Rockwell Collins

www.rockwellcollins.com

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 65 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

They do not care about there employees.

Clerical (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBenefits, vacation, work enviroment. There are great people working there. HR dept. is the worst I've ever seen.

ConsThey layoff people every year. Seems like now they are hitting the ones who are close to retirement. But really not old enough. How do you find a job when you are 62,63,or 64 years old.

Advice to Senior ManagementLayoff Supervisors & Managers who are worthless & make too much money.

25 % engineers laid off

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsSome good people and good retirement

ConsTerrible management they all come form ISU or U of I and all think alike . They need to bring in some outside tallent .

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave and let someone manage the company

Its all about who you know....year after year after year.

Training Coordinator (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, NE

ProsIf you live in Cedar Rapids it would be a short drive.
    You get time off at Christmas and three weeks of vacation as new employee
    Tuition reimbursement

ConsHigh school at corporate level - you have the cliques, jocks, the cheerleader types, the nerds - with as many MBA students that Rockwell has paid for you would think someone would know how to at least pretend they are professional.
    Very few genuine people at this company.
    An over abundance of paper pushers.
    Unpredictable career path, raises, all about who you know and how you know them

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a really good self examination. Read the comment on sites such as this and then actual do something about the many areas the management is lacking in. There are older VPs that need to retire and hire from the outside someone that thinks totally opposite of how the management thinks now. Then, let them manage..don't squelch thier plans to revamp this once amazing company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Success Depends on Who you know not what

Program Manager (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsNo real demand on when you have to be at work
    week off for Christmas

ConsNo ability to increase in position or salary.
    Salary increases at best just below inflation
    Bonous is often just cut
    Very much a good old boys club

Advice to Senior ManagementPay High performers. Supervise Managers

Worst if you are looking for technical growth

Associate Engineer (Former Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsGood pay, benefits, Flexible timings
    Brandname

ConsBad management
    No much work life balance - Have to spend nights at the office
    Even when there is no work, need to spend 9 1/2 hours in the office atleast
    Bad work - Completely testing in India
    Lot of pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't create false statements during interviews that the candidate will be placed in development section only.

NOT for Foreign nationals..

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsSupportive management
    Good work Life balance

ConsCompanies policy for foreign nationals.
    -> Company will apply for H1B only before 3 to 4 months of the expiration of OPT extension.
    -> Company will apply for Green Card only before 2 years of the expiration of H1B extension.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange companies policies about foreign nationals and apply for Green card as soon as possible.

Work environment at RC

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsI worked at RC for 5 years. Great people. Cedar rapids is an alright place to live.

ConsFinally left the company because of lack of opportunities. Buddy system in full time mode here. You need a person to look after your career or you are dead meat.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up guys

Great to be a manager, not so hot to be an engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen there is work it can be interesting and rewarding. Rockwell Collins has come to be a big though not dominant player in avionics hardware, software, ground systems, and customer service.

ConsNowhere near enough of these fun projects. As a result engineers and consultants cannot depend on Rockwell Collins for steady work, which would not be so bad if there were other places to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementPubicly the management supports engineering education. Is it a good practice to do this and then outsource engineering work? Of course parents will tell their college-bound children to go for the big bucks and that usually means an MBA and a management career track.

Not a good place to work

Engineer (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

Pros- Good salary for freshers
    - Brand name

Cons- This is not the good place to work.
    - Working environment is not good.
    - No Work life balance.
    - If you deny anything what your manager says then you have to ready for not getting promoted and very minimal hike.
    - Policy is worst here.
    - No responsibilities by the management.

Advice to Senior Management- Be ethical.
    - Be responsible
    - Employees are human being.

One of the worst places to be in - if you are Software Developer

Embedded Software Developer (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsMost of the days you can get away by working 6 hours a day.
    Work is not that challenging (if that's what you like).
    Good work-life balance.

ConsMost importantly, if you are looking for a company to do your green card and you have other options, DON'T JOIN THIS COMPANY. Before I join, I got an email statement from HR saying that they would do my green card after one year based on my manager's review. I did very well during that year. Near the end of the year, when I go to talk to my manager, he says HR has changed their policies and all new hires would have to wait for 5 years before they do their green card. Even when I showed them the email HR had sent me before I join, they did not change their mind. Be very wary about trusting what the HR tells you before you join.
    This is almost a career killer if you are a software developer. You will be stuck with the outdated technologies and methods. Change is very hard to bring about in this kind of environment. You will be unfit to work in almost any other environment.
    The work is not at all challenging. Every thing is mechanized and very impersonal. Compared to my newer companies and the ones I worked in before I join Rockwell Collins, people are not as interesting or energetic.
    Certainly not a place for singles. Most singles can't stay there for more than a few years. It's a boring boring town.
    Management is very arrogant and usually don't welcome new ideas.
    Promotion is very rare.
    Salary for software engineers in Avionics is way below other industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be competitive to keep software engineers in the company.
    Stick to what you say to an employee before he/she joins.
    Make the environment more personal and less mechanized.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!