Rodale Reviews

Updated April 25, 2015
87 reviews filtered by

1. A New Day Dawns

I have been working at Rodale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is amazing. The new direction of the company is very exciting. Looking forward to what the future holds.

Cons

The old guard really must believe in the new direction of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. ok working experience.

I worked at Rodale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

life work balance was good.

Cons

Problems with communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Managers need to work on communication.

Declining business desperate to cut costs

Current Employee - Operations in Emmaus, PA
    Current Employee - Operations in Emmaus, PA

I have been working at Rodale full-time

Pros

Rodale provides access to a talented editorial team. They provide a healthy affordable cafeteria and a gym to their employees.

Cons

Leadership is ill equipped to meet current business challenges.
    Cost cutting is executed without considering long term needs.
    Management excessively caters to editorial leadership.

Advice to Management

Hire professional management, ownership is not competent to lead company.

5. I'm a freelancer, and have worked for most of Rodale's properties

Former Contractor - Freelancer in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Freelancer in New York, NY

I worked at Rodale as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

I LOVE working for Rodale. Men's Health, Women's Health, Prevention, Bicycling, Runner's World...I've never encountered anyone who wasn't down-to-earth, and a pleasure to work with. They're organized, experienced and thorough, but also relaxed. They used to pay freelancers less than industry standard, but now they actually pay more.

Cons

Their corporate HQ are in Emmaus. MH & WH (and I believe, still, Prevention) are in NYC, but you may have to go to PA for some assignments.

Advice to Management

There was one person at the top that had a reputation for being really unpleasant (I never worked with him directly), and another in an art-related department that caused a lot of turnover among some extremely talented people, but those two are long gone. My advice to management is just that you've got a great team--value them!

6. The absolutely best job I ever had. The company and managers really care for you.

I have been working at Rodale

Pros

Rodale encourages employees to be their best and bring forward ideas. While there are senior people who have been here for a while and are reluctant to change, you can still push forward for changes slowly. Great benefits and flexible work schedule--your performance is measured by your progress towards objectives.

Cons

Slow growth opportunities due to the magazine business.

Advice to Management

Increase employee engagement and clear up confusion regarding the company's financial performance.

Was part of a great team, but not a fan of how the company is run

Former Employee - Senior Layout Designer in Emmaus, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Layout Designer in Emmaus, PA

I worked at Rodale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people on my team. The cafeteria. The health center. The outside track and baseball fields. The health incentives and benefits. PTO. This could be a great company but...it's not...anymore.

Cons

Pay was terrible for the high pressure and amount of work and experience level. Upper management was very condescending and not team oriented, a lot of backstabbing. Overall this is no longer a family oriented company...they claim it is, but HR doesn't care about people at all there...HR were the angels of death". CEO and management is not in touch with it's employees and certainly doesn't seem to care about them given that every few years they do a mass layoff and reorganization of groups that work hard and make big contributions. When you herd 35 people, an entire team, into a room, out of the blue, and tell them they all have 3 months and they will be terminated, replaced by outsourcing, and if they leave they will lose any severance, and find out later it was planned for a very long time, it doesn't shout out "we love and appreciate our employees." It was a very favorites oriented type workplace too. Every week we would get an email about a new VP of something or other nonsense. Also, this company will not hire you back once you've worked there and left...not for freelance, nothing. They shun you even if you were a model employee...of course, I've heard of exceptions to this unspoken rule...see comment about favorites. If you work here long enough the rose colored glasses will come off and you will see it for what it is.

Advice to Management

Consider doing something else, because you have no clue how to manage and treat people respectfully and professionally in an unbiased, healthy and productive manner. Stop doing mass layoffs out of the blue. People that work for you work hard and they are underpaid. Unfortunately, those who have been there a while work in constant fear, regardless of how well they perform, they could be next. Hire new HR that actually cares about people. There is corruption at this company...I've seen it first hand as have many others that have come and gone over the years. You talk about being a family oriented company but you really are not, not anymore...

A sea change afoot as company scrambles to transform itself

I worked at Rodale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting business - national focus - good benefits - nice working environment - many talented colleagues - personal good health and fitness encouraged.

Cons

Leadership could be much better - penny-wise pound-foolish - not very innovative despite claims - does not provide adequate funding for key initiatives - slow to adapt, then scrambles.

Advice to Management

Don't lose focus on the core business. Better utilize and value the talent you have.

9. Marketing

I worked at Rodale (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderfully family oriented, great benefits, really excellent and approachable upper management

Cons

Unclear career path and don't help talent grow within

10. Loved working here

I have been working at Rodale full-time

Pros

Great brands to work for, and good perks, especially in Emmaus but a few in NYC too, like Pilates and a yoga room, plus fitness club reimbursement.

Everyone works pretty hard and there is a lot of turnover at the magazines especially, but there is a fun culture for the most part.

Cons

It's hard to get a promotion at times, unless you bounce around to different brands within the company.

11. Nice Company

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at Rodale as a contractor

Pros

This company values and promotes a work/life balance, which I can't say for most companies I've been a part of. I was reluctant to take a lunchtime exercise class because of the time it would take and I was encouraged and told it's part of the job. It's nice to see a media company practice what it preaches.
    Their foray into the sales world with rodales.com is interesting. It's important for magazines to diversify income and dive into new sources of revenue.

Cons

In the year I've been here, I haven't experienced a con.