Rogers Communications

Rogers Communications Reviews in Canada

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Rogers Communications President and CEO Guy Laurence

Guy Laurence

Pros
  • Good benefits, defined benefit pension plan, 50% discount on all services(in 45 reviews)

• Rogers offers flexibility, work life balance and great benefits(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be challenging but mostly it's a personal choice vs(in 35 reviews)

• Cost cutting and layoffs have caused the rest of the resources to be overworked with no work life balance(in 10 reviews)

509 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Dealership store, it was okay

ProsThere is a lot of freedom on how you want to approach your customers. Flexible scheduling.

ConsSince it is a dealership store, there is limited growth opportunities. You can become a store manager, but thats about it. Chances are slimmer now because they're downsizing. Commission was good at first, but as time goes, they changed commission structures or limited the amount of money you can earn by indirectly lowerly the profit margin you can earn on each product and plan. No recognitions whatsoever, even if you re top sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementI advise Rogers to buy back more dealerships because there is no vision in dealership and too many miscommunications between dealers and corporate.

Great benefits, decent pay great shares program

Retention Consultant (Current Employee) Pickering, ON (Canada)

ProsBenefits, pay, shares, good bonuses. Lots of of locations and opportunities to move around to other departments.

ConsComplicated systems, poor training for third party reps makes internal reps jobs harder. Outside Internet blocked hard to research certain things.

Advice to Senior ManagementMircomanaging stirs good people away. Very demanding in expectations. Everything down to the words you use for certain things is managed. Too many extra system keep being added.

Poor leadership

Business Account Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGood commission (when they pay it), good intro job to B2B sales

ConsPoor leadership, change is constant and employees compensation gets tampered with in the process, poor career development

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a plan before making changes. It is completely wrong to play with peoples compensation plans and keep them out of the loop. Learn to create efficiency and improve tools. Lead by strategizing, not creating unattainable metrics that are created without thought

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stagnant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe salary is decent by Canadian standards.

ConsThe organization is pretty stagnant and somewhat political.

Rogers is a bittersweet company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Fairly good salary
    - Mostly good co-workers
    - Subsidized gym
    - Decent benefits
    - Flexibility for medical appointments

Cons- Raises are poor - 2% for the past 2 years in spite of excellent performance reviews. Blamed on Sales not meeting budget even though my position was not in Sales.
    - Constantly behind the 8 ball in keeping up with industry trends.
    - Constant state of flux as department implements changes to resolve major pitfalls that are holding us back from success and giving us a bad reputation.
    - Regular unpaid overtime due to being overloaded and pressure to still meet deadlines and existing projects simultaneously.
    - Ultimately Sales gets their way in disputes with AdOps even when they are blatantly wrong.

Advice to Senior Management- Consider all departments when choosing tools shared by multiple departments (sales, finance, AdOps, etc.)
    - Hire more AdOps.
    - Give proper raises for a job well done. It will ultimately cost you less due to increased employee retention.

Good pay, crazy hours

Team Leader (Current Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsGood culture, good pay and benefits. Good career opportunities, if you are willing to work like there is no tomorrow

ConsOverworked, crazy hours, no work life balance at all, despite being a private company, there is still red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more worklife balance

Project management

Project Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, PE (Canada)

ProsThere is an outward appearance of teamwork employees support and development. The policies are squeaky clean and there is much opportunity to improve yourself personally and within your field and expertise.

ConsThere are too many people within an even distribution of power and responsibility also themselves under pressure to make decisions and keep the ball rolling. As with most large corporations there is an undercurrent of insecurity and a culture of blame.
    In practice at the senior levels there is an inordinate amount of emphasis on accountability and liability which can consume 50% of the work week. 25% coverage processes within an below one level and 25% handing off directors responsibility and ownership to levels above
    At times it seems impossible to get your work done without working twice as hard for half as much return.
    Too many good talented people wearing many hats managing concentric overlapping responsibilities without the tools required in a timely manner or enough support from personnel to expedite for truly see a project through to fruition before. senior members take ownership for overwrite initiatives in order to maintain or map out their personal agendas

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a huge issue of accountability and tracking the cost and resources in order to be accountable for the shareholder and the individuals that hold the reins of the company things to be more transparency in the decision-making process
    Just designing mandates to facilitate equitable practices or better utilization of resources is not necessarily an effective way to get the same out of people
    There is more effort put into the processes to get people to work and actually getting the people to become part of the process and take ownership.
    Streamline the overcomplicated processes that keep the day-to-day business running
    Just developing health initiatives personal interaction and teambuilding events does not mystery create a healthy workforce there should be more liberty for people to make decisions at all levels of the company

Was sad to go

Publishing (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat company. Dynamic environment. There are such lengthy and passionate reviews because people at Rogers (in Media specifically) really care about the company, their co-workers, their career (it means more to most than a job). I LOVED my job and my tenure with Rogers. I have had amazing support from colleagues, mentors and managers. I was given a tremendous opportunity to work on a key brand under leaders who were open to thinking big. I have developed deep and lasting friendships with many of my former colleagues.

ConsIt has been a turbulent 2-3 years for media and especially magazines. There have been numerous attempts to restructure in anticipation of ever changing business needs in a volatile market which is difficult on employees and morale. It is still a business in flux.

I don't think the negative reviews are disgruntled employees as much as they are hopeful for change. People want to highlight what they see as wrong hoping it gets fixed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood people are a company's biggest asset. Jobs may be replaceable, but people aren't.

Great for HR

Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsWork life balance
    Interesting work

ConsExtremely competitive
    People go behind each other's backs (more so than a regular company)

Great people and great rewards

ProsInnovative and dynamique environment and great people

ConsWork / life balance

Worked for Rogers Communications? Contribute to the Community!