Roehl Transport

Updated February 15, 2015
Updated February 15, 2015
3.3

Rick Roehl

Pros
  • Excellent home time, good miles, I get between 2200 and 3500 average (in 3 reviews)

• I listened everyday to the Fleet Managers, work with their Drivers (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I haven't been home on time in 3 (in 2 reviews)

• The driver receives a list of cryptic instructions through the truck PC (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Company was great for a starter to long term

Former Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - OTR Flatbed Driver in Gary, IN

I worked at Roehl Transport

Pros

Safety was their main concern,, kept me busy which makes money.. very organized,,, Training was very complete

Cons

Were not flexible as stated from moving from flatbed to Van divisions.
    Were quick to judge you for a ticket of accident that may not have been your fault.

Should be a little nicer when you speak of concerns or problems your having with different department within the organization... there attitude is its always the drivers fault.
    Paricualary the Safety and Compliance Dept. run by a female SS officer.

great starter company

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Ellenwood, GA
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Ellenwood, GA

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When starting from school this is a great place to get you on your way . The school they provide is one of the best. I found my own near home but the offered tuition reimbursement and their OTR training is not a lengthy one . I was out about 10 or 11 days then I was sent home or 3 days so home time was not bad for a newbie . Health benefits were the best i have seen and the cheapest premiums... Fleet mgr and all other office staff was polite and easy to talk to most of the time . The only reason I stayed for the year that I did was because of the other drivers ... The drivers became a family after from home .

Cons

Over micro-manage the drivers and Scrutinized everything the driver does (new and seasoned). Fleet managers lie and tell the drivers anything to get them off the phone . My biggest reason for leaving after a year with Roehl was when I was empty and sat with no plan for over 5 hrs ( witch happened a lot ) or more like 8+ hrs. Weekends and nights were the worst to get a hold of someone or anyone . I waited on hold several times after 5 pm for 30 + mins. before I just hung up and did what I felt best , then dealt with management in the a.m. You are sitting and wasting your clock most of the time . I was out 14 days and home 2 my choice and after they taxed the crap outta my check I never saw more then half of my earnings . I was national and stayed in the north east and I live in the mid south so I would dead head over 100 miles almost every home time . A common complaint from drivers I feel was lack of communication and respect from the office staff.

The planners and customer service need to be revamped . The maintenance department in almost every terminal needs to be fired and qualified techs . ( MINUS Marshfield ) Preventable cost should not include MUD FLAPS or damaged equipment while parked at the safe place , if the damaged was caused by a different driver . Communication between the planners and the drivers with directions needs improvement.

Where did they pay go?

I worked at Roehl Transport

Pros

safety is always, always first.

Cons

fleet manager tried to dictate breaks, take control of truck, and would try to have push with low low low or no hours.

drivers drive the trucks

Best place I found to work.

Current Employee - Instructor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

what I like the most is that you are treated as a person and not just a number .Roehl has the best home time I have seen in the industry and everyone wants to see the driver succeed ,also there training program is second to none as far as I'm concerned. The opportunities are unless at Roehl , If you are hired as a driver and want to move up in the company. Roehl will give you the opportunity to do so.

Cons

It is what it is .this is trucking.

Great Company

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is lots of room for personal and career growth. Roehl has great company values and is very involved in the local community.

Cons

Vacation time is light for the most tenured employees.

Continue to improve policy and process. People have lots of great ideas and I love to see that Roehl is soliciting feedback continuously.

Micromanage to dead

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Charleston, SC

I worked at Roehl Transport

Pros

Their equipment are in good condition. Not having someone over your shoulders while doing your job. The opportunity to travel.

Cons

They try to micromanage everything instead of letting professional drivers do our job. If they are wrong they never take responsibility but always places blame on driver. They have no respect for the people who are the life blood of their business.

Please fix the above issues.

Information Technology Group

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time

Pros

Great team to work with
    Management cares about employees and the future growth of team
    Learning opportunities encouraged

Cons

Small team, frequent on call support

Be more transparent as to company goals

Hiring process

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport

Pros

Not much I can say that is pro

Cons

Very rude recruiters in Atlanta where I went junk equipment to take road test in food they give for lunch 1/2 a sandwich n bag chips. No drink if you asked about it they said your lucky to get that/I decided I didn't
    Want to work for people that treat you like a dog b4your hired

You will never keep good drivers by lieing/don't say your going to get things and then say well you have to do this n that to qualify for it that is misleading I wasted 2days of my time for nothing but grief fyi I have 25years experience/and excellent job record

Good starter company

Former Employee - OTR Driver, Dry Van in Ellenwood, GA
    Former Employee - OTR Driver, Dry Van in Ellenwood, GA

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They were great with miles once I started, benefits were reasonable, routes were clear, and well planned

Cons

After about six months, planning routes became something that the planners couldn't seem to handle properly. Loads were placed on me when I didn't have the hours to complete them safely and I was forced by dispatch to accept these loads. I needed my truck fixed, though there were several small things wrong with it at first, that number quickly grew, and the trailers were poorly maintained.

Get some planners that know how to plan for current routes, included restricted roads, and hopefully they'll be able to communicate with the fleet managers to keep the drivers rolling safely.

It Sucked

I worked at Roehl Transport

Pros

people are real friendly during orenatation

Cons

they won't help you

I just graduated from school, they brought me to a terminal, we was told we had 7 days with them before hired. 2 days later after being there, they gave us all an evaluation. Unfortunately I didn't pass because according to the instructor he said I hit the curb witch I didnt, he also said I used improper lane change and grinded a little bit. Which I did because I'm right out of school but I'm showing improvement , so they failed me , sent me home and I had to find my own way. Also told me I can call a recruitor and go to there school it will cost me and I would have to sign a 1 year contract