Roehl Transport

Updated January 16, 2015
Updated January 16, 2015
3.2

Rick Roehl

Best place I found to work.

Current Employee - Instructor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

what I like the most is that you are treated as a person and not just a number .Roehl has the best home time I have seen in the industry and everyone wants to see the driver succeed ,also there training program is second to none as far as I'm concerned. The opportunities are unless at Roehl , If you are hired as a driver and want to move up in the company. Roehl will give you the opportunity to do so.

Cons

It is what it is .this is trucking.

Great Company

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is lots of room for personal and career growth. Roehl has great company values and is very involved in the local community.

Cons

Vacation time is light for the most tenured employees.

Continue to improve policy and process. People have lots of great ideas and I love to see that Roehl is soliciting feedback continuously.

Micromanage to dead

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Charleston, SC

I worked at Roehl Transport

Pros

Their equipment are in good condition. Not having someone over your shoulders while doing your job. The opportunity to travel.

Cons

They try to micromanage everything instead of letting professional drivers do our job. If they are wrong they never take responsibility but always places blame on driver. They have no respect for the people who are the life blood of their business.

Please fix the above issues.

Information Technology Group

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time

Pros

Great team to work with
    Management cares about employees and the future growth of team
    Learning opportunities encouraged

Cons

Small team, frequent on call support

Be more transparent as to company goals

Hiring process

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport

Pros

Not much I can say that is pro

Cons

Very rude recruiters in Atlanta where I went junk equipment to take road test in food they give for lunch 1/2 a sandwich n bag chips. No drink if you asked about it they said your lucky to get that/I decided I didn't
    Want to work for people that treat you like a dog b4your hired

You will never keep good drivers by lieing/don't say your going to get things and then say well you have to do this n that to qualify for it that is misleading I wasted 2days of my time for nothing but grief fyi I have 25years experience/and excellent job record

Good starter company

Former Employee - OTR Driver, Dry Van in Ellenwood, GA
    Former Employee - OTR Driver, Dry Van in Ellenwood, GA

I worked at Roehl Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They were great with miles once I started, benefits were reasonable, routes were clear, and well planned

Cons

After about six months, planning routes became something that the planners couldn't seem to handle properly. Loads were placed on me when I didn't have the hours to complete them safely and I was forced by dispatch to accept these loads. I needed my truck fixed, though there were several small things wrong with it at first, that number quickly grew, and the trailers were poorly maintained.

Get some planners that know how to plan for current routes, included restricted roads, and hopefully they'll be able to communicate with the fleet managers to keep the drivers rolling safely.

It Sucked

I worked at Roehl Transport

Pros

people are real friendly during orenatation

Cons

they won't help you

I just graduated from school, they brought me to a terminal, we was told we had 7 days with them before hired. 2 days later after being there, they gave us all an evaluation. Unfortunately I didn't pass because according to the instructor he said I hit the curb witch I didnt, he also said I used improper lane change and grinded a little bit. Which I did because I'm right out of school but I'm showing improvement , so they failed me , sent me home and I had to find my own way. Also told me I can call a recruitor and go to there school it will cost me and I would have to sign a 1 year contract

Good starter comoany. Pay is dismal

Current Employee - Ded GP Driver in Ellenwood, GA
    Current Employee - Ded GP Driver in Ellenwood, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good equipment, good training, gets me home pretty much on time when I ask. Pay is on time.

Cons

Nit enough miles. Planning is iffy at best. Get decent check one week then bad one the next. Work way too many hours for too little pay 50 dollars is a slap in the face for the utter bs we have to go thru to do business in Canada. Weekend dispatch sucks. Gary terminal service is aweful. Pay per mile is rediculous for work performed and hours to perform it. Love the job but cant afford the insurance and cant make my bills at this pay rate. Binuses are a joke and unobtainable. They solit hairs over detention and layiver oay. No wonder they cant keep folk

We know what the loads pay, fuel costs, and what the trucks cost, pay raises are nec and benifits need to be way better. And planners need to be more efficient. Weekend dispatch.... Nuff said

Bearable but needs some major changes made in company

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They hire right out of school. Get your starting experience here then go somewhere better. Just use them to get your experience on your record like they will use and abuse you!

Cons

Practical miles not actual lost over 600.00 in less than a year for this reason.
    Drag feet on maintenance work and push you to run anyways even when it isn't safe, have to tell them no tough sh** sometimes to get anything done.
    No pets
    Strict rider policy
    Don't ever actually listen to ideas to help drivers out no matter what idea is or who you talk to
    You are a truck number not a person.
    Never keep me busy. Tell them day or more in advance when I will be unloaded so they can plan me up and still have say a day waiting on a plan.
    They try to do anything find any technicality to not pay you detention pay
    They don't even like drivers to have their own truck GPS as a tool. They want everyone to use the one they provide but when I started they wouldn't even activate it so I got my own and then was told they don't want to have my own - hey roehl it's a tool I use to make my life and job easier and make myself a better driver for you!

Actually listen to your drivers when they try to help you make the company better.
    Give drivers flexibility we are not drones or computers we are people not a robot to turn your steering wheels!

There are cameras in the trucks

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Ellenwood, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver - Dry Van National in Ellenwood, GA

I have been working at Roehl Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They have a fantastic company sponsored CDL training program in Marshfield, Wisconsin. Classes start about every week. The company has an excellent safety record.

Cons

As a driver, I work 2-3 weeks at a time and bring home an average of $480 per week. There are cameras in the trucks. I haven't been home on time in 3+ months. The insurance and other benefits are not accessible because you aren't home on time. They only give you 2 days off instead of the promised 3. My AC/Heater breaks about once a month. The local directions are dangerously inaccurate and you are criminally liable for any accidents. Weekend dispatchers are frequently rude and incompetent.

Utilize modern technology. This isn't the 90's. Cull the Gary terminal and weekend dispatchers. A lot of drivers quit because of mistreatment.