Rockwell Collins

www.rockwellcollins.com

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 65 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

All depends on your manager..

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsOpportunities to work on electronics installed in the world's leading fighter and military aircraft.
    Challenging military requirements

ConsDefense contracting is up and down and layoffs are part of the territory

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your employees are people, don't treat them like machines. When they give you 10 extra hours of their personal time, give them 10 minutes of your time to find out what the problems are that require the extra time. Instead of just accepting it as the new standard.

Best company to start your career

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

Pros1. Lots of learning opportunities.
    2. Lots of onsite opportunities.
    3. flexible timings.
    4. no dress code.
    5. excellent work life balance.
    6. Higher pay as compare to market.

Cons1. No good development projects.
    2. Senior level management is not up to the mark.

Loved the work but company moved out of the business

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsWorking with talented people.
    Engineering focus.

ConsLittle room for innovation.
    Very conservative about technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation can happen here

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The largest company that you've never heard of.

ProsThe amazing benefits are excellent

ConsThe bureaucracy and red tape that have to be navigated to accomplish anything

For Freshers

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsGood place for freshers to start .
    No one knows what to do ? so freshers can experiment ?
    For long runners . Learn a piece of software and do that work for years to come . Aviation industry never changes.
    Testing heaven. keep clicking and test
    D0178B /C

Consyour learnign curve will stop in 6 months . and keep doing the same work.
    No one cares of your opinion.(I think all the corporate works in that way)
    Management oriented ( Its more monitored)

Advice to Senior ManagementAge old management techniques need to improve.
    This is for all the corporates . Take emplyee as an indicudual not as an number .
    Every individual has 3 categories The brahma (creators, design, coding ) the Vishnu (the preservor, mainteiners, legacy code ) the Shiva ( the destroyer, integrators, delivery ). Tey to find out each in the indivdual and find his interest in . Put him according to what he is comfortable.
    How abouit making ratings public.

Great place to work, management is less than desirable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and pay. Low stress.

ConsOld boys network - there are people in leadership positions that shouldn't be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out PMs that are not performing.

Horrible working for them in Kuwait.

Satcom Engineering (Current Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsNothing that I can think of.

ConsTrying to stay ahead because of the low over sea salary that they pay us.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of the hard working employees before they consider themselves

Satellite Factories play politics, uneducated supervisors

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Manchester, IA

ProsBenefits good, interesting work, good resources for doing your job.

ConsSome work centers are pushed too hard, too much volume, time pressure, management acts oblivious, especially in factories outside of Cedar Rapids

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to whats happening on the floor, morale is lower in some areas than you might think. Some supervisors cover themselves as opposed to trying to correct the situation.Consider re-organizing/splitting up some centers.

Abusive Politically Charged Environment w/Inept & Vicious Management

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Tustin, CA

ProsEngineering team lovely, decent coworkers. The culture is highly professional but tainted with the viciousness of the administrative staff and their manager.

ConsMiddle & senior management turn blind eye to low level managers that inflict abuse & manage by bullying. Administrative staff report to small minded & vicious manager that demonstrates partiality to pets & has created smoke screen to disguise inept ability. Exemplary work ethic nor outstanding caliber of work make any difference should you defend yourself against false accusations or bullying. Admins BEWARE. If you can take abuse & vicious females who are allowed to wield their power over everyone, you may be able to survive. If you do not tolerate high level stress & abuse then this is not the environment for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake action to eliminate inept management team that show no regard for employees that are forced to tolerate this toxic, unhealthy & unprofessional work environment! Make it politically "correct" to defend employees against false allegations & bullying! Admins should report directly to management they are supporting NOT a low level manager that is inept. Senior Admins that report to Senior Directors should be stripped of their power and educated on interpersonal skills & taught the true definition of a harmonious team environment.

Once Great, Now Just OK

Principal Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros* By and large a lot of smart engineers.
    * I like the Mid-Western values,,,,Iowa is an easy place to live

Cons* Significant lack of senior and mid-level leadership. We need senior leaders with a skill set that goes beyond by-name tracking of who took their 20 min training video before the end of the month.
    * Very much a Good Old Boys club for Senior Leadership
    * Not a clue what Lean really means. Just cut Budget even more =/= Lean. But we are very good at tracking who read the lean book.
    * Old, out-dated office environment.

Advice to Senior Management* Need new Senior Level Leadership. Why keep same Senior VPs in the same job for 10+ years?
    * Pick Leaders because of their Demonstrated Accomplishments and Leadership skills....not how nice their hair cuts are and their skill at networking at after work events. Need more Capability and less Ego.
    * Become more Customer focused (like it used to be). "Just Good Enough" should not be good enough.
    * Spend some money on carpet and paint.....and cleaner restrooms...ewwww gross :(
    * OMG please bring in new IT dept leadership and technology.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!