Rogers Communications

Updated August 28, 2014

3.2

Rogers Communications President and CEO Guy Laurence
Guy Laurence

Pros
  • Good benefits, defined benefit pension plan, 50% discount on all services (in 45 reviews)

• Rogers offers flexibility, work life balance and great benefits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be challenging but mostly it's a personal choice vs (in 35 reviews)

• Cost cutting and layoffs have caused the rest of the resources to be overworked with no work life balance (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

545 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Satisfying place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Rogers Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great group of people to work with.

Cons

Opportunities are limited outside of Toronto.

Great Company Culture

Current Employee - Web Designer  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Web Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Rogers Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Peaceful and friendly working environment.

Cons

I can not think of anything.

Keep up the good work

BCR Wireline Hybrid

Current Employee - BCR Wireline Hybrid  in  Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - BCR Wireline Hybrid in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Rogers Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent opportunity for advancement. Managers are very easy to talk to and office morale is GREAT. Love my job and my customers.

Cons

You have to master the systems on your own. Too many technical system issues resulting in lost sales.

It would be best if we had the opportunity to work more closely with the IT team internally so that when a system upgrade is done it does not impact our ability to make and close sales.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

one flew over the cuckoo's nest

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Rogers Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is so hard to write the pros. If you are working there, you are employed (big pro). You get paid on-time, as promised (another big pro).

Cons

You seriously have to be a tool to be in management at Rogers. (And prematurely balding or greying is a big career booster.) Reporting to management are mid level yes men whose sole responsibility is to make their direct boss look good internally. They can spin a positive story with any numbers. 2k over 1k is 100% improvement but it is still a sucky result.

Get rid of the fools. They are easy to spot if they have a Pres, SVP, or VP title. And at least half the Directors too.

Once very promising

Former Employee - Director Sales  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Rogers Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I joined the company believing anything was possible. There was so much to be excited about: positive atmosphere, great campus, outstanding resources, fair pay, interesting products.

Cons

Majority of VPs (and higher) hired and promoted are men. Some with obviously less experience than their female counterparts. True of some companies but more pronounced at Rogers. It has become more noticeable in the past 3-4 years as the company has had consistent layoffs. Many chosen to be laid off have been ambitious, hard working, smart, out spoken women. The route to succeed as a woman, it was often said, was to keep your head down, create as little waves as possible. Even if that meant working at only 50% rather than 110%. I tried it and it resulted in a promotion! But I did not have the same pride in myself, in my work, in my job. It robbed my spirit. I chose to leave.

According to public information, there is 1 female member (9%), who is non-family, sitting on the Board of Directors. There is 1 female member (7%) on the Senior Leadership Team. Zero female Presidents. That is extremely low for a leading diversified Canadian communcations and media company.

For the sake of Rogers corporate performance and shareholder returns, don't ignore 50% of the population. Women are the main consumers of Rogers products and services. Reevaluate and truly consider hiring and promoting a cross-section of high-potential women for leadership roles. Rogers has the potential to be great again. To be relevant, innovative & bold it needs to do things differently and shed its reputation for being a dowdy, out-of-touch boys club.

Advertising Sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Rogers Communications full-time

Pros

Strong portfolio of assets to take to the market with some of the best media brands in Canada across print, TV, radio and digital platforms. Great people to work with and excellent benefits including generous health, cable/wireless/ticket discounts and paid time off. Very good communication from management on new initiatives within the company.

Cons

New management always brings a revised approach which results in a revolving door at many levels. Regular waves of layoffs to accommodate the incoming structure keep staff unsure of where they really stand. HR process seem to be designed to foster career progression but rarely translates into actual career progression resulting in employee departures as they seek the role they are after at other companies.

Look at existing staff to promote from within before seeking out external candidates. Increase investment in training, revisit approach to out-of-reach target setting to help provide a comp plan that motivates sales staff to perform and get compensated so that they stay around longer.

Current CSR, 6+ years, Stressful Work Environment, Under Appreciated

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Rogers Communications part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-50% off services discount
    -Partial benefits for part time employees.
    -Flexible schedule (if your manager is decent, most rely on the automated scheduling system).
    -Amazing coworkers (personally)

Cons

-Highly stressful working environment. Customers no longer want to deal with the call centers due to long wait times or poor / incorrect information. A lot of Customers outright refuse to speak to a Rep on the phone and come straight to the stores.
    All too often do Customers spend hours on the phone on hold being transferred from one department to the next to the next, gathering more frustration and anger, only to hang up and come to the store to vent to us in person.
    Some speak to the call centres, are given incorrect information and sent to the stores where the Sales Reps have to set the Customer straight, often leading to more frustration about being given the runaround and now not knowing who to believe or if anyone who works for Rogers knows how to do their job.
    -Employees in store are not valued at all. We are expected to be Jack of all Trades in our knowledge of all products, all services, all promotions, all PREVIOUS products and services, all devices, all prices of products and services, billing information and details and technical support. Call centre reps (in most departments) are trained in their own specific department only. Anything outside of their department and they transfer their Customer off to someone else. A Customer could easily speak to 4 or 5 different people, all with different answers, before hanging up and coming to the store anyway.
    -The Company appointed websites and links to assist us with references for our jobs don't work half the time resulting in frustrated Employees and Customers alike.
    -The Company likes to release new programs and policies before they have been tested. The Customers become the guinea pigs.
    -Customer Service Rep pay is deplorable. For someone who has put in seven years working for Rogers, a brand new Employee makes 12 cents an hour less.
    Aside from a gift card (which can only be redeemed for Rogers products!) once every 5 years, no matter how outstanding, Sales Reps get zero recognition. Most Reps don't make it that long resulting in high Employee overturn and therefor more new Employees who are undertrained and unknowledgeable. Those of us who have been Rogers Employees for a while are under appreciated.
    I have been with Rogers through two minimum wage increases. Both of my yearly raises were eliminated by it and it was only through the grace of my current Manager that it didn't happen a third time this year when minimum went to $11/hour.
    -The Company is way too far behind on their goals. The Service Reps in store have known for years that the Company needs to focus on retaining existing, loyal Customers. Now that the company has FINALLY made the shift to that goal, our commission pay for everything else has plumeted since it's no longer the goal of the Company. We have to pay for the Company's incompetence.
    -Micromanaging Managers is a huge problem. Head Office points the finger at Area Managers. Area Managers then point their finger at Store Managers, etc. Rather than encouraging their Managers to be leaders out on the floor with their Reps, they pull them into conference calls for HOURS every week, telling them they need to sell more, motivate their Employees more, follow up with their Employees, have recorded meetings with each Employee at the beginning of every shift to set out their goals for that day. It's all talk, no leadership!
    -Head Office has zero organizational skills and way too much money to burn. Our store has gone through one major renovation and one major store move. The amount of people sent from the Company to do one menial job, leave, then come back a week or two later to do another job that could have been done the same day is staggering.

-Appreciate "working staff". The more monetary restraint put on us, the less "customer service" people will recieve.
    The base pay for Service Reps is dispicable for what is expected of us.
    Reps are pushing a specific phone to people because there happens to be a commission spiff on that model that month, even though it is completely wrong for their Customer, resulting in a potential clawback for the Rep and a frustrated Customer who feels taken.
    There are very few of us working for the Company now who put people before profit. Anyone new with the Company quickly learns that if you want to be able to pay your own bills every month, it's profit before people.
    That's exactly what Ted Rogers was against!
    I was really hoping with this new CEO now that things would change. So far, they haven't. Other than the fact that I now make less money on things I DO sell.
    Wherever Rogers Head Office can cut money to put more in their pockets - they will. And it usually comes from us.
    -The Company needs to listen to it's "little people". We have more of an idea of what's going on, what's trending, what's a good change to implement and what's very very bad than the Company realizes.
    We may not have a piece of paper that says we know about good business, but we certainly have the experience!
    -Not all stores are created equal. Some are in downtown city central. Some are in smaller rural areas. You cannot group the two together and demand to know why the smaller stores don't have comparable sales.
    -Fear does not motivate! Negative reinforcement does not motivate!
    Appreciate your long-term Employees for the work we have put in and the knowledge we have accumulated!

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Rogers Communications part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discounts on all rogers products

Cons

The challenge is that you can lost in the numbers.

A little more training for consistency of information so that when talking to customers it's the same everytime.

Customer Relations

Current Employee - Customer Relations Representative  in  Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Representative in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Rogers Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good starting wage. They provide lots of training.

Cons

Repetitive. Depending on location can be difficult and/or slow to advance in the company.

Bittersweet

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Rogers Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Frequency of pay increase. Collection is always in demand. Permanent position.

Cons

Working Saturday. being on phone constantly.
    Irate and angry customers.

Try to help your employees more with work/ home Balance.

Worked for Rogers Communications? Contribute to the Community!