Roku

Add Photos

Anthony Wood

Solid and Serious

Developer (Current Employee) Saratoga, CA

ProsThe company is stocked with committed people who know what they're doing. There's a sense of a shared vision, and little or no nonsense.

ConsIt' a gamble, but so is every business.

Great product, Bad Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful area to work in, no bad traffic from surrounding boring tech offices. Many talented people work there, as much as they work hard, they play harder. Supposedly offers top market in salary.

Cons-The CEO is involved in way too many things, however Senior Mgmt does not make a final decision on anything or often times fingers were pointed at different departments if anything went wrong.
    -Does not promote within/No growth. High turnover rate. Many employees left because a higher position was offered to an outside candidate
    -Poor benefits/Stock options.
    -No raises. They were few, far and between
    -Very poor communication. This is includes future projects, deals and even small changes within the company (like employees getting terminated or voluntarily leaving)-- extremely secretive.
    -Too many people "up top"--"many chiefs and not enough indians"
    -Extremely unprofessional environment, a lot of verbal arguments and outbursts. HR does not handle these.
    -A lot of favoritism, especially in departments. Engineering department was highly favored (probably because the CEO is an engineer) however, this meant other departments were not acknowledged for their hard work and also did not get their hiring needs met.
    -Employees treated like they were replaceable.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept the high turnover rate, but try to make a change by deterring employees from leaving, promote within. Realize that they are not the only "cool startup" in the Bay Area that great talent will work for.

Warehouse is run horribly and no chance for raises

Shipping (Current Employee) Scotts Valley, CA

ProsBenefits after 7 months eventually happen.

ConsNo communication, sexist to both genders, hires convicted felons, no safety rules, no one is help accountable, and no raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsourcing will not solve these problems they are enternal.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

nice people + poor leadership

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Saratoga, CA

Prospays market rate. get free codes to lots of streaming services for my kids to watch. low amount of meetings. some people work from home 100 percent. ux team is good and easy to work with. lots of lunches.

Consa retirement home for engineers to come and talk at times and i am not a spring chicken, this is my last job.

ceo is seen to make all the decisions but often too late in the project

options are not worth anything as are heavily diluted.

products are suffering because the other sw team never proves a cpu before it gets used and trusts a vendors marketing materials. some idea that we can always fix things but end in have to ship now type situations and poor product experiences.

every product ships by all sw engineers working long hours and 6/7 days weeks for 2 or 3 month.

i was interviewed google question style, but the work doesnt need any of this and is really using basic like language called brightscript from the ceo again

Advice to Senior Managementstop the decision making happening the night before a product ships. innovate and not copy previous product all the time. plan and schedule so every product we dont all end up working 6 day weeks.

worry about google as they will franchise their platform and win.

Secret Handshake Society

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCool products and smart people

ConsThe CEO, has way too much control how the company is run and company information ( like when are we moving?)is not freely shared, no one gives feedback openly for fear of retribution...sort of the emperors new clothes effect.

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop some leadership so you can grow, make sure you hire really strong leaders to bring the company forward. communicate expectations clearly and back your people up so they can learn something as they work for you there are many other places for great talent to work

Worked for Roku? Contribute to the Community!