes that she excused as tribal knowledge.

Room to improve

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Midwest work ethic is a pro.

Cons

Difficulty breaking through organizational silos to work effectively. More focused on short term.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre now, used to be great

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Rockwell Collins is large enough to offer opportunities to move around within the company.
    Cedar Rapids is a great place to raise a family. It is calm and safe, and the people are really nice.
    Cost of living in Iowa is low, so even with a salary lower than the national average, it is better than a higher salary elsewhere.
    There are some really cool projects and programs within the company, with cutting-edge technology.

Cons

RC has been declining in multiple aspects. Competitiveness, quality, culture, work-ethic, benefits, you name it.
    Benefits have been getting getting dramatically worse over the past 5 years, worse healthcare, declining 401K matching. Outsourcing has hurt the quality of the products and caused constant rework and frustration amongst engineers. Middle management is unable to make any changes for fix the solutions. Upper management is clueless and out of touch with what is going on. Engineers and employees in general are treated as "bodies" without regard to the specific skillsets. Management promises customers things that they can't meet with current staffing. Corners consistently get cut to meet schedule at the expense of quality.
    Mediocre engineers often get turned into managers, resulting in disasters later.
    Talented engineers usually get frustrated enough and leave the company, or simply give up and stop caring all-together. The general attitude and culture is negative or "dont-care", and can be toxic, frustrating and counter-productive.

Get a clue. If you want to keep talented engineers to produce better products, especially in a city like Cedar Rapids Iowa, consider making this company worth staying at. In this improving economy, the grass will always be greener outside of Rockwell Collins, and people eventually figure that out and leave.
    Rockwell Collins is a great company to start out at and gain some experience, but for those engineers who want to love their job and work hard because they enjoy that, this is not the place to be.

Working at Rockwell Collins is absolutely wonderful. For anyone entering the financial and accounting world, recommend.

Current Employee - Finance Rotate  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Finance Rotate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive networking, company wants to build you from ground up, lots of promotions and moveability

Cons

Cedar Rapids is a growing city, but may be small for someone who is from a bigger city.

Pretty Decent Place to Work

Former Employee - Program Planning and Control Analyst  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Program Planning and Control Analyst in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits package was good here. Compensation wasn't bad, but could have been better. I enjoyed my job and the things I learned while working here. Overall, I was satisfied working here.

Cons

The job could be very stressful at times. Our office was separate from the main office in Cedar Rapids, so it was difficult at times to create consistent processes, but solutions were being worked to this problem as I was leaving the company.

Good Place to work for freshers and Managers

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice Pay Scale for freshers comparable to other similar industries
    Nice recognition/appraisal/hike if your performing extremely well.

Cons

Not much challenging work, one would find himself/herself doing same work for years.
    HR and upper management decisions are pretty lame when it comes to appraisal, and promotions.

Management should recognize the talents and retain those employees. IMHO, one doesn't simply leave an organization, poor management force them to leave.

Well run at the top, Machiavellian in the middle

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company is wisely split between counter-cyclical industries, namely commercial avionics and defense. Work/life balance is generally good. Tuition reimbursement is good. Salaries are fair.

Cons

With around 90% of employees in the geographic area around the headquarters (Cedar Rapids, IA), there is a undeniable favoring of teams there. In some cases, middle management actively undermines projects at remote sites.

Reign in or outright replace petty, vengeful middle managers who clearly did not learn in kindergarten everything they needed to know. Provide more opportunities to move across functions.

Good company to work for. Major player in avionics industry.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very well balanced work load. Most of the software development process is automated. Competitive benefits. Unlimited sick leaves. Flexible schedules. Easy to choose from several different career paths.

Cons

compensation is average could do better.

Many changes recently with good results. Keep talking to the employers through surveys and keep improving.

Good Company to start with

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good learning curve, benefits, flexible working hours

Cons

training, leadership needs to give chance to the deserving

promotions, salary

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!