Rockwell Collins

www.rockwellcollins.com

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 65 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Company review

ProsFlexible hours to work and have good training programs

ConsCareer Growth is slow in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Wonderful company

Manucturing Engineer (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsThe Cedar Rapids headquarters has some of the nicest people in the world working there. The company shows good regard for its employees and hard work is expected and rewarded.

ConsVery hard to get a job at Rockwell Collins unless you know someone on the inside. Long hours of hard work can be expected. There's a right way and wrong way to do things but the only right way is the way Rockwell Collins has always done it (new ideas not accepted here).

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the communications problems with your HR department. All the HR effort seems to be on existing employees to the detriment of recruiting new blood.

Great company to start at ......That's about it

ProsNice long winter break
    Nice work life balance
    New CEO is making good changes

ConsSr. Management does not care about the voice of the employees
    Concept of Lean is to cut staffing and budgets, not continuous improvement
    Good ol boys club definately in play
    Promotions are hard to come by for work well done
    Location is horrible.....Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees
    Managers do not hire for talent, will only hire those that fit into their circle

Advice to Senior ManagementNew CEO needs to clean house of the good ol boys club and put in Leadership that actually listen and care about their employees. Relocate headquarters and Operations out of Cedar Rapids to a more appealing location to attract and retain talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Abusive Politically Charged Environment w/Inept & Vicious Management

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Tustin, CA

ProsEngineering team lovely, decent coworkers. The culture is highly professional but tainted with the viciousness of the administrative staff and their manager.

ConsMiddle & senior management turn blind eye to low level managers that inflict abuse & manage by bullying. Administrative staff report to small minded & vicious manager that demonstrates partiality to pets & has created smoke screen to disguise inept ability. Exemplary work ethic nor outstanding caliber of work make any difference should you defend yourself against false accusations or bullying. Admins BEWARE. If you can take abuse & vicious females who are allowed to wield their power over everyone, you may be able to survive. If you do not tolerate high level stress & abuse then this is not the environment for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake action to eliminate inept management team that show no regard for employees that are forced to tolerate this toxic, unhealthy & unprofessional work environment! Make it politically "correct" to defend employees against false allegations & bullying! Admins should report directly to management they are supporting NOT a low level manager that is inept. Senior Admins that report to Senior Directors should be stripped of their power and educated on interpersonal skills & taught the true definition of a harmonious team environment.

Horrible working for them in Kuwait.

Satcom Engineering (Current Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsNothing that I can think of.

ConsTrying to stay ahead because of the low over sea salary that they pay us.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of the hard working employees before they consider themselves

Post Military Disaster

Publications (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsNice location in Cedar Rapids

ConsConfused managers in various forms that are completely UN-knowledgeable in areas they are in place to manage. They are in charge but have no clue. No one can make decisions and when they do it's usually wrong. Program Managers have very little experience in dealing with the actual development areas. If your a Hawkeye Graduate Your in, otherwise, it's a long climb to get anywhere. People hired or moved into positions because they are friends of friends or family and not even qualified. A complete and total disaster. Upper Management has no clue as to what is going on 2 levels below them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip on what is going on in your company. You can't keep hiring YES men and Women. Eventually that will bite you in the butt. Needless to say people are leaving the company on their own accord in a bad way.

Solid Company with poor managers.

ProsI am trusted to get the job done working alone. Pay is fairly competitive. Company is on a good path to sucess.

ConsSafety issues reported to management and they take no corrective action. Management & co-workers ignore your emails, however if you ignore one of theirs you catch hell for it. Work policy only counts for some workers and not others, otherwise known as favortisim.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ignore safety issues, this will cost you big when someone gets injured. Don't tell one person he has to take a day of leave to go to a doctor appt, then tell the next guy to go ahead we'll cover for you.

Good company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsGood people
    Great work life balance
    Recent policy changes have made career growth opportunities better
    Lots of opportunity for bonuses

ConsLarge company with a lot of policy changes with unclear reasons.

Good place to start and develop; benefits reasonable

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsIf you get a chance to work in a small team, then you will have the best experience. The experienced engineers are very nice and like to share their knowledge.
    Work-life balance is good I would say; once you learn about your job the workload is reasonable unless you are close to some deadlines then you might have to work extra hours.
    Leaves and vacation benefits are great compared to other companies I have heard about; but those are now changing.
    Education assistance is great !! you get to spend 10 to 15K on your higher education which is awesome if you want to do Masters or MBA.
    Being close to Iowa City it is a great place to work and do MBA from one of the best business colleges at University of Iowa.

ConsConservative in their processes and not very open to change or new way of doing things. Tried an tested is always preferred
    Promotions in certain dept. especially in your first 5-7 years can be hard to get
    Within a certain job, once you become good at something you will always get the same type of work or on the same product; for this you might have to move somewhere else within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake moving within the company more easy and anonymous
    Improve the work environment please... we spend almost half of our day here so having a good environment or office areas is important if you want your employees to spend more time at work and enjoy their jobs.

Comfortable Job with little promise for future

Software Engineer E1 (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsOverall, my employment here was a decent experience. As long as you can manage yourself to an extent, you will be able to find something to do to keep yourself busy. It may be just testing software, but its something to get going. Overall, the technology tends to lag behind industry but sometimes makes sense for reliability reasons. If you are looking for a comfortable job in a laid back city, this is it.

ConsThere are certainly some managers here that should have never left their desk as an engineer. When it comes to writing code or designing a project, they are fantastic. But when it comes to management style, well, there is no management style. Over my year of full-time employment here, I was going onto my third manager due to reorgs, people leaving, etc. Also, the work given to entry level engineers, most of the time the most code you will write is some Python to automate a test.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on getting better managers in place, and I think the employees will be happier.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!