Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
709 reviews filtered by

Beware of old school mentality

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Short term work good benefits

Cons

This is an old established company. It is run like a old family business . There are insiders and outsiders. The insiders will have jobs for life, the are from Iowa primarily and have long family employment at RC . If you graduated from UofI then you may become one. Otherwise you are treated like horse chutle . You get laid off every 4 to 5 years no real raise and no promotion .

Get more outside help , you've grown stale and the world has passed you by.

Stressful

Current Employee - Senior Technician in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Technician in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Money, tech rate was pushing 30 dollars an hour until the new contract was accepted.

Cons

Managerial incompetence, and a social structure akin to a highschool drama movie.

Just quit while you're ahead.

seriously disappointed

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is plenty of work to do.

Cons

Management has been saying that they will address shortfalls in pay and benefits, but it is an empty promise.

Show some loyalty to your long-time employees who have stuck with you through the hard times. Trust is past tense.

5. Summer Intern |S|AP BW 2014

Former Intern - Graduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Intern - Graduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent leadership, very encouraging environment. Team-members love to help you out. My direct Manager and the above him were both really helpful and patient. They make sure to provide you with enough training and support so that you can perform successfully.

Cons

Slow growth as compared to other companies
    The work pace is very slow

Excellent office culture. They shouldn't change it. More SAP led training should be provided

6. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to learn and grow for engineers

Cons

Location - Cedar Rapids may not attract people to stay long term

Conflicted

Current Employee - Program Management
    Current Employee - Program Management

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Global company
    Matrixed organization provides opportunities
    Shared Service model
    Strong portfolio mix
    Excellent reputation in the market place
    Proven history

Cons

Old leadership paradigms
    Top down leader model
    Weak Human Resource systems
    Limited career development

Engage and leverage employee knowledge
    Unleash employee talent
    Focus on employee retention and career developmeet
    Remove poor leadership versus promoting

8. Systems Engineer Intern G.S

Current Intern - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Intern - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The best reason is the flexibility of the positions. It is very easy to work around the company because the company is about providing avionics and software packages to the industry. So it's very easy to switch projects if you don't like it. Also, company is medium size which meant that it was easier to meet higher up management. As an intern, we met with the CEO on one of our intern meetings

Cons

Cedar Rapids Iowa is a very nice city, but growing up from New York City, it was very boring.

Very process driven, Cedar Rapids midwest centric company

Former Employee - Programs Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Programs Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of training, decent bonus plan for senior management, good work-life balance

Cons

Too much emphasis on "in-house" solutions not best value solutions, very political internally. Very risk averse, not much adoptation of cutting edge technologies unless they are very mature.

Need senior leadership from outside Iowa for a change!

10. Great Experience

Former Intern - Undergraduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Intern - Undergraduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The management and projects were great, it was an excellent experience for a college student to learn about their industry. I always felt like I had someone to ask questions of and figure out the next step in a project.

Cons

Occasionally, I would finish a project and it seemed as if they didn't really have anything ready for me to pick up- I would have a day interim with no work to do.

Stable, but bad for career development

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable. As long as you put in your 40 hours and do some work, you'll never get fired.
    3 weeks of vacation to start. Lots of days off.

Good for people in the twilight of their careers.

Cons

The TL;DR: You won't learn anything, the pay is bad, and there's no career development.

The long version:
    Rockwell's motto is "Building Trust Everyday". However, most employees don't trust the upper management. They constantly lie or misrepresent their policies, and exceptions are constantly given to their "buddies" or "mistresses". Whenever something goes wrong, a "fall guy" is created and fired, which makes for a strong "cover your butt" culture.

Promotions are rare, with the exception of females, who seem to get promoted as soon as they meet the time requirement (about every 4 years). After 8 years of experience, most women are moved from engineering into management. For the men, it's a "who you know" culture, and any excuse will be given to those not in the good 'ol boys club. My favorite excuse was "you don't make enough money to be promoted", followed by "it's someone else's turn for a good review". At a minimum, it takes 14 years to make Principal, but that's pretty rare.

On the topic of reviews, ratings (1-5) are given on a bell curve. Most everyone gets a 3, with the 5's given to females and those in the good 'ol boys network. If someone on the team is given a 5, then someone else on the team has to receive a 1. If you're a male and promoted the year before, it was an unwritten policy to give that person a 2 because "you can't be good at your job the first year". In most cases, managers know the ratings they want to give at the beginning of the year, and start building a case for it so they have the documentation ready by review time. There is an appeal process, but the employee never wins.

R&D funding is incredibly hard to get, and usually not utilized in a productive manner. Rockwell is incredibly reactive, and doesn't do anything new. Touchscreens are the big innovation now.

As for personal career development, forget it. Many of the departments still programs in ADA, which no one uses anymore. Some of the groups do program in C or C++, but their in maintenance mode, and most people do very little coding. The requirements are incredibly detailed, so coding is not very challenging. And most groups are trying to utilize to tools to remove a lot of the coding, such as Simulink of model-based development. All communication standards are ARINC or MIL, which is only used in avionics. In short, you won't learn much at Rockwell that can apply to other industries.

Pay at Rockwell is sub-par, with most employees at 80-90% of the market rate. Most people work at Rockwell right out of college, and then leave after a few years for a huge pay raise. The attrition rate for employees with less than 5 years of experience was 14%, with the number one reason for leaving being "money". However, most employers in the Cedar Rapids area actually pay less, which means you have to move for more money, and many employees with families are reluctant to leave. Most people leave to work for Garmin or Honeywell.

To raise their pay, it is a common practice for employees to leave the company for a couple years and then return, because new hires get paid a market rate. It's so common that HR has a term for them: "slingshots". It's well-known and almost encouraged. It's also common for engineers to take a management position for a couple years, because managers get paid a lot more. After a couple years, they move back to engineering and are allowed to keep their salary.

Last of all, the resources are pathetic. In 2006, I was given a Core2 Duo computer with 2GB of RAM, which was pretty decent at the time. Six years later, I still had the same computer and Rockwell refused to replace it. I also had dual 19" LCD monitors, which were great in 2006...not so much in 2014. I ended up buying my own monitors. Oh, and they just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 in 2013. Asking for a new computer, monitors, or anything needed to do your job is met with heavy resistance. I was told, by a VP, that "Yes, you need that resource. However, if I give it to you then everyone will want one, and we can't afford that."

None. I've actually had conversations with many of the VP's and Senior VP's, and realize that advice and feedback from the minions falls on deaf ears. They only listen to the stockholders, which is great for short-term but not for long-term. In fact, talking with the Senior VP of HR made me realize I should leave the company.