Rollins Reviews

Rollins President, CEO, COO, and Director; Chairman, Orkin Gary W. Rollins
Gary W. Rollins

1. Current employee

I have been working at Rollins

Pros

Great company and great brand name with lots of growth

Cons

Poor work life balance for majority of the service workers at the branch level

2. Great and talented coworkers, horrible leadership and executive staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Rollins

Pros

None, Nothing, Zero, Zilch, Nada

Cons

Headquarters on the inside and outside looks like a Middle School movie set from the 1960's.
    Management is deceitful.
    All male employees MUST wear a dress shirt, tie, slacks and dress shoes even when it is 90+ degrees outside.
    The company is extremely frugal and operates on a shoe string budget.
    Conference room walls are covered with dated wood paneling.
    No regard for work/home/life balance.
    The older folks that still work there will tell you of horror stories of how in the 1970's female managers actually felt upon the breast of female subordinate employees to check if they were wearing a bra or not as part of the company code of conduct rules.

Advice to Management

I know that you guys are a family owned company which leads you to believe that doing things the same way that you did in the 1960's works best in 2014-2015 is what's holding you back from expanding your horizons.
    But of course, you don't care about horizon expansion, so never mind my advise.

3. Bonus driven...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Rollins

Pros

Some good team mates.
    Building would be good during a world crisis...it's a pretty much a bomb shelter.

Cons

Middle managers are mostly driven by bonuses which force deadlines on everyone below them, ready or not.
    Not all departments treated equally, some departments are held to higher standards than others.
    No telecommuting, 60's era IBM dress code, no windows it IT operations.

Advice to Management

Remove bonus driven culture. Allow telecommuting options. Allow business casual wardrobe.

5. Worst 2 years of my life

Former Employee - Not Saying in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - Not Saying in Northeast, NY

I worked at Rollins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people were nice. Pay was good

Cons

IT needs to be up to date. Backstabbing is part of culture. Office personnel need training on how to deal with people. Most are more rude than customers.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight. Make entire company Orkin and get rid of the other names like Home team, Waltham and Western.

6. Conservative company that has the potential to be great if only they embraced change.

I have been working at Rollins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paycheck. Great training department. Knowledgeable employees .

Cons

Culture. Too conservative: strict dress code, no working from home, and little work-life balance.

Mostly white male dominated work environment. Unfortunately, some departments have unqualified individuals leading because time on the job out ranks expertise of the subject manner.

Advice to Management

Allow for females in leadership position. Relax the dress code. Consider telecommuting options.

7. It's ok

I have been working at Rollins

Pros

Pay is OK for customer service.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth with in the call center

Advice to Management

Keep working hard

Contract Employees

I have been working at Rollins

Pros

Lots of work at call center with a variety of systems such as Microsoft XP/7, IE8/9/10, VoIP, wireless, mobile devices, AS400 and applications. Pleasing environment and friendly people. You will gain a lot of experience.

Cons

They regularly let good IT contractors go for minor reasons. It doesn't seem likely that a contract position will evolve into a hire position.

Advice to Management

Their strategy must be keeping costs low but the service to in-house clients suffers.

It's not performance, it's who likes you.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Covington, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Covington, GA

I worked at Rollins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a good amount of money to be made even with little to no experience

Cons

Others were allowed to stay longer because either a male manager wanted to sleep with them or someone else in management liked them. It has little to do with performance.

Advice to Management

The turnover rate is high because of how management is run and the interoffice relationships are out of control. Married men and women have sex with their subordinates and it's the worst kept secret. They date to keep their jobs.

10. Could be great resting on old reputation

I worked at Rollins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Training, Well known Brand name

Cons

Too much fear and intimidation style management. Not open at all. Too much focus on the bottom line and not on the horizon. Military style management. Poor utilization of tech available.

Advice to Management

It has been said that the biggest waste is not utilizing the talents of your people. Employees are your greatest asset . Stop with the blame game, empower your people and pay them. Get up to speed on your paperless pursuit, Managers bottom line is not the way to motivate people, you will burn them out and the bad stay behind. Adopt Salesforce as your CRM tool.

I was a top sales rep, and abosultely dreaded being there

Current Employee - New Customer Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - New Customer Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Rollins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. I was the top sales rep, with sales revenue over a million annually. I think I took home 45k?? Thanks a latte.

Cons

I had the misfortune of landing at job at Rollins Customer Service center right after I graduated college. I was put on a "sales" team that had more meetings about "office gossip" than anything of real value. My manager at the time was unqualified to lead any group of people, and probably the most negative person in a leadership role that I have ever encountered. Our job security was threatened on a weekly basis, punitive action was practiced every day, and favoritism was at an all time high. The team even sunk to a low of deleting internal lead forms so their close ratio would be higher. Unethical, unbelievable, talent beware.

Advice to Management

Stop isolating and bastardizing people in the field. They work much HARDER & LONGER than the folks at the admin office. After the Rollins brothers are too old to run the family business, change the culture from the top down. Pay your folks a livable wage.