Rolf Jensen & Associates

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rolf Jensen & Associates President and CEO Martin Reiss

Martin Reiss

Good people, fluctuates with economy

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting work kept me busy even as an intern. I got to see a lot of different job sites and work on a variety of projects.

ConsWork load in the company overall was very dependent on the economy. A few offices had to close and people were let go or moved to other offices while I was there.

Don't do it, run the other way!

ProsFriendly and nice people in the local offices. Benefits are alright, but the cost to employee goes up each year.

ConsThe expectations are unreasonable. Technical staff is expect to be billable, seek new opportunities, and marketing the firm. The revenue plans individually and as an office are rediculously high. They recently cut our office off at the knees by laying off our Business Development Associate. She was a great value to our office by helping with client relationships, teaming opportunities, and seeking new work. Out of no where they decided to lay off 3 BDA's, all women in their 40's. They kept the two men. Coincidence??? I think not. This is a male dominated firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the overhead, too many non producers. Get a clue and a plan!

Lack of common sense

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbenefits; good people; location; hours

ConsManagement. Communication. too reliant on economy without "plan b" to save jobs. candidates are not given proper information. interview process drawn out; company cannot be trusted.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop waiting until the last minute to communicate changes that can put others in a life/death struggle. it borders on murder.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experience was horrendous. I stayed until I couldn't take it anymore.

Associate (Former Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsBenefits are pretty good and that's it.

ConsEverything and anything. I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and have an open door policy

Good place to learn not a good place to grow

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsAble to work on a lot of different projects and learn a lot. Very dedicated to training.

ConsSenior management does not seem connected to the workforce and really does not take input very well. More of a speak up if you want to agree style of managment

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your managers

Not bad but not great

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood group of people that work in the Chicago office. Overall, the company is good and lets you do your job. The best pro is the location of the office and the ease of leaving early/coming in later is nice.

ConsBad management and way to much overhead. employees are just numbers to the SVP of the company while they keep cutting the bread-makers the SVP's are sitting comfy.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and respect your employees and it just might be a better company for everyone. No need for the high profit margin during this economy... time to reduce !

Great place to start your fire protection consulting career

Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat and challenge projects you can work; There are many experts in this field that you can seek opinions and helps freely.

ConsDue to the work type (project based work), sometimes you need work overtime and weekend to meet the project deadline.

Advice to Senior ManagementInform your employee more frequently about the company plans, current financial status and their performance. Give more training to the young employee about the client relationship maintanenece and development.

Great experience with a company that truly values its clients, employees and the quality of its work product.

Senior Management (Current Employee)

ProsAs a person who had a previous career before RJA, I am always impressed on how the management tries hard to always "do the right thing". The senior management works harder and more hours than the rest of the staff even thought this is not apparent to the staff. I believe that my peers enjoy the work and take leadership very serious.The office staffs are outstanding in their attitude and are a pleasure to work with.

ConsIt is frustrating to hear (from other reviews posted on this site) that a very few of the staff still feel that management is not connected and we all need to do a better job in our communications.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on communicating

lots of autonomy on projects, reasonable on work hours, senior management bloated and our of touch

Senior Consultant (Fire Protection Engineer) (Current Employee)

ProsI learned tons and got to work on great projects. The company was very flexible on comp time and flex hours as long as you get your work done. Most of my coworkers were pleasant to work with.

ConsSenior management is very top heavy and is coasting on the hard work of the consultants and associates. Company says they are the "Employer of Choice" but saying so does not make it true. Many good employees have left in recent years because of management's lack of communication and lack of clear strategy. Management does not know how to strategize. Senior management tends to promote good old boys (i.e. those who think like they do), perpetuating their weaknesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice has been offered to management and consistently ignored. Management does not know how to grow the company and increase retention. It should relinquish its control and get someone in place who knows how to get the job done.

Not a very good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe one thing I miss about working here is the "flexible hours". The way the company is structured is that each individual employee is basically a franchise of the company. You set your own schedules however you want to work, as long as you can meet your revenue plan and sales goal set by your operations manager.

ConsThe flexible hours comes at a price. Every technical employee that walks through the door is given a sales goal and revenue plan. If you can meet the revenue plan by 105%, you will get a small bonus (less than 2% of your salary of last year). The revenue plan is set very high and is difficult to meet for people that work 40 hours a week. I calculated my utilization rate to be around 90%, which does not account for vacation or sick time off. To make things worse, they expect all engineers to play the roles such as sales/marketing, bill collectors, quality control, and mentors, which are not billable roles in the engineering industry. They lack training for their employees and it is usually done on the employees time, (since anything non-billable related hurts your revenue plans). To put things into perspective, I worked roughly 60-80 hours a week to make the revenue plan. I almost made my bonuses, but because a client did not pay their bills, it was count against my revenue goal. This type of structure promotes a cutthroat environment and I have seen many employees come and go within a year or two.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your engineers first, not your own pockets and profits. Yes, there are ways to "maximize" profits, but working them to death isn't an effective way.

Worked for Rolf Jensen & Associates? Contribute to the Community!