Rogers & Cowan

Updated Apr 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom Tardio

Great company. Full of exciting and interesting opportunities.

Marketing (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsDifferent departments provide a wide variety of opportunities

ConsI have nothing negative to say.

Long Hours, All about the bottom line

Assistant Account Executive (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood company Christmas party, Some cool co-workers, good benefits. Other than that I can't think of that many good things. I had a really bad experience working here, it didn't help that they stopped hiring interns when I started. That really hurt the AAE's.

ConsLONG hours, low pay, no time for lunch breaks, unorganized, chaotic, bad management, No work/life balance, Stressful, high volume workload

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more emphasis on employee satisfaction instead of the bottom line.

Great hands on experience for an intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe people, the clients, the office

Consmethods can be a little outdated

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mixed Feelings

(Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsInterns work hands on with big name client projects.
    Interns cold call outlets and can potentially land stories.
    Interns leave comfortable with pitching stories for their own projects.

Cons1. No MEN! Ladies, pick a field where there is going to be guy in the office. This is a hen house.

2. This internship broke the law. I did the full time work of a Jr. Account executive five days a week. They should phase you in slowly instead of expecting a free professional. Everything was abrupt. I burned out commuting every day from New Jersey. A paid hire would never just be dropped in but a intern is?

3. It's obvious interns are there to explore different career choices but there's a real sense of entitlement from the senior publicists. It seems as if everybody feels entitled to a personal college student to pick up the slack that is the responsibility of the publicist.

4. The office didn't seem to have many great connections to use for clients. Instead, interns simply went down the list of reporter's phone numbers and hoped somebody said yes.

5. I'd be appalled if I was paying thousands of dollars a month for pr to have an eighteen year old I had never spoken to handling my work. I would never let somebody make calls on behalf of me that I had never spoken with. I called one reporter to write a story and found out he's recently written a piece about our client and nobody told me. Faux pas galore. The movie editor at VOGUE found me pretty funny when I called about television. There's not a lot of thought put into intern projects. We just use the database willy nilly. Instructions are to spam reporters A-Z by EOD.

6. When I worked here they were a bit behind the times. Press kits were sent out to reporters as piles of photocopies of old articles. Presentation is lacking. They were largely afraid of social media when I started.

7. Senior people didn't say nice things about the company. Everything from the receipt policy to the hiring freeze was trashed. It's bad for morale.

8. I was shared between two publicists which is just wrong. You can only have one boss. Even when they said they communicated it was a joke.

Tedious, a waste of time

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFree drinks - particularly soda, orange juice and milk

ConsThere is absolutely no room for growth. Interns feel unimportant because there is no structure in the company. Everything is very disorganized and interns are given tasks such as making cold calls and mailing out press kits. Interns are not utilized properly and do not have a chance to meet senior management. NO compensation for 8 hour work days. Intern room is full of junk and is stuffy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and intern program where you can fully utilize their help instead of throwing random tasks at them with no explanation and with no room to learn.

Every person I know who has interned at Rogers & Cowan regrets it.

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey had free soda available.

ConsInterns all quickly realized we were being treated terribly. A co-intern of mine was yelled at for not having propped open the door to our department head's office. No room for growth. Strictly media lists, clippings and putting together mail outs. They have no vested interest in teaching you or training you. Tasks are constantly thrown at you without any explanation whatsoever. No introductions, no orientations, unpaid. Often times supervisors are scared or intimidated to ask higher-ups for help.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't waste your time and the time of your interns by not teaching or training them. Invest in them and they can learn from you.

Excellent! Learn a lot from direct supervisor and other co-workers.

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe ability continually learned new staff
    Free breakfast on friday and unlimited drinks.
    Friendly working environment.
    Potential to attend special celebrity events.
    Welcome intern to meeting.

ConsNo pay for intern.
    Hard to reach recruiting people.
    Not been grated responsibility.
    Not able to learn more about other department.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy direct supervisor and upper management treat me very well and was willing to train me and share responsibility with me. Overall is pretty awesome.

Nice to have the name reputation. Horrendous place to work.

Freelancer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosproduct & celeb perks
    make great contacts
    french toast breakfast on friday's

Conshorrible sense of management on accounts
    managers and supervisors not held accountable
    hostile environment
    unprofessional work atmosphere

Advice to Senior Managementget lessons on how to communicate to your junior staff and how to supervise work load for your team. horrible communication within teams. structure groups for work effectiveness.

Poor compensation but overall a good place to get your foot in the door

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsIt's very well-known and management knows what they're doing in terms of client relations. They give you breakfast on Fridays and offer free parking.

ConsI often found myself doing work that I didn't want to do. I didn't advance my skills as much as I would have liked, as I was usually given menial, monotonous work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take what employees have to say in consideration!

Internship

ProsReputable and well known PR firm.
    Free breakfast on Fridays.

ConsThe people I worked for were very nice, however I only actually met two people in my department. It's discouraging as an intern to not even meet the head of the department you are working for.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking long hours doing undesirable work would be more tolerable if interns were acknowledged more from executives.

Worked for Rogers & Cowan? Contribute to the Community!