Rohde & Schwarz Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014
Updated August 29, 2014

3.4

Manfred Fleischmann

Rohde has been an amazing company to work for. The company has stellar performers.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Remote, OR

I worked at Rohde & Schwarz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CEO with an amazing vision.

Cons

None, Rohde is an amazing company.

I have been here for 11 yrs, and most of it has been ok.

Current Employee - Service Engineer  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Service Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Rohde & Schwarz full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working here is ok. People are friendly enough. Benefits are good. Company gives out bonuses if certain financial goals are met.

Cons

Managment is not that great. They tend to look out for certain people they like, sort of a 'good ole boy' thing. Hard work never gets noticed. Promotions are very hard to get. Pay raises are low, except for managment, who get rich off the backs of the workers.

Get rid of incompetant mid level managers, which there are many

Good place to work

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Rohde & Schwarz part-time

Pros

Decent pay, and friendly work environment.

Cons

No benefits and would like to see more opportunity for moving ahead in the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome to wrok, Great package, good facility.

Current Employee - Applications Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rohde & Schwarz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent test equipment. Stable protocol stack. Good reputation in customer.

Cons

Lots of work pressure. High customer expectations.

Good facilities, decent vibe, lots of potential

Former Employee - Calibration Technician  in  Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Columbia, MD

I worked at Rohde & Schwarz as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

- Company is expanding rapidly in the U.S., so lots of potential for advancement, new responsibilities and new projects.
    - Outstanding benefits

Cons

Some of the company's divisions (such as the one I worked in) were acquired from Tektronix a few years back, and some of the employees who were retained are not a very good fit for the new organization. This problem might be resolved by now though.

Will never have direction or honest feedback with the Gecko at the wheel

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at Rohde & Schwarz full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great co-workers, smart people, great benefits

Cons

Pretty much everyone is scared of one person in upper management and keeps their head down and march in lock step. Beholden to Germany for new product direction. Gaping holes in product strategy.

Get rid of the poisonous spider, so people aren't so afraid for their job. Cross him once and you're a goner!!

Great place to work if you're not in the U.S.

I have been working at Rohde & Schwarz

Pros

Decent pay, flexible hours, and excellent products. You can succeed if don't talk to anyone.

Cons

Lack of direction and challenging work, poor teamwork, and constant complaining of seasoned employees. Due to the negative atmosphere, it's a challenging place to work for more than a couple of years so if you're looking for a place to learn and grow in the position, look elsewhere.

Get the entire company to a teambuilding workshop ASAP

Good internship experience with friendly co-workers.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Rohde & Schwarz as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the work atmosphere, and I felt that my co-workers were very willing to help me wherever I didn't understand something. I felt like the work I did was actually of use to the groups I was with, and they would make use of it even after I left. It seemed like a good introduction to the working of the business world for a college student.

Cons

Due to the complexity of the projects the teams worked on, and the fact that the internship was three months, I was not able to get much experience in actual software development, and was left to do more of a support role for the other team members.

Strong focus on employees, great autonomy. Experienced and fair management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Rohde & Schwarz

Pros

At this company, you really get to pursue what you are good at. Ideas and suggestions from employees are really heard, The management team is open to new ideas, and we are growing fast and have done really well over the past few years. This allows them to invest in growth areas, products, etc. My colleagues are really fun and everyone seems happy to work here. Awesome benefits.

Cons

They company is light on processes and policies. This can be a good thing, but they could improve in that area.

Management could be even more present with employees who don't cover key accounts.

Wonderful company, making great strides here in the US

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Rohde & Schwarz

Pros

R&S cares about its employees and it is reflected in the cut backs from a couple of years ago where they cut everyone (and I mean everyone) pay by 10%. Not only were we able to get our 10% back, but we got our bonuses too. During that entire time, when other companies were trying to save money by cutting benefits, R&S elected to keep the benefits and 401K contributions the same. They were able to keep a strong and talented workforce.

Cons

Working for a German owned company half a world away is always a problem. Not only does the language prevent strong communication, but culture does too. For a company that has been around for more than 80 years you would think they would have worked out the communication issues. When departments won't talk, many efforts are duplicated. Many people have been making great strides in resolving this with new software tools, but people need to use the tools and that is where the problem lies. It's not that the "company' won't communicate with its employees, its the employees that can't seem to make the effort to communicate.

Continue to make efforts to increase the communication skills. Be willing to invest in the tools and technologies to make the sales guys more efficient and the support team in the offices too. Don't throw more people at a problem when a more efficient solution can be found, however don't hold back on resources when they are needed.

Worked for Rohde & Schwarz? Contribute to the Community!