Rogue Wave Reviews

2.1
Brian Pierce

1. Rate a Company

I have been working at Rogue Wave

Pros

Great co-workers, good benefits, a growing company.

Cons

No company is perfect but Rogue Wave is a solid company.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Rogue Wave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are just phenomenal to work with. The technology is second to none. Because the company is acquisitive, we are constantly getting new products to sell to our customers. We help solve very hard problems at customer sites all over the world.

Cons

Sometimes too many products becomes distracting.

Advice to Management

Give the employees more ability to share their ideas.

3. Eh...

Current Employee - Software in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Software in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Rogue Wave full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working remote is always a plus. It is a big company, so if you want to be ignored, this is the place to go.

Cons

It is a big company, so you will be ignored. People have great ambition, however, it rarely translates into something of substance.

Advice to Management

I can't really say what I would do differently, I would just suggest trying anything.

5. Company growing through acquisition backed by PE firm

I worked at Rogue Wave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and technology to work with and explore, multiple locations. Compensation is reasonable and good benefits.

Cons

Company lost a lot of good people lately due to lack of strategy with products. Great company for learning a variety of technology, but little options for upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Develop a cohesive strategy that the company and employees understand and believe in.

6. Need to focus on core products and less on the new

I worked at Rogue Wave full-time

Pros

+ Work from home flexibility + Free drinks and snacks + Generous cell phone allowance + Medical/Dental/Vision/Life benefits + Educational courses paid for by the company

Cons

- Understaffed, all employees wear multiple hats and do several roles often times outside of their knowledge base - Original job description is not what the actual job turned out to be - Excessive travel for no apparent reason - Unfriendly employees, lack of a "team" mentality, nobody seems to care

Advice to Management

Quit buying up smaller companies that you know nothing about and putting the wrong people in charge of groups/departments that don't have expertise in that area. Management is all about getting that next new red shiny button to sell to prospects and fail to take the time to focus on their core products and what they already do well.

Legacy software with nothing to do

Former Employee - Software Developer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Rogue Wave

Pros

There were still some good people there … probably still are, although many left or were booted. It might be good for junior level people to get some experience. For higher levels not so much. Benefits are pretty good, but salary is on low end.

Cons

The last few years I worked there I had almost zip to do. Years ago it was purchased by an investment group, which eventually sold it to another investment group. There is no interest in developing software. Only buying old software, cutting costs, cutting commissions and raising prices on customers. Pretty depressing place if you have any interest in doing software work.

Advice to Management

No advice, they know what they are. They aren't a software company. They work for the investment group that owns them. Everything and everyone else is expendable. I recall a moratorium on purchasing office supplies, bean counters!

From great, to bad, to horrible

I worked at Rogue Wave full-time

Pros

There used to be many pros to working there, but most of them went away when Brian, the CEO, moved to Colorado.

Cons

The environment is stifling, and the trickle-down of uncaring, selfishness and terrible communication flow daily from Brian. He's pushed good execs away, forced an unattainable sales plan and makes sure he squeezes every penny to get his profit so he looks good to the owners. Culture starts at the top, and putting some words about values on posters and then never following through is a prime example of the way this company is run.

Advice to Management

Think about the employees, not your personal bank balance.

Lack of direction, Lack of leadership

I worked at Rogue Wave full-time

Pros

Local coworkers are a great group. Generally, there are little or no issues there. Taken separately, the individual products have much potential.

Cons

Acquisitions continue to burden the unqualified (and mostly original) management team. Inability to assess the values of a new company combined with an attitude of empire-building is taking its toll on the company. Their classic and fatal flaw is the inability to listen. Consistently, the value of each new acquired company is diminished once under Rogue Wave control. Rogue Wave as a whole may become larger, but increasingly inefficient and ineffective in the process. The corporation grows as the products suffer.

Advice to Management

Learn to listen. You don't even listen to yourselves. Printing goals on a coffee cup like "Humanity" "Teamwork" and "Communication" doesn't make it happen. It simply reeks with upper management arrogance.

A Company that will suck the life out of you.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Rogue Wave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looking back at the time I served at Rogue Wave, I can honestly say the pay was good and I liked the people I worked with (not for).

Cons

Battery Ventures and Brian, the CEO, embody the definition of greed and will step on your throat to grab a dollar. There is very much a feeling that Big Brother is watching.

Advice to Management

In the end your reputation is what you leave behind.

Lack of Exec Mgmt team

I worked at Rogue Wave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few really good people.

Cons

No processes in place, no real Mgmt team - promoted, with no training, leaves for a lack of an effective Exec team.

Advice to Management

Embrace change. Review turn over ratio - it's outrageous. New employees aren't sticking around, WHY Clean-house and start fresh!!

RSS Feed </> Embed