Rockwell Collins Reviews

723 reviews filtered by

It is a good company

Former Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the challenges and the ability to move from department to different departments. Cutting edge GPS groups were great to work for.

Cons

Too many middle managers. The company relies on SAP and LEAN too much. Another misstep that I saw when I worked there was the integration of the company's outsourced materials that were too vital for the product that we were forced to use. It seemed that nobody ever wanted to admit when they made a mistake. Finally, the nurses station group has too much influence on employees' job status. They should stick to making sure people are healthy and stay out of human resources.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and not to the status quo. And make sure that the final product's quality is more important than putting out a poor product on time so the stockholders get an extra two cents per share of stock.

It's ok. Has been better, could be better.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

14 paid holiday days per year. Annual bonus. Good work-life balance (depends on manager), nice environment. New CEO seems to be more employee focused.

Cons

So much emphasis on "lean". Spend too much time trying to earn "lean" points and it gets in the way of completing real work. Still "Cedar-centric" although mgmt (in Cedar) keeps emphazing that they are not. Upper management plans "morale" events and all-hands during high volume times. Seems like they are out of touch of when their staff is the most busy. This is not the same company that I hired into 15 years ago. At that time, it felt more like family and employees were more valued. Now, it's all about making the numbers even when the numbers were thrust upon you and were not reasonable. Takes too much time to get decisions made. Tools to get the work done are outdated and add to delays.

Advice to Management

Get some feedback on the tools that your staff uses. Are they adequate? "Morale" events should not replace the one-on-one pat on the back or positive feedbacks given more frequently than during review times. Employees need to feel their value more than twice per year.

3. Conflicted About Review

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Great midwest work ethic. Front line workers doing their best. Some great technology being developed, where visionaries are allowed to work freely.

Cons

Lack of vision to improve engineering development environment. Still using antiquated tools. Leadership is not in synch with one another. Each leader kinda does what they think is best, with little harmony across the enterprise. The division between Government and Commercial Systems Engineering creates an unnessarily hostile work environment between business units. Tech development tends to continually lag the competition, always following the leaders.

Advice to Management

Solicit and cast a vision. Allow your visionaries to become champions. Reward those who deliver substantial improvements.

The truth

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Large, stable, well established, global

Cons

Cedar Rapids led, suffocating, unethical

Advice to Management

Let people do the job they were hired to do.

6. Great People and Exciting Changes

Current Employee - IT Services in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - IT Services in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rockwell is transforming its global IT infrastructure. After years of criticism the company has recently taken an innovative approach in its shared IT services. People are very nice and want to contribute to the overall success.

Cons

Middle managers operate with a mindset of managing people vs managing talent. Managers tend to be political and approach projects with the intention of covering themselves vs operating in the world of possibilities.

Advice to Management

Flatten the organizational structure. Many middle managers and directors are not needed and often get in the way.

Good company with good benefits and great people but a crappy location.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Diverse workforce in commercial systems. Employees at various stages of their careers from all around the world.
    - Winter shutdown
    - 3 weeks paid vacation
    - Interesting products

Cons

- Slow to accept new technologies
    - Innovation is restricted by process
    - Meeting schedule is preferred over innovation
    - Cedar Rapids is in the middle of nowhere

8. Sr. Field Service Engineer

Current Employee - Customer Service Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

From day one I have been treated very well by RC. I work at a location by myself with very little supervision and I'm free to set my own schedule.

Cons

Initial salary was low in retrospect but has since caught up to the average. My base pay was lower than some of the mechanics I was supporting, but with allowances and yearly bonus it is not as bad. Not a lot of room for promotion. They put multiple projects under one manager to stay lean, but this does not allow for any upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap when recruiting talent.

9. Right place for me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I feel very fortunate to work for Rockwell Collins. My leaders have always cared about me as a professional and a person. I get to do work that I enjoy and the company paid for my graduate degree. Having the holiday shut-down is the best!

Cons

It is sometimes hard to get decisions made quickly and efficiently. Being in Cedar Rapids is a blessing and a curse. It can be hard to move people here, but for us it is a great place to live.

Advice to Management

Please keep up all the positive changes you are making in the company. Every word you speak and action you take has an impact on your people. Even if it is something insignificant to you it can be huge to someone in your organization. This works in both positive and negative ways.

Relieved To Have Left This Company

Former Employee - Software Engineer E2 in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer E2 in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Winter shutdown
    - Work Life Balance

Cons

Not sure where to start! The following list reflects my experience in one particular department, your mileage may vary elsewhere:
    - Worked for the company for 6 years without any promotion! Each year you beg for the promised promotion and you get excellent reviews from your manager, but nothing happens.
    - No respect for technical talent. It is only about "leadership skills". I was once told that I am too good technically, and that I needed to "build relationships" within the department!
    - Middle aged white men dominate leadership/management positions. Diversity means Indian contractors.
    - 2% raises every year. I got a 20% raise when I left to a competitor!
    - Horrible work atmosphere. Employees eat lunch at their desk or at home.
    - No real engineering work. Paper pushing. That is why engineers are easily replaceable. You are discouraged from asking technical questions when interviewing new candidates!
    - HR is very weak and has no say in anything. I approached them when I had problems with my manager, but they could not help in any way.
    - Attrition rate of over 10%. It is a revolving door especially for younger engineers who are not from the area.
    - Cedar rapids is a horrible place to live. Unless you have family in the area.
    - Very few new technologies. You will mostly be working on supporting a legacy product, or a re-application of an existing product onto a new platform.

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback you get during the exit interviews. The changes you made to the E band to make it easier for engineers to get promoted are not being applied on the ground by middle managers. People don't leave your company for nothing.

Your Manager makes all the difference

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Although benefits have been cut, they are still competitive. Not many places still has the vacation/shut down that Rockwell offers. A lot of flexibility in work hours. Ethics and integrity. A lot of great people work here who are really trying to get things done.

Cons

EVERYTHING has to go to upper management for approval. They are not always in touch with how employees will react so things can get slowed down tremendously. New CEO is trying to change the culture but he has his work cut out for him. We make everything hard.

Advice to Management

Let go...some of the decisions that go to your level are not going to make or break the company...please listen to the people who are closest to the work...you don't know everything and shouldn't pretend that you do.