Roka Bioscience

Updated June 20, 2014
Updated June 20, 2014
2.3

Paul G. Thomas

Roka, the little company that tries

I worked at Roka Bioscience full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation time
    Pay is just inches away from being competitive

Cons

Praise is not often given
    No real company culture
    Information is not free flowing and often trickles down

Roka is a nice company to work for but often times no one really knows what is going on. Information about current projects and company health are usually found second hand. The culture of the company really needs help in order to make everyone who works there feel like they are all playing for the same team. Having an after hours social and tipping back a beer or two would go miles to help bond the company and improve morale.
    We keep losing good talented people, but told that we didn't really need them, and then told to row faster. But I will say this about the company, it's a start up and some of the bad things I listed is to be expected. Until Roka is profitable it can't do some of the things a bigger company can. It can't hand out huge merit increases, it can't have elaborate parties, and most of all it can't take chances on people who are "unhappy."
    But the day the company goes public, and is profitable, is the day it may need to be ready to pay the bill to those rowing the boat at breakneck speed.

Underpaid, underappreciated

Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Roka Bioscience full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managers can be a hit-or-miss: some are willing to work with you, while others may carry a reputation of getting their subordinates fired.
    Work scheduling was fair - starting work late and/or leaving early was an option provided you did your task/duties promptly.

Cons

Pay and benefits are not made, nor readjusted to keep the employees content.
    RAs are underappreciated, and often considered dispensable.
    Antagonistic work environment where individuals in higher positions had the tendency to look down/detract the worth of other co-workers.
    The trend during my tenure at Roka was that they often looked for the small window of making a mistake to get employees in trouble/fired.

Dissatisfied employees, little upward mobility

I worked at Roka Bioscience full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, including 15 days vacation time and sick days

Cons

In general, employees were dissatisfied. There was little opportunity for growth, even for those employees that actively sought it. Only employees with connections to upper management or the CEO were able to move upward and receive promotions. Employees did not feel confidence in upper management or their decisions.

Upper management did not allow much input from employees regarding projects.

Salary was low.

Stifling, Uninspiring and Unimpressive

I have been working at Roka Bioscience

Pros

Good benefits compared to other companies.
    No 401K matching.
    15 days vacation.
    3 days sick leave.
    Fridays off during summer months.
    Highly paid employees.

Cons

Uninspiring and stifling corporate management. I've run companies before and taken them to market and then sold them. As one of the leaders of this company, I'm not given the freedom to run the site as it should be run. Some employees that I inherited came over from the parent company Genprobe and brought with them a lot of baggage. One office in NJ, one office in CA. For a start up company, we didn't think about how much money we're spending to have these two offices. I'm not sure if the product will break new grounds in the industry but at least I have a secure job.