Roehl Transport

3.7

Rick Roehl

Decent company

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good trucks. FM is good, office staff are pretty friendly. Will get you home when you want or need to get home.

Cons

They'll give you miles...when you ask for it, and only for a week or so, then back down to less than 2k. After hours support can sometimes be a pain in the arse. Trucks governed at 63.

Give the drivers the miles they want, or more per mile.

Good starter comoany. Pay is dismal

Current Employee - Ded GP Driver in Ellenwood, GA
    Current Employee - Ded GP Driver in Ellenwood, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good equipment, good training, gets me home pretty much on time when I ask. Pay is on time.

Cons

Nit enough miles. Planning is iffy at best. Get decent check one week then bad one the next. Work way too many hours for too little pay 50 dollars is a slap in the face for the utter bs we have to go thru to do business in Canada. Weekend dispatch sucks. Gary terminal service is aweful. Pay per mile is rediculous for work performed and hours to perform it. Love the job but cant afford the insurance and cant make my bills at this pay rate. Binuses are a joke and unobtainable. They solit hairs over detention and layiver oay. No wonder they cant keep folk

We know what the loads pay, fuel costs, and what the trucks cost, pay raises are nec and benifits need to be way better. And planners need to be more efficient. Weekend dispatch.... Nuff said

Bearable but needs some major changes made in company

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They hire right out of school. Get your starting experience here then go somewhere better. Just use them to get your experience on your record like they will use and abuse you!

Cons

Practical miles not actual lost over 600.00 in less than a year for this reason.
    Drag feet on maintenance work and push you to run anyways even when it isn't safe, have to tell them no tough sh** sometimes to get anything done.
    No pets
    Strict rider policy
    Don't ever actually listen to ideas to help drivers out no matter what idea is or who you talk to
    You are a truck number not a person.
    Never keep me busy. Tell them day or more in advance when I will be unloaded so they can plan me up and still have say a day waiting on a plan.
    They try to do anything find any technicality to not pay you detention pay
    They don't even like drivers to have their own truck GPS as a tool. They want everyone to use the one they provide but when I started they wouldn't even activate it so I got my own and then was told they don't want to have my own - hey roehl it's a tool I use to make my life and job easier and make myself a better driver for you!

Actually listen to your drivers when they try to help you make the company better.
    Give drivers flexibility we are not drones or computers we are people not a robot to turn your steering wheels!

There are cameras in the trucks

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Ellenwood, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Ellenwood, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a fantastic company sponsored CDL training program in Marshfield, Wisconsin. Classes start about every week. The company has an excellent safety record.

Cons

As a driver, I work 2-3 weeks at a time and bring home an average of $480 per week. There are cameras in the trucks. I haven't been home on time in 3+ months. The insurance and other benefits are not accessible because you aren't home on time. They only give you 2 days off instead of the promised 3. My AC/Heater breaks about once a month. The local directions are dangerously inaccurate and you are criminally liable for any accidents. Weekend dispatchers are frequently rude and incompetent.

Utilize modern technology. This isn't the 90's. Cull the Gary terminal and weekend dispatchers. A lot of drivers quit because of mistreatment.

OK for a starting job but not a company for long-term employment

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Gary, IN

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent training, good (not great) equipment, friendly and helpful co-workers

Cons

Trucks limited to 61mph, my dispatcher was terrible (no driving experience) she had no concept of geography our how we do our jobs, poor communication from Sr. mgmt., not enough freight or miles to make a living

not getting ahead considering time investing

Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

what other company offers varied hometime schedule

Cons

no matter what you do .... you won't make more than xx

one size does not fit all ....

Great Co- Workers, truly family

Former Employee - Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time

Pros

This is one of the few Trucking Companies, that I believe truly cares.
    I listened everyday to the Fleet Managers, work with their Drivers. Unbelievable Professionalism.

Cons

No Cons... EVERY Carrier faces the same challenges, dealing with Logistics issues...

Listen, and trust the Regional personnel... That know the
    Regions, and markets they work
    In.

Roehl Transport Response

Oct 8, 2014Marketing & Communications Manager

Thank you for the comments. At Roehl, we're built on values.

Overworked and Underpaid

Former Employee - Fleet Manager
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Several opportunities to make extra money working the weekend shifts.

Cons

CONSTANT MICROMANAGING and NO DIVERSITY

If you are going to continue to increase job responsibilities for fleet manager an increase in pay would be ideal. Drivers have the opportunities for raises at the end of each quarter and they only way for a Fleet Manager to advance is if someone in the higher ranking position passes away.. and if you're not a woman.

Might be a good Co. for beginners, but move on as soon as you can!

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Gary, IN

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Highly safety oriented company with pretty decent equipment (Tractors/trailers. Good facilities at many of their terminals.

Cons

Hiring on as a seasoned veteran driver, I was constantly being treated like a rookie. Dispatchers were not very helpful solving problems created by planning dept. errors. To save a few pennies you're routed on a lot of back roads (slow) and paid miles never match driven ones! I think they stretch a string over a map, and compare it to the map scale. NOT very realistic!!

Wise up! Start listening to your drivers (they're the ones that make you money!) I see the same negative comments repeatedly! Your routing SUCKS!

A good company with a few serious flaws

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Roehl is dedicated to safety and maintaining their equipment. They will work with drivers who request additional training; such as backing and tight quarters maneuvering. They will also work to try and get you home when you request.

The pay seems competitive with other companies and the dispatchers (aka fleet managers) are generally helpful and considerate.

Cons

I drive a flatbed and find that the amount of time it takes for load securement and tarping is not worth the additional two cents per mile. Roehl expects their drivers to follow their routing, but the process is defective. The driver receives a list of cryptic instructions through the truck PC. This route is supposed to be transcribed to paper and then followed. The truck is equiped with a GPS that the company can use to determine where you are.

Trying to read these instructions in heavy traffic and/or in the dark is dangerous. Why they do not take advantage of the existing technology and tell the driver when s/he needs to turn and which lane to be in would be a great improvement.

Take better advantage of the GPS technology to help drivers instead of using it to ding drivers when they get off route.

The quality of some of the trainers that new drivers are hooked up with leaves something to be desired. I cannot say more on this forum without revealing who I and the trainer I am speaking are...