Rocky Mountaineer

Updated January 21, 2015
2.8

Rocky Mountaineer President & CEO Randy Powell
Randy Powell

Great company, hard work!

Current Contractor - Host in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Host in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Rocky Mountaineer as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Training, travel, company values, reputable company, tips, fun

Cons

constantly put in difficult situations, long hours, lack of sleep, work-life balance

More opportunities for advancement and cross-functional employment

Vacation Consultant

Former Contractor - Vacation Consultant in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Vacation Consultant in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Rocky Mountaineer as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Overall good employer. Great sales training, and team leads provide constructive feedback to help improve performance. Management sets clear and transparent sales goals and there is an environment of friendly competition within the sales team.

Cons

Generally this position requires weekend shifts, and the weekday hours can vary from week to week depending on when the management's needs. The Vacation Consultant position is often hired on a contract basis, which means it does not come with any medical/pension benefits if not hired as a permanent employee.

Long hours little gratitude

Former Contractor - Guest Services Manager
    Former Contractor - Guest Services Manager

I worked at Rocky Mountaineer as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

They provide a good quality uniform and pay for annual training and season wrap up meetings. Fair travel and meal allowances are provided when travelling on business. Good group benefit package. Quality product. Quality clientele.

Cons

Shifts and days off are irregular and late trains being a regular occurrence requires managers to work a lot of unpaid overtime and are often on-call. Working conditions in some stations are unpleasant due to space limitations and facility conditions. Little job security as company changes organizational structure often.

Live the values you preach.

Company

Former Employee - Project Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Rocky Mountaineer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in, I gained a lot of experience and knowledge

Cons

I really do not have any cons

Good start, great grassroots, out of touch executive

I worked at Rocky Mountaineer

Pros

I got to work and earn good tips for 6 months of the year. I able to be passionate about my job.

Cons

Management seemed to be threatened by those under them who were smart and competent. Would hassle the hardest and best working employees for the smallest and most insignificant reasons. Executive management was out of touch with how service was delivered and didn't trust their employees.

Very good to begin with, co values & leadership changed in latter years which led to many employees feeling less valued

Former Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Rocky Mountaineer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Variety and challenge. Good teams of people on the ground.

Cons

Executive leadership driven by bottom line with no consideration given the the personal cost of the people working at the front line, who truly care about the guests experience.

Pay people what they are worth [not just the directors].

This company is a train wreck

Former Employee - Derailed From Good Corporate Culture
    Former Employee - Derailed From Good Corporate Culture

I worked at Rocky Mountaineer

Pros

Many years ago this company was fun and employee-oriented. Decent salaries, good communications between departments and from upper-level staff. My coworkers were like family. Friendly environment with great team.

Cons

In recent times with the new CEO the company has gone downhill. The culture changed to being concerned about profits not the employees so wages have gone down or been frozen, benefits cut. Stress because so many laid off or made redundant with no notice. Support from managers has been nil. The company has locked out +100 people from the onboard union seeking a new contract. Key people let go or sacked, left aspects of the business in shambles.

This company used to be so good! Treat employees like PEOPLE and not as a detriment to profits and pay them a fair salary.

unappreciated

Current Employee - Vacation Consultant
    Current Employee - Vacation Consultant

I have been working at Rocky Mountaineer

Pros

they do pay a decent wage with pretty good benefits

Cons

fragmented managment, everyone always wondering if and when they will be fired or let go

go back to the roots of the company culture

Seasonal Guest Services Representative for Rocky Mountaineer

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative
    Current Employee - Guest Services Representative

I have been working at Rocky Mountaineer

Pros

At the station I work at, we have a very flexible schedule. I have never had a hard time getting a day off work, or getting vacation time. We have a great team environment, because we all get along very well, I think a great deal of thought is involved in getting respectful employees.

Cons

Working my position, the maximum hours I can get in one week is 26, which is not nearly enough to pay food in shelter. So I must always have another job. Being a seasonal worker, althought I already completed 3 seasons, I have had no raise, although I have been given many more responsibilitiues. No benefits, or optional medical insurance is offered to seasonal employees.

It woul be nice to have performance reviews, so we know wheather we do a good job or not. Also, it would be great to get a raise when returning for another season, especially when we are given more responsibilities.

could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Rocky Mountaineer

Pros

My own manager is very good in that he gives people constructive feedback however he is maybe one of only seven good managers. I continue working this job because he treats us well, makes my job fun. In my job I work w/the public, and I love the people that work with me in that cappacity. Fun work environment.

Cons

My department is great, we work in an isolated place, don't have to deal w/head office types too often so its cool tho I cant say the same for other departments. In head office, there isnt another place that is so negative. The worse are the managres. Its cutthroat, managers fight for there jobs so there is loads of backstabbing & theft. I think this company has potential, bc my own boss is the best I have had, he and his assistant know what there doing, treat us respectfully, mentor us, and never fail to thank us if we did a good job. The company needs more bosses like him. COmpaints to HR about being treated badly by managers arent taken seriously. Poor pay for what we do,no benefits.

Please get rid of the bad managers. HR is useless, that needs to be revamped. Give us higher pay.