Rockwell Collins Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

RC is a historic company in a very exciting field. There are many top engineers working there and the work is challenging and and simulating.

Cons

Corporate culture is eaten up with all kinds of initiatives that look good on the outside but have no demonstrated business value. Good work is far less important than keeping up with the latest politically correct fads and fashions.

Advice to Management

Act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly. In my experience management does not understand these three essential elements of great leadership.

Not a very well run company

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Free parking Sport leagues and day care (both have to pay for) Week shutdown (don't count it if you an engineer, you probably end up working it for free while your manager is home)

Cons

Poor management (Upper and middle) High turnover of engineers (Last couple years, management has been going through engineers because of extended work weeks, no raises, and poor project managment) Very bad HR dept. They live in their own world. Very low Voice of Employee survey scores. Frequent reorgs ( a couple a month, lately)

Advice to Management

Senior management is out of touch with the company. Projects are way behind because of poor middle managment. Lean is pretty much a joke at the company. Middle managers use to blame their engineers for their own failures of leadership.

Mired in mediocrity and powerpoint

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Still good brand working with very smart people exciting industry

Cons

Senior Leadership Endless process stifles all decisions Powerpoint mania HR are anti-employee Faltering programs

Advice to Management

Eliminate DP process, find a new CEO, eliminate shared services.....learn how to build new and innovative products again. All of Senior Leadership are scared of the CEO, hence they hide bad news and often, the truth. Honesty is not rewarded, just the appearance of honesty.

DO NOT WORK FOR ROCKWELL

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

There a so few pros, to working here. One of the few is that you start with three weeks vacation and the winter shutdown on the rare years you get it off.

Cons

RC is a horrible place to work. The management is abusive and ruled by HR. This has turned into an HR company that just happens to make radios. Department managers are threatened by anyone who has experience or knowledge. To make diversity quotas they are hiring non American citizens and have them working on secure projects for the government. When these ITAR issues were raised by our customer, management told them to not to worry about it. That customer has since cancelled a multi-million dollar contract. The choices of hiring and firings are almost exclusively made by HR, actual technical managers have little input. I have seen RC make major personal mistakes, due to HR not understanding what engineering staff really do. An example of this is a firing that I witnessed. A woman was recruited into RC whom I had previously worked with at a previous aerospace company. She was a known "mover and shaker" and considered an important "political" and technical asset. The management used to send her to interface with the customer because they knew that the customer had so much trust in her, that her word was good enough for the government to be happy. She was fired from RC when her manager felt threatened by her. That is how RC treats top talent. RC also has a retention problem, with employees coming in with big bonuses and leaving quickly to go elsewhere as quickly as they can.

Advice to Management

Start by re-evaluating the position of hr in the corporation. Let go managers that have people running for the doors. Remember that our company's reputation is an important asset, not only in recruiting but winning contracts. Firing people who are talent sends the wrong message to our customers.

Everyone is very complacent. Everyone is waiting to retire.

Former Employee - Senior Information Assurance Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Information Assurance Engineer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

They have great history and get some of the best contracts.

Cons

All of the contracts RC works on is a waste of tax dollars, not because the contracts aren't important but because RC has lost their competitive edge. They are unable to deliver on-time on their contracts and they have no more drive for innovation. The level of competency of most employees is low. Those that are competent spend all their time talking about all the innovative stuff they used to do.

Advice to Management

Separate new hires into a silo where they are not affected by the complacency that plagues the company.

I would not recommend Rockwell to anyone

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Flex time Very Interesting work I like what I do Pay is OK for the area

Cons

Elitist Management Horrible elitist parking HR works for Leadership Weird cliques Old white guys still rule here No common sense

Advice to Management

Have your directors REALLY watch the ethics videos! I'm constantly surprised at the rudeness and arrogance from our directors

Management was not prepare to take action and make proper changes when the economy crashed in 2009-2010.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

The benefits package was really good compare to other companies in the area.

Cons

The company need better management to succeed.

Advice to Management

Need more preparation and smart use of emotional intelligence to bring the better of every single employee.

Okay, with some very bad pockets

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Decent benefits, although steadily worsening Some very talented and helpful people Challenging work, for the most part Generally accommodating when time off is needed Performance bonus is nice if you get it

Cons

Like many larger corporations, upper management is overcompensated and the structure is too hierarchical. Office size and parking privileges are based on management level while everyone else gets relegated to claustrophobic 6-foot-square cubicles crammed together in a noisy environment with no privacy and long walks in from parking. Seniority used to be considered in those assignments, but that's long gone. Although there are pockets of good lower management, way too many areas have incompetent, hostile managers that don't bother learning what their employees do, then ambush them at review time. The lack of communication is appalling. Managers grossly understaff for projects or particular functions and then punish the people they're supposed to be leading for not accomplishing the impossible. HR exists only as a tool that management can use to enable their attacks on the rank and file. They claim to be both employee advocates and a guiding force for management, but the employee advocate part is way, way down on the list. You will find no recourse if you have to go to HR about anything. They take management's side every time. Raises have been below the cost of living for years, but that's fairly common because of the poorer economic conditions. A new rating system has been instituted that guarantees a certain number of people will be branded as failures no matter what, and a lot of the rest will get unfavorable-enough ratings that they can be denied a bonus or raise. Overall, conditions have been getting steadily worse for the last decade and are nearly intolerable in some areas. Your immediate manager is incredibly key as to if your personal environment is good or bad, and they can change every year or two. If you have a bad one, just wait it out and you'll probably have a new one soon due to constant reorgs. If you have a good one, enjoy it while you can because he/she (or you) will soon be somewhere else. Many in I.T. support have jobs that depend on things breaking, since trouble tickets are the only metric that is tracked. Preventive effort and good stewardship are not rewarded, just the "heroic" efforts to fix problems that could have been easily avoided. Front line support has been outsourced in disastrous fashion.

Advice to Management

Look at the culture you are fostering and see if that's really the company you want to build. Get off the short-sighted "our only responsibility is to the shareholder" fad and start thinking about the employees again (most of whom are also shareholders.) Treat them better and the shareholder will also be well served.

One of the worst places to be in - if you are Software Developer

Current Employee - Embedded Software Developer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Embedded Software Developer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Most of the days you can get away by working 6 hours a day. Work is not that challenging (if that's what you like). Good work-life balance.

Cons

Most importantly, if you are looking for a company to do your green card and you have other options, DON'T JOIN THIS COMPANY. Before I join, I got an email statement from HR saying that they would do my green card after one year based on my manager's review. I did very well during that year. Near the end of the year, when I go to talk to my manager, he says HR has changed their policies and all new hires would have to wait for 5 years before they do their green card. Even when I showed them the email HR had sent me before I join, they did not change their mind. Be very wary about trusting what the HR tells you before you join. This is almost a career killer if you are a software developer. You will be stuck with the outdated technologies and methods. Change is very hard to bring about in this kind of environment. You will be unfit to work in almost any other environment. The work is not at all challenging. Every thing is mechanized and very impersonal. Compared to my newer companies and the ones I worked in before I join Rockwell Collins, people are not as interesting or energetic. Certainly not a place for singles. Most singles can't stay there for more than a few years. It's a boring boring town. Management is very arrogant and usually don't welcome new ideas. Promotion is very rare. Salary for software engineers in Avionics is way below other industries.

Advice to Management

Try to be competitive to keep software engineers in the company. Stick to what you say to an employee before he/she joins. Make the environment more personal and less mechanized.

Work environment at RC

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at RC for 5 years. Great people. Cedar rapids is an alright place to live.

Cons

Finally left the company because of lack of opportunities. Buddy system in full time mode here. You need a person to look after your career or you are dead meat.

Advice to Management

Open up guys

RSS Feed </> Embed