Rogers Communications

Rogers Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Rogers Communications President and CEO Guy Laurence

Guy Laurence

Pros
  • Good benefits, defined benefit pension plan, 50% discount on all services(in 45 reviews)

• Rogers offers flexibility, work life balance and great benefits(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be challenging but mostly it's a personal choice vs(in 35 reviews)

• Cost cutting and layoffs have caused the rest of the resources to be overworked with no work life balance(in 10 reviews)

Rogers TV - Great Place to Work.....Horrible Local Management!

Pros- Amazing place to work! Great team of people and a great culture!
    - New Equipment and constantly upgrading older equipment
    - Working with Members of the Public and High School Volunteers/Co-ops

Cons- Lower Level Management does not have any idea how to run a community television station. Many staff are very unhappy with certain managers.
    - Overtime is paid in "Lue Time".....if you ever get the chance to take it.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider doing an internal employee review/evaluation to evaluate how Station Managers & Supervising Producers are doing.

Advertising Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsStrong portfolio of assets to take to the market with some of the best media brands in Canada across print, TV, radio and digital platforms. Great people to work with and excellent benefits including generous health, cable/wireless/ticket discounts and paid time off. Very good communication from management on new initiatives within the company.

ConsNew management always brings a revised approach which results in a revolving door at many levels. Regular waves of layoffs to accommodate the incoming structure keep staff unsure of where they really stand. HR process seem to be designed to foster career progression but rarely translates into actual career progression resulting in employee departures as they seek the role they are after at other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at existing staff to promote from within before seeking out external candidates. Increase investment in training, revisit approach to out-of-reach target setting to help provide a comp plan that motivates sales staff to perform and get compensated so that they stay around longer.

Customer Relations

Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

ProsGood starting wage. They provide lots of training.

ConsRepetitive. Depending on location can be difficult and/or slow to advance in the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Current CSR, 6+ years, Stressful Work Environment, Under Appreciated

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

Pros-50% off services discount
    -Partial benefits for part time employees.
    -Flexible schedule (if your manager is decent, most rely on the automated scheduling system).
    -Amazing coworkers (personally)

Cons-Highly stressful working environment. Customers no longer want to deal with the call centers due to long wait times or poor / incorrect information. A lot of Customers outright refuse to speak to a Rep on the phone and come straight to the stores.
    All too often do Customers spend hours on the phone on hold being transferred from one department to the next to the next, gathering more frustration and anger, only to hang up and come to the store to vent to us in person.
    Some speak to the call centres, are given incorrect information and sent to the stores where the Sales Reps have to set the Customer straight, often leading to more frustration about being given the runaround and now not knowing who to believe or if anyone who works for Rogers knows how to do their job.
    -Employees in store are not valued at all. We are expected to be Jack of all Trades in our knowledge of all products, all services, all promotions, all PREVIOUS products and services, all devices, all prices of products and services, billing information and details and technical support. Call centre reps (in most departments) are trained in their own specific department only. Anything outside of their department and they transfer their Customer off to someone else. A Customer could easily speak to 4 or 5 different people, all with different answers, before hanging up and coming to the store anyway.
    -The Company appointed websites and links to assist us with references for our jobs don't work half the time resulting in frustrated Employees and Customers alike.
    -The Company likes to release new programs and policies before they have been tested. The Customers become the guinea pigs.
    -Customer Service Rep pay is deplorable. For someone who has put in seven years working for Rogers, a brand new Employee makes 12 cents an hour less.
    Aside from a gift card (which can only be redeemed for Rogers products!) once every 5 years, no matter how outstanding, Sales Reps get zero recognition. Most Reps don't make it that long resulting in high Employee overturn and therefor more new Employees who are undertrained and unknowledgeable. Those of us who have been Rogers Employees for a while are under appreciated.
    I have been with Rogers through two minimum wage increases. Both of my yearly raises were eliminated by it and it was only through the grace of my current Manager that it didn't happen a third time this year when minimum went to $11/hour.
    -The Company is way too far behind on their goals. The Service Reps in store have known for years that the Company needs to focus on retaining existing, loyal Customers. Now that the company has FINALLY made the shift to that goal, our commission pay for everything else has plumeted since it's no longer the goal of the Company. We have to pay for the Company's incompetence.
    -Micromanaging Managers is a huge problem. Head Office points the finger at Area Managers. Area Managers then point their finger at Store Managers, etc. Rather than encouraging their Managers to be leaders out on the floor with their Reps, they pull them into conference calls for HOURS every week, telling them they need to sell more, motivate their Employees more, follow up with their Employees, have recorded meetings with each Employee at the beginning of every shift to set out their goals for that day. It's all talk, no leadership!
    -Head Office has zero organizational skills and way too much money to burn. Our store has gone through one major renovation and one major store move. The amount of people sent from the Company to do one menial job, leave, then come back a week or two later to do another job that could have been done the same day is staggering.

Advice to Senior Management-Appreciate "working staff". The more monetary restraint put on us, the less "customer service" people will recieve.
    The base pay for Service Reps is dispicable for what is expected of us.
    Reps are pushing a specific phone to people because there happens to be a commission spiff on that model that month, even though it is completely wrong for their Customer, resulting in a potential clawback for the Rep and a frustrated Customer who feels taken.
    There are very few of us working for the Company now who put people before profit. Anyone new with the Company quickly learns that if you want to be able to pay your own bills every month, it's profit before people.
    That's exactly what Ted Rogers was against!
    I was really hoping with this new CEO now that things would change. So far, they haven't. Other than the fact that I now make less money on things I DO sell.
    Wherever Rogers Head Office can cut money to put more in their pockets - they will. And it usually comes from us.
    -The Company needs to listen to it's "little people". We have more of an idea of what's going on, what's trending, what's a good change to implement and what's very very bad than the Company realizes.
    We may not have a piece of paper that says we know about good business, but we certainly have the experience!
    -Not all stores are created equal. Some are in downtown city central. Some are in smaller rural areas. You cannot group the two together and demand to know why the smaller stores don't have comparable sales.
    -Fear does not motivate! Negative reinforcement does not motivate!
    Appreciate your long-term Employees for the work we have put in and the knowledge we have accumulated!

Review 2014

Digital Imaging (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThey have very decent benefits, a nice well-kept work environment with adequate supplementary extras such as a cafeteria and gym.

ConsThe morale now is very low with seemingly non-stop lay-offs affecting all levels of employment and seniority. The work ethic currently is quite lacklustre and there is little room for advancement in the publishing dept.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove away from the same old tired stoogy work practices and attempt to distinguish yourselves from other similar companies. Create more substance rather than more glitzy fluff.

Great until Management Changes

ProsCoworkers are great, benefits are good.

ConsManagement tries to manage a team when they have no experience themselves. Unrealistic targets. Barely any training to new employees. With Minimum wage increase those working more than a year are now making the same amount as the new hires. No incentive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your Front-line staff and you will have happy customers and employees all round. Train your upper management, we are only as good as our upper management team.

Great company in transition

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat colleagues to work with
    Employee benefits

ConsCurrent state of changes not clear and taking too long creating alot of uncertainity

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over with the change process and start building again

Account Manager

Account Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-Good benefits
    -Skilled team members
    -Company Perks -> Stock Options, Paid device, trial hardware, discounts on Rogers Services

Cons-Very poor Management direction, no concise business strategy
    -Poor lack of focus
    -People matter less then profit

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people and success will follow - With a lack of direction it feels like the company is out to get us!

Chaotic ITS with out of touch leaders.

Director (Current Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsSalary and benefits are good. Location is good. Working tools average. Co-workers great.

ConsMost managers are not technical enough to manage technology. Too many generalists. Two major IT reorganizations in a year and everyone is confused. Seems the worst executives get promoted, best leaders are let go. Unrealistic delivery expectations due to lack of leader domain expertise. Great place for consultants to milk the cash cow. Former Rogers culture is dead. This company is imploding. Massive waste of money on two major development initiatives has not delivered.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out ITS import executives. Bring back some people who have left due to imports. Get back to basics. Dont accept generalists in ITS leadership positions.

ok

Prosif you work hard, you might have the opportunity to move up

Consyou like a machine to do the job

Advice to Senior Managementkeep going

Worked for Rogers Communications? Contribute to the Community!