Rollins College Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
23 reviews filtered by
4.1
Craig M. McAllaster, EdD

1. It's a great company to work for!

I have been working at Rollins College

Pros

It has great benefits for its employees.

Cons

Salaries are a bit low.

2. Staff in every department is a pleasure to work with!

I have been working at Rollins College

Pros

The administration definitely cares about the students, and the programs they implement help gain knowledge about what the Rollins community wants out of their college experience.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to get communication between student organizations and the administration, so there is a disconnect between the goals of each and getting them to work together proves difficult at times.

The training for student employees is definitely a strong suit of this organization; for RAs and Peer Mentors, the programs for teaching policies and one-on-one interactions with students is very strong!

3. No complaints

I worked at Rollins College

Pros

Friendly team environment, amazing campus and amazing people. Sunshine year round and nice warm weather. Located in a nice community of Park Ave, easy access to Park Avenue for lunch options

Cons

The lack of diversity is clearly evident. Surrounded by wealthy students who are at times ungrateful and express their privileged lifestyle.

Increase the diversity to get a holistic campus

5. Very good and beneficial.

I worked at Rollins College

Pros

There are a lot very ambitious and friendly people. There's no cutthroat culture and everyone is very helpful upon getting started.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication from the administration. There is not a lot of opportunity for advancement, otherwise there is nothing negative to say.

6. Wonderful and Helpful

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Rollins College

Pros

Rollins was a wonderful place to work assisting in their daily summer camp program. The staff and administration for the camp were eager to help each other and the campers to learn and succeed in the various activities in which they participated.

Cons

The only noticeable issue I had involved the time clock used for camp counselors. We had been asked to fill out a time sheet on top of using the time clock due to some issues they were having with the clock. Nobody checked the filled out time sheets though, which resulted in my having to argue and prove having been at work on a couple of days for which I did not receive pay.

7. Very homogenous population

I have been working at Rollins College

Pros

Beautiful campus and facilities with some good faculty.

Cons

School with little diversity, especially in regard to income, in the student body. Not particularly friendly to those that aren't in a sorority or fraternity. Would not recommend.

8. Rollins is a great place to work!

I worked at Rollins College full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus, commitment to professional development

Cons

Lots of politics to navigate

9. Great place for employees to work and feel appreciated

Former Employee - Communications Coordinator in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Communications Coordinator in Orlando, FL

I worked at Rollins College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits here were outstanding. It's one of the few companies I've worked for that offered a generous maternity leave policy, as well as general paid time off. The benefits were affordable and quite satisfactory.

Cons

Salaries were a bit low. Upward mobility can be difficult because the benefits are so good that it seemed turnover was low. It's a smaller institution so transferring to another unit for promotion was not always an option.

10. Graduate Assistant Position

Current Contractor - Graduate Assistant in Winter Park, FL
    Current Contractor - Graduate Assistant in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Rollins College as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Hourly pay, part time work, tuition remission if you are a graduate student at Rollins. You are invited to do training and there are many career advancement and learning opportunities.

Cons

The busy times at work are the busy times for your classes (first few weeks, mid-term time, and finals time), but it is manageable with planning.

Keep up the good work!

11. Shiny on the outside, dull on the inside

Former Employee - Assistant
    Former Employee - Assistant

I worked at Rollins College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is an appealing school -- small size, great reputation, beautiful campus, high employee satisfaction (for most), good pay, flexibility, etc.

Cons

I think this will really depend on the school/department you work in and your coworkers. I was in a very small department (just me and my manager) but we were within a larger unit with more colleagues around us. The cons for me were this:

- no real training as my supervisor was way too overworked to commit to any real time with me
    - no team dynamic at all (even though I was around other people they were not very friendly and took little to no initiative to welcome me besides the initial hello...)
    - there is a great amount of "rumbling" under the surface (although Rollins consistently rates high in employees satisfaction people are not really THAT happy... there is a lot of tension between faculty and administration and lack of confidence in the school's leadership)
    - no performance review (I was there a little over a year and never had a performance conversation... It was signed by my manager and even his manager but was never discussed with me)
    - I just didn't feel like I was being challenged (was often bored!), didn't feel like I was being invested in, and didn't feel like I had a real future there

Rollins College Photos