Rogers Communications

Rogers Communications Reviews in Toronto, ON Canada

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Rogers Communications President and CEO Guy Laurence

Guy Laurence

Pros
  • Good benefits, defined benefit pension plan, 50% discount on all services(in 44 reviews)

• Rogers offers flexibility, work life balance and great benefits(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be challenging but mostly it's a personal choice vs(in 33 reviews)

• Cost cutting and layoffs have caused the rest of the resources to be overworked with no work life balance(in 10 reviews)

318 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Rogers provides an environment of competitiveness and of winning with innovation

Director (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsRogers has great benefits including a gym and focus on employee wellness.

ConsRogers does things to innovate well but sometimes missed the boat on customer satisfaction relentlessly pursuing profit goals at the expense of our biggest shareholders...our customers. Greater investment is required to promote the right people from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your employees. Train them. Believe in the advice. They have the best suggestions.

BCR Wireline Hybrid

BCR Wireline Hybrid (Current Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsExcellent opportunity for advancement. Managers are very easy to talk to and office morale is GREAT. Love my job and my customers.

ConsYou have to master the systems on your own. Too many technical system issues resulting in lost sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be best if we had the opportunity to work more closely with the IT team internally so that when a system upgrade is done it does not impact our ability to make and close sales.

Pleasant environment to work in.

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

Pros- Lots of bright and experienced Network Engineers

Cons- Big place /company to work in.
    - Too many people, too many groups.
    - Conference calls that should take only 15 mins and 4 people to sort out sometimes takes 2 hours and 30 people.

Advice to Senior Management- Focus more on customer service.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Advertising Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsStrong portfolio of assets to take to the market with some of the best media brands in Canada across print, TV, radio and digital platforms. Great people to work with and excellent benefits including generous health, cable/wireless/ticket discounts and paid time off. Very good communication from management on new initiatives within the company.

ConsNew management always brings a revised approach which results in a revolving door at many levels. Regular waves of layoffs to accommodate the incoming structure keep staff unsure of where they really stand. HR process seem to be designed to foster career progression but rarely translates into actual career progression resulting in employee departures as they seek the role they are after at other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at existing staff to promote from within before seeking out external candidates. Increase investment in training, revisit approach to out-of-reach target setting to help provide a comp plan that motivates sales staff to perform and get compensated so that they stay around longer.

Chaotic ITS with out of touch leaders.

Director (Current Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsSalary and benefits are good. Location is good. Working tools average. Co-workers great.

ConsMost managers are not technical enough to manage technology. Too many generalists. Two major IT reorganizations in a year and everyone is confused. Seems the worst executives get promoted, best leaders are let go. Unrealistic delivery expectations due to lack of leader domain expertise. Great place for consultants to milk the cash cow. Former Rogers culture is dead. This company is imploding. Massive waste of money on two major development initiatives has not delivered.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out ITS import executives. Bring back some people who have left due to imports. Get back to basics. Dont accept generalists in ITS leadership positions.

Account Manager

Account Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-Good benefits
    -Skilled team members
    -Company Perks -> Stock Options, Paid device, trial hardware, discounts on Rogers Services

Cons-Very poor Management direction, no concise business strategy
    -Poor lack of focus
    -People matter less then profit

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people and success will follow - With a lack of direction it feels like the company is out to get us!

Great experience, fast paced, hard work, rewarding professionally and financially

Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsInnovative company, great benefits, lots of opportunity, great Toronto location, great Canadian company, employee discounts, connection to NHL, new ceo

ConsSomewhat bureaucratic, customer service problems are sometimes embarrassing

The potential of Media

Media (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsRogers Media:
    Great colleagues. Passionate employees. Often exciting and interesting work. Good proactive digital adaptations for media properties. Silos have been removed.

Was at one time known for vast resources and considerable brain power.

ConsCuts have become the constant norm in order to support big media investments and properties that are bleeding money within RMI. (Spreadsheets will show brands and platforms under performing but what needs to be noted is they are under funded when it comes to basic cost of business necessities that were there as little as 1-2 years ago.) And with cuts comes employee change and turmoil.

Media Product: Quality has disintegrated. Influence has dissipated.

Management: Warring fiefdoms, dysfunctional management rewarding a catchall of mediocrities, all trying desperately, and viciously, to protect their jobs.

Sales restructure: The internal pitch may be good but sales is a farce (just speak to a sales rep). Yes, RMI has SOM as we should, we have the most properties. It is all a matter of spin.

Marketing restructure: Put employees in roles they had no previous experience in resulting in many doing as little as possible while building as large a bureaucratic foundation as possible. Attractive presentations have become standard. Brand integration has begun but is significantly behind where it could/should be.

Magazines brands are largely unsupervised/neglected.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless the only true asset considered valuable for RCI is sports entertainment, proper prioritizing via brand and platform valuations is necessary. Otherwise, the loss of those viable brands and platforms due to over funding and supporting losses will cost the company much more in the long run.

RCI has a huge job ahead rebuilding and repairing Rogers. Thus far, Media has not factored much into the big overhaul.

However just look at Time Warner, with its dominance in the cable business, its acquisition of CNN and Turner in the mid-1990s, its powerful magazines and its preeminence in Hollywood and the music industry-- look what happened to them. Time Inc had a huge advantage in that they were the first ones to launch a digital content and advertising platform on the web! But they completely failed to appreciate what it had done, and what it should do next.

That is where Media is at. Before long, much of the damage will be irreversible and Media will no longer offer RCI this tremendous advantage and enormous value.

Progressive exciting company in vibrant Canadian telecom marketplace with family atmosphere

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsExciting services, great new ceo, profitable

ConsMigration to customer centric model could be faster

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training

Demotivating

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Pros50% discount on wireless and cable services are great. In sales there are some great people to work with. Overall it's an easy job. The is potential and hope with having a new new CEO, but nothing has happened yet.

ConsMicromanagement is to the point that everyone in this office spends at minimum 2-5 hours a week in "coaching" sessions. Focus for sales is on scripting, not results. Top sales reps have been reprimanded, even fired for not following a somewhat restrictive script. Sales people are trained by people who have zero experience in sales. There are positives working here, but it's difficult to focus on them when recruiters and interviewers are not accountable for the dishonest claims made to recruit you.

HR has a strong hold on the organization. Literally on your first day they start the paperwork to prepare for your dismissal.

Advice to Senior ManagementFear is not a motivator. Changing the commission structure to make it more difficult for sales employees to earn any is not a motivator. We all like having our own desk...and two monitors is more productive.
    I know I am not the only one interviewing elsewhere.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Rogers Communications? Contribute to the Community!