Rockwell Collins Reviews

1. Good work place

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Nice people, good pay.

Cons

Management needs to be more upfront.

Be more upfront with employees before making promises you can't keep

great but key personnel not being promoted to important position

Current Employee - RF Design Engineer and Research Fix Broken Designs in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

very active in design and develope of key design of airplane support

Cons

promotion of proper personnel are a little weak

look into your promotions of key positions

Stay away from this company, they lie, cheat and steal.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Honestly, if you want a job that probably have some. But take everything with a grain of salt, they have jobs because of the high turn over of people leaving.

Cons

There's a lot. This is NOT the same company is was 10 years ago. All of the good managers have retired and were replaced by yes-men that exist to beat everyone down in a effort to bring in cheaper labor. This is by upper management decree which hopes to be cheap enough to some day convince another company to buy them out. The best kick in the teeth I got this weekend. Five years after leaving, Rockwell Collins decided to cancel my pension that I had earned. So much for keep their agreements and honoring benefits. Do yourself a favor and don't work here, don't put yourself through their version of hell.

We all know Management as RC is a lost cause. There was over 50% turn over in my department after I left and that particular manager is still at the company. So he's succeeded in following orders from the top.

Company lacks Common Sense

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Flex Time
    Some good people, if your lucky enough to work with them
    Interesting work
    Great legacy of products

Cons

The "LEAN" process is suppose to work when applied to any department, function, or person. And when that doesn't work, it is the employee's fault.

Directors will force unethical charge back practices on certain departments, then refuse to help with the many issues and concerns expressed directly to them as a result.

Processes, policies, work flow and office environment are all control by the directors and managers.
    Suggestions for department improvements are not acted on by leadership. Yet each month we are reminded with charts, graphs, and percentages, how the employee is responsible to make these improvements, along with getting your daily job accomplished, tackling at lest 2 goals a year, finding time for the countless mandatory CBT training, yearly required "LEAN" activities, 5S activities, office food days, pie in the face day, dip day, family picture day.........etc, etc.

Political office culture is exhausting, very highschoolish antics that leadership needs to stop.

Ombudsman/HR listen to the managers only, ignore complaints from employees. Dishonest directors will lie to escape scrutiny.

Horrible parking conditions, can be a very long walk outside in bad weather. Iowa has a lot of bad weather.
    Permit parking for the higher pay grades, managers and above. Nothing like walking past open parking spots when it's -50 below outside.

To HR; please realize when a complaint is brought to your attention that involves a director, there must be some truth/reason for the complaint. It's an awful process to go through, and in my experience I was made to feel as though I was the problem. My documentation was ridiculed by the HR representative, I was told it meant nothing, and I have had repercussions since for speaking up. All the director had to do is lie, and that was it. Case closed.

6. Mechanical engineering intern

Former Intern - Test Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Intern - Test Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Had a fantastic, non-micromanaging boss
    - You're treated straight up as a full-time engineer
    - Coworkers were good for the most part; some were slightly condescending and super sarcastic but such is the engineer way at times
    - Lots of multitasking to keep myself busy and not dead-ended on one project (involved with around 12 projects in total)
    - "Free" housing at nearby university (gets taken out of paycheck but is still very cheap), kitchenette with dishes and silverware all provided free of charge, along with free access to the university workout room. Living conditions were A+
    - VERY flexible with vacation time; was able to get ~10 days off in total from my 14 week internship for vacation reasons
    - If you're into getting things nailed down early, there's a good chance you'll get a full-time offer after immediately after your internship if you're starting your senior year and you do a good job. If you're interested in other full-time or part-time stuff with Rockwell, then just ask around and see what pops up!

Cons

- The mentor system is a good idea at heart but doesn't get utilized at all
    - I enjoyed ~80% of my work, which was nearly all design related, but feel like the full-time guys did way more paperwork than I did and that wasn't really addressed when I brought it up a few times
    - Chunks of time with no assigned work due to workflow in department
    - Cedar Rapids is awesome for families, not so much for engineers fresh out of college

In my limited experience management was great; I definitely lucked into a great boss though.

7. Former co-op

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Spectacular benefits
    Good people (in my department at least)

Cons

Higher stress sometimes
    Lots of employees

None

8. I learned alot at this company

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Good work environment, good staff

Cons

lifting 80 lbs of salt every night, working 3rd shift

9. Many opportunities in Engineering from systems, to design, to test.

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Niche product lines. Good benefits.

Cons

Tough schedules with significant time managing cost and schedule.

none

10. This company has a lot of potential to grow and improve

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins (less than a year)

Pros

Ideas are readily accepted and appreciated

Cons

It takes forever to accomplish something, especially if it is new
    The culture is inconsistent across departments

11. Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Tight knit group of engineers (within your division). Everyone works as a team to get the job done. Managers, in general, look out for their group and keeps them informed. Provides a career development roadmap

Cons

Slightly stuck in old ways of engineering. Focus on Lean practices can distract from real issues hindering progress