Rogers Communications

Rogers Communications Reviews in Canada

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Rogers Communications President and CEO Guy Laurence

Guy Laurence

Pros
  • Good benefits, defined benefit pension plan, 50% discount on all services(in 44 reviews)

• Rogers offers flexibility, work life balance and great benefits(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be challenging but mostly it's a personal choice vs(in 33 reviews)

• Cost cutting and layoffs have caused the rest of the resources to be overworked with no work life balance(in 10 reviews)

468 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great employer, horrible management

Customer Relations Consultant (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsDiscounts on Rogers products and services

ConsLack of leadership, pay, and work/life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your leaders and managers in the basics of customer service, mentoring, and people management.

Rogers provides an environment of competitiveness and of winning with innovation

Director (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsRogers has great benefits including a gym and focus on employee wellness.

ConsRogers does things to innovate well but sometimes missed the boat on customer satisfaction relentlessly pursuing profit goals at the expense of our biggest shareholders...our customers. Greater investment is required to promote the right people from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your employees. Train them. Believe in the advice. They have the best suggestions.

Good work/Life Balance

Distribution Account Representative (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood flexibility in setting schedule...excellent work life balance. Great lower level management. New Ceo is bringing an air of change to the company

ConsCould be more focused on customer and their needs. Company could take better advantage of their varied businesses to offer a more complete value proposition to customers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BCR Wireline Hybrid

BCR Wireline Hybrid (Current Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsExcellent opportunity for advancement. Managers are very easy to talk to and office morale is GREAT. Love my job and my customers.

ConsYou have to master the systems on your own. Too many technical system issues resulting in lost sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be best if we had the opportunity to work more closely with the IT team internally so that when a system upgrade is done it does not impact our ability to make and close sales.

Satisfying place to work.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat group of people to work with.

ConsOpportunities are limited outside of Toronto.

Rogers TV - Great Place to Work.....Horrible Local Management!

Pros- Amazing place to work! Great team of people and a great culture!
    - New Equipment and constantly upgrading older equipment
    - Working with Members of the Public and High School Volunteers/Co-ops

Cons- Lower Level Management does not have any idea how to run a community television station. Many staff are very unhappy with certain managers.
    - Overtime is paid in "Lue Time".....if you ever get the chance to take it.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider doing an internal employee review/evaluation to evaluate how Station Managers & Supervising Producers are doing.

Pleasant environment to work in.

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

Pros- Lots of bright and experienced Network Engineers

Cons- Big place /company to work in.
    - Too many people, too many groups.
    - Conference calls that should take only 15 mins and 4 people to sort out sometimes takes 2 hours and 30 people.

Advice to Senior Management- Focus more on customer service.

Advertising Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsStrong portfolio of assets to take to the market with some of the best media brands in Canada across print, TV, radio and digital platforms. Great people to work with and excellent benefits including generous health, cable/wireless/ticket discounts and paid time off. Very good communication from management on new initiatives within the company.

ConsNew management always brings a revised approach which results in a revolving door at many levels. Regular waves of layoffs to accommodate the incoming structure keep staff unsure of where they really stand. HR process seem to be designed to foster career progression but rarely translates into actual career progression resulting in employee departures as they seek the role they are after at other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at existing staff to promote from within before seeking out external candidates. Increase investment in training, revisit approach to out-of-reach target setting to help provide a comp plan that motivates sales staff to perform and get compensated so that they stay around longer.

Great company in transition

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat colleagues to work with
    Employee benefits

ConsCurrent state of changes not clear and taking too long creating alot of uncertainity

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over with the change process and start building again

Current CSR, 6+ years, Stressful Work Environment, Under Appreciated

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

Pros-50% off services discount
    -Partial benefits for part time employees.
    -Flexible schedule (if your manager is decent, most rely on the automated scheduling system).
    -Amazing coworkers (personally)

Cons-Highly stressful working environment. Customers no longer want to deal with the call centers due to long wait times or poor / incorrect information. A lot of Customers outright refuse to speak to a Rep on the phone and come straight to the stores.
    All too often do Customers spend hours on the phone on hold being transferred from one department to the next to the next, gathering more frustration and anger, only to hang up and come to the store to vent to us in person.
    Some speak to the call centres, are given incorrect information and sent to the stores where the Sales Reps have to set the Customer straight, often leading to more frustration about being given the runaround and now not knowing who to believe or if anyone who works for Rogers knows how to do their job.
    -Employees in store are not valued at all. We are expected to be Jack of all Trades in our knowledge of all products, all services, all promotions, all PREVIOUS products and services, all devices, all prices of products and services, billing information and details and technical support. Call centre reps (in most departments) are trained in their own specific department only. Anything outside of their department and they transfer their Customer off to someone else. A Customer could easily speak to 4 or 5 different people, all with different answers, before hanging up and coming to the store anyway.
    -The Company appointed websites and links to assist us with references for our jobs don't work half the time resulting in frustrated Employees and Customers alike.
    -The Company likes to release new programs and policies before they have been tested. The Customers become the guinea pigs.
    -Customer Service Rep pay is deplorable. For someone who has put in seven years working for Rogers, a brand new Employee makes 12 cents an hour less.
    Aside from a gift card (which can only be redeemed for Rogers products!) once every 5 years, no matter how outstanding, Sales Reps get zero recognition. Most Reps don't make it that long resulting in high Employee overturn and therefor more new Employees who are undertrained and unknowledgeable. Those of us who have been Rogers Employees for a while are under appreciated.
    I have been with Rogers through two minimum wage increases. Both of my yearly raises were eliminated by it and it was only through the grace of my current Manager that it didn't happen a third time this year when minimum went to $11/hour.
    -The Company is way too far behind on their goals. The Service Reps in store have known for years that the Company needs to focus on retaining existing, loyal Customers. Now that the company has FINALLY made the shift to that goal, our commission pay for everything else has plumeted since it's no longer the goal of the Company. We have to pay for the Company's incompetence.
    -Micromanaging Managers is a huge problem. Head Office points the finger at Area Managers. Area Managers then point their finger at Store Managers, etc. Rather than encouraging their Managers to be leaders out on the floor with their Reps, they pull them into conference calls for HOURS every week, telling them they need to sell more, motivate their Employees more, follow up with their Employees, have recorded meetings with each Employee at the beginning of every shift to set out their goals for that day. It's all talk, no leadership!
    -Head Office has zero organizational skills and way too much money to burn. Our store has gone through one major renovation and one major store move. The amount of people sent from the Company to do one menial job, leave, then come back a week or two later to do another job that could have been done the same day is staggering.

Advice to Senior Management-Appreciate "working staff". The more monetary restraint put on us, the less "customer service" people will recieve.
    The base pay for Service Reps is dispicable for what is expected of us.
    Reps are pushing a specific phone to people because there happens to be a commission spiff on that model that month, even though it is completely wrong for their Customer, resulting in a potential clawback for the Rep and a frustrated Customer who feels taken.
    There are very few of us working for the Company now who put people before profit. Anyone new with the Company quickly learns that if you want to be able to pay your own bills every month, it's profit before people.
    That's exactly what Ted Rogers was against!
    I was really hoping with this new CEO now that things would change. So far, they haven't. Other than the fact that I now make less money on things I DO sell.
    Wherever Rogers Head Office can cut money to put more in their pockets - they will. And it usually comes from us.
    -The Company needs to listen to it's "little people". We have more of an idea of what's going on, what's trending, what's a good change to implement and what's very very bad than the Company realizes.
    We may not have a piece of paper that says we know about good business, but we certainly have the experience!
    -Not all stores are created equal. Some are in downtown city central. Some are in smaller rural areas. You cannot group the two together and demand to know why the smaller stores don't have comparable sales.
    -Fear does not motivate! Negative reinforcement does not motivate!
    Appreciate your long-term Employees for the work we have put in and the knowledge we have accumulated!

Worked for Rogers Communications? Contribute to the Community!