Roland Berger

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Burkhard Schwenker

Pros:
  • "Good culture, good pay and good atmosphere"
    in 7 reviews
  • "You are going to learn a lot for the first several years"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Working hours, sometimes stuck with the same client/ in an industry because you have already become an expert after 1-2 projects"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Long hours: in a calm week you will work about 70 hours, plus the pain of travelling every week and so"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very professional, team coorporaion

Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Roland Berger part-time for less than a year

ProsProfessional consulting company, smart colleagues, fast pace project

ConsLong time working hours, a lot of business trips

Roland Berger Strategy Consultancy is surely the place to opt for if interested in business consultancy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Hamburg (Germany)

I worked at Roland Berger part-time for more than 3 years

ProsA great start for young people to explore the consultancy world. You get to know different areas and will quickly be given responsibility for a small project. Colleagues are usually very open-minded to new ideas and innovative approaches. Teams consist of new and experienced staff who may learn from each other.

ConsConsultancy work can be very exhaustive. Long working hours, many duties trips and changing work places are normal and might not be for everybody's taste. Career opportunities may be limited if not considered as a senior consultant or even partner at some point. Most young people stay for a few years and then continue working for a business company, which provides more career perspectives.

Good company

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Roland Berger full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood culture, good pay and good atmosphere. People are working so hard and even enjoying it, which is really great.

ConsOverworking. Almost everybody complaints about the working conditions that the Partners and Principals are making.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe some more change is necessary for bettering working conditions. No exception that people working here are complaining about it.

Overall better than what is commonly said about RB

Munich (Germany)

I worked at Roland Berger as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Nice pay
- Nice colleagues depending on CC

Cons- Not well known outside Europe

Good place to learn, but at an expensice price

Consultant (Former Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Roland Berger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Incredible atmosphere for learning - I joined the company as an intern and as a FTE after graduating and the skills I developed within the company were extremely useful in all subsequent places
-Very good compensation (at least in Brazil)
-Top notch team - up to this day I haven´t worked with peers as capable as my peers at Berger

Cons-Long hours: in a calm week you will work about 70 hours, plus the pain of travelling every week and so. I was single at that time, but I witnessed several relationships going down because the consultand couldn´t invest time with his/her significant other
-Management team: at least in the Sao Paulo office the leadership team is very weak; they are not customer centered, but do-anything-as-long-as-it-counts-for-my-bonus centered, have little knowledge of consulting (they seem to be more as a well-paid salesman than a consultant) and definetly NOBODY I ever met though of them as role models, which means the consultants couldn´t see the reason for reaching the leadership position (which is a dealbreaker in management consultant carreer path)

Advice to Senior ManagementBring some partners who know how to lead people and do consulting, not sell projects

Hard work, entrepreneurial, robust spirit needed

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Roland Berger full-time for more than a year

Pros- Opportunity to work above pay grade / official seniority: small offices means you get a lot of senior exposure
- Variety of projects
- Team spirit and bright colleagues

Cons- Unnecessarily long working hours and culture of presenteeism
- Some of the partners see teams as totally disposable: attitude is that you should be grateful to be here, so if you're unhappy it's your problem not ours
- Small offices means chronic understaffing in many cases: you can be rushed from 1 project to another with no break, which is exhausting
- Sexist comments are pretty commonplace: colleagues have been to strip clubs on company nights out

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to planning people's time rather than bickering over having your favourite resources / pet consultants. There is a lack of collaboration.

Dynamic,entrepreneurial and full-blast culture

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Paris (France)

I have been working at Roland Berger full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTop consulting assignments, on par with top strategy competitors
Smart colleagues
Freedom to build initiatives
Entrepreneurial spirit leading the company to have a very commercially aggressive behavior
Recognized top-level consultancy offering excellent career opportunities in the industry after a few years in the job
No strong "up or out" policy, limiting the peer competition and allowing more friendliness and cooperation with your direct peers and more broadly within the firm - better atmosphere than competitors

ConsNo real pause between projects, meaning you can be on a short hard proposal after a very demanding project, and never release pressure

Great Company for an ambitious young professional

Summer Intern (Current Employee)
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Roland Berger as an intern for less than a year

Prosgreat employers, very helpful. could have too many interns on a project

Conslong hours long hours long hours

Advice to Senior Managementgreat

Company review Roland Berger Strategy intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Roland Berger as an intern

challenging company

Intern (Former Employee)
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Roland Berger as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe company has a very good environment and colleagues. You can learn day-by-day via different projects you are involved in.

ConsThe workload a little bit too high. It may cost a person daily life if one wants to be really devoted.

Worked for Roland Berger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Roland Berger reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Roland Berger CEO Burkhard Schwenker. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by Roland Berger employees.