Rogers Communications

Updated October 16, 2014
3.2

Rogers Communications President and CEO Guy Laurence
Guy Laurence

Pros
  • 1- very good Work-Life Balance and people are generally respectful (in 27 reviews)

• You can expect very good benefits and other fringe bonuses associated with a large company (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be challenging but mostly it's a personal choice vs (in 37 reviews)

• With any customer service job, you can expect some chunky percentile of your client (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

597 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

I have been working at Rogers Communications

Pros

The company has good health & dental benefits (90% reimbursement for prescription drugs, medical & dental expenses for full-time employees). The company also offers 50% discount on the majority of products and services. I found to have quite a few opportunities of personal growth, but I would say that will probably depend the department you work for.

Cons

The downside lately there have been quite a few cuts, but I guess a lot of companies are going through the same issues.

Excellent and flexible employee experience

I have been working at Rogers Communications part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The regional management is outstanding and they spend a lot of time developing all tenured and new staff to be the best they can be
    Outstanding benefits including share accumulation plans, pension and great discouts on services
    A great corporate environment that fosters accountability and development
    Great structure
    Flexible working hours in all stores and great opportunities to move regionally

Cons

The stores are very busy and hours can be long but that is the nature of retail. A lot of people have worked their way up so they understand though.

Keep on developing us!

Great people, company itself has it's ups and downs.

Current Employee - Customer Services Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Services Representative in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Rogers Communications part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You'll generally have a great time with your co-workers; the few that aren't so great don't tend to stick around very long. Especially as a part-time job during my University years it was fun to hang out with people around my age at work. You'll find a variety of good, sociable and generally competent people that are fine to work with.

Scheduling was very flexible and the managers were more than happy to try and schedule around birthdays, sickness, class, etc.

Great Health and Dental benefits, an Employee Share Purchase plan which is quite good and 50% off your (regularly priced) services. The benefits are actually very good, can't really ask for more from an entry level job.

Pay is quite good: minimum wage + commissions with a yearly wage rate increase (though small). I was clearing $1500/month doing part-time (20-23) hours a week. Holidays and back to school times especially were when the awesome paycheques came in.

For management, it depends entirely on your store. The location I worked at had relaxed and friendly managers who knew the products, were happy to help you with a sale or answer your questions and overall were fantastic to work for. They were helpful in coaching your bad behaviors and nuturing your good ones and giving you advice to help your sales numbers.

Cons

System crashes. The Rogers systems are embarassingly bad; every time there's an update things go down the toilet and you're unable to do the simplest things like switching out SIM cards or swapping defective cable equipment. When the systems work they're much slower than they should be and don't always work 100% which is terrible.

There is a distinct lack of power to do anything as a front liner; you can't send out techs, can't issue credits, can't cut a deal on services. These are the three things you'll hear the most about and all you can do is shrug and tell them to call the ROGERS1 number or hand them the phone so they can call in store.

Training as a new employee mostly takes place through a series of informational and interactive videos called Fast Tracks that, you guessed it, are slow and crash more often than they work. You'll spend your time sitting at a computer watching a video about an old phone that Rogers no longer carries and ignoring stares from customers who expect you to help them despite the clear "IN TRAINING" tag on your shirt.

Of course it's a Retail job as well so you're going to be dealing with all the people who come in. Be prepared to hear how Rogers screwed them and they're going to Bell, or how they want credits or free phones or whatever other manner of ridiculousness and entitlement they can come up with.

Upper management is out of touch with the going ons of the stores and only care about sales numbers. Productivity grinds to a halt when the Area Managers come around as the store has to be 100% clean and organized and run with a Host who gets in the way more than anything. Need help? Too bad, the Manager is busy getting reamed by the Area Managers in the back because your attach rates aren't up to snuff. Lineups? Well you only have 3 employees on the floor and one of them HAS to Host; no helping customers for them. God forbid you get someone who wants a hardware upgrade because the line grinds to a halt and people get irritated while the only other person who can help people is tied up listening to billing troubles that they have no power to help with. All the while there are managers in the back who can't come help because they have to entertain the Area Manager.

Area Managers: unless you're coming to Host or help out with the line, stay away and don't come around. You can ream the managers over the phone without massively harming our productivity and morale.

Managers: keep doing what you're doing. You guys are awesome and a big part of why working for Rogers is a good time.

I am working as Senior Network Planner for Rogers Communication for last 8 years.

Current Employee - Network Planner in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Network Planner in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Rogers Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good stable job. Average salary and I am satisfied with all benefits (vacation, health etc)

Cons

No chance of promotion. Canada is a very small market for telecom professionals.

More training opportunities for employees professional growth and promotion opportunities need to be created.

Good working place with different people. The language tolerance is better than other place.

I spent lots of time.

Former Employee - Platform Specialist in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Platform Specialist in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Rogers Communications as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work under press and good pay, and it is best place to meet different people come from different counties.

It is really a multi-culture company.

Cons

Time and priority issue. There is no training for contractor, but many training for full-time employee.

That is much better than small companies.

Give different people different task and salary.

got more experience

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Rogers Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Had great times at work

Cons

I don't have something to say because for short period

Senior Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Rogers Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1- very good Work-Life Balance and people are generally respectful
    2- very good benefits comparing to other companies (Shares plan, Pension plan, Medical Benefits)

Cons

1- No Orientation for new employees which lead to more time to let them catch up

Help your employees to catch up quickly and grow easily

Billing Analyst

Former Employee - Billing Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Billing Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Rogers Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I like Rogers because I had a good work,life balance and lots of in house training.

Cons

Management was not helpful in promoting their employees and not helpful with their employees objectives.

Management could have been more involved with their staff to meet the objectives of the company.

Innovation and dynamic

I worked at Rogers Communications full-time

Pros

Great people and benefits. The advancement is there if you would like to.

Cons

Too many changes and work life balance is pratically non-exsistent.

Good at the start but ended badly

I have been working at Rogers Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary
    Good benefits
    Diverse
    Good stepping stone if you are just starting your career

Cons

Irregular hours and work days.
    The company is starting to get rid of most of the long time employees in favor of new employees with lower salaries.
    Our entire group is sadly a victim of this so called corporate restructuring.

To Guy Laurence,
    Getting rid of your most efficient and hardworking front line people is not corporate restructuring. It is a short term cost-savings move that will greatly affect your front line customer service/technical support performance.

To all that still work there,
    Don't wait for Rogers to kick you out, build up your career and look for another company that actually appreciates the contribution you make. I now start to believe that Rogers is just now all about money. Never about its customers and its employees.

Rogers Communications Photos